MFP vs IPOARM vs Level Obstacles

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Real talk, I lost my weight the MFP way, but the MFP way works well right out of the box for men while giving women a much too low calorie allowance (IMO). From what I've seen in my year on the boards, it's primarily women that have something to gain by following either IPOARM or Level Obstacles. Either method gives an alternative to weight loss that gives women a more realistic calorie goal while still letting them lose weight on a steady basis that avoids plateaus.

Yes it's usually lower for women. It's because women have a lower TDEE than men usually.

For example a woman with about 1,800 calorie TDEE and a man with 2,500 calories. Both want to lose 1lbs.

Women
    1,800 - 500lbs = 1300 calories(28% deficit)
    Man
    2,500 - 500 = 2,000 calories(20% deficit)

This is only a 1lbs loss, most people shoot for more and the deficit will be greater. The bigger your deficit the more likely you will stall out with your weight loss.

We're in agreement on principle, it's just that I always look at how things are applied in actual use. And nobody comes on here and sets themselves on 1 lb per week loss. They may only have 4 total pounds to lose, but they will still set their initial goals at 2 lbs per week and the female will get 1200 as a goal every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

We get sarcastic and snippy with them in the forums (and by we, I mean ME) for having only a few pounds to lose but setting their loss rate at 2 lbs, but they had no way of knowing that 1 lb or less would be so much more effective. No one comes arrives on this site with an advanced degree in nutrition and fitness. I'm sarcastic because it amuses me (and I'm an ahole) but the reason I keep answering the same questions over and over and over is because I understand where those folks are coming from and realize they had no way to know better until someone directly told them.

I would like to point out he's squatting 405 lbs in his ticker. That is all, carry on.

:laugh:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to drop my .02 cents and answer the OP...

The MFP method did not work for me. Actually, at first it did when I had close to 33% body fat, but when I got down to 26% body fat and lower, I stalled, and no amount of tweaking the thing seemed to work. I did not put myself at sedentary, but rather I used lightly active (at work, 90% of my day is driving, when I am not working, I am a couch potato, but I make myself walk at least an hour day anyway) and I set my goal at either half a pound or 1 pound per week loss. The calorie amount it spit out for me was still too low. Even with exercise calories, I was only getting 1600 or so on most days.

A couple of years ago, I purchased Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle book and have been using those principles to guide my dietary goals. On his website, there is a nifty calculator that estimates TDEE and then follows up by showing you approximations for TDEE-10%, TDEE-20%, and TDEE-30% for different exercise levels. When I stalled with MFP but still had about 26% body fat, I used his calculators at the TDEE-30% for people who workout about 5 days a week. I started losing again. When I got down to 22% body fat, I stalled again. I turned to the people of MFP for advice---

1. The first set of advice I received was from IPOARM people telling me to eat more calories. They showed me their calculators, and when I used them, I was undereating about 300 calories.
    2. The second set of advice I received was from Obstacles people telling me to eat more calories. I was also undereating by about 300 calories according to them.
    3. And the third set of advice told me to lower calories to about 100 less that what I was eating. I chose not to do this.

Now, going back to Tom Venuto's website, I entered in my current statistics and exercise level and according to that website, I was undereating by about 300 calories a day since my TDEE had raised and I was working out more than before. I hadn't taken weight loss and more activity into account as in, I didn't change my goals after I had changed. That was my real issue. I just didn't know it.

So, I upped my calorie goal to around 1800 calories and I am getting leaner and leaner each week. So basically, the calculators for IPOARM and Obstacles were pretty darn close to the BFFM calculators as they spit out very similar numbers for me. MFP still tells me to eat 1260 calories plus exercise which is way too freakin' low for me.

As for the macros, I set those according to what I have learned from Tom Venuto's and Lyle McDonald's websites and articles on nutrition. IPOARM describes this well, neither Obstacles nor MFP does (in fact, I believe MFP to be all jacked up/wrong when it comes to macro goals).

For me, a rule of thumb to follow is that if you are obese or have a lot to lose, TDEE-30% will work well. For most others, TDEE-20% is sufficient. For the lean trying to get leaner, TDEE-10 or 15% is better since you don't want to lose LBM at an excessive rate.

If I had simply re-entered my numbers into the BFFM calculator instead of using the old numbers when I was about 10% more body fat than I am now, I would not have stalled out recently. I think that it is important for people to recalculate things with every 10 or so pounds or 5 or so % of body fat change, because your calorie needs will change with those numbers. Of course, this is something that Pu was trying to hit at with those threads that kept being deleted...
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm... so watch should I weigh? 5'2 , 100 pounds. Healthy. I really don't care for formulas and predictions. I go my my ability to move my body. Why are all of you fighting over formulas?

*i'm so over pop up docs.

Didn't seem like fighting....more like discussing the pros/cons whats working / what's not how to improve etc.... If your healthy, happy and content with yourself then I guess you should weigh 100 lbs and stay at 5'2.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this BMR calc. So, what are your thoughts on averaging the BMR. I used http://1percentedge.com where I could select an average of several BMR's. Its a IMF calc. which looks complex but after playing with it quite a bit, I found it useful.

I liked that one too, but wasn't as quick and dirty as a spreadsheet.

I know the Katch is based off analyzing other studies, and it slightly underestimates calorie burn for obese, since fat is somewhat metabolically active, and the formula has a built in assumption of ratio of fat to LBM that doesn't apply when obese.

But I think it with Mifflin is good combo. Katch by itself if you have valid bodyfat test, or many different bodyfat calcs that are all within 5%. 5% spread doesn't change the BMR that much.

At least that under estimate for obese might balance out eating more than logging unintentionally. Or at obese, doesn't matter as much.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out he's squatting 405 lbs in his ticker. That is all, carry on.

Thank you, I was trying to add that up too, but the smaller weights on the left fooled me.

that's the weight rack! everyone notices that tho. I may have to use a different shot for my ticker.

edited for derailment
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When I joined mfp, it set me way too low. So, I upped to maintenance, and it was still too low. I upped to the highest activity level, and it was still too low. I did not like the exercise calorie way because then on days that I didn't exercise, the calories were set too low, and I also needed to try and add my exercise before I did it, in order to eat enough that day (particularly if I exercised in the evening). So, basically whichever method you choose and however you do it, calculating a specific deficit from your TDEE is generally much better, in my opinion. That's what works for me and what I need. I did not have a lot of weight to lose and realized I just needed to be at maintenance, while working on my fitness (I did not need to eat at a deficit). My situation is different from most people on here, but I would always choose to calculate based off of my TDEE (and for me I will always eat more than what most of the calculators claim my TDEE is).
  • Happywitme
    Options
    are you serious...you lost 158 pounds??? mouth wide open!!! HELP ME PLEASE
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Thank you, I was trying to add that up too, but the smaller weights on the left fooled me.

that's the weight rack! everyone notices that tho. I may have to use a different shot for my ticker.

till I change the ticker i'll just leave this here.

jYKluy0.gif

Nah, just let me and others think your left side is so much stronger you got some 25's added on that side.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    They are all based on the same principles, really.

I prefer IPOARM, because it's working better for me than MFP's number ever did, and I can physically see what adjustments I can make, why I would, and how they're affecting me. The IPOARM spreadsheet is incredible, as well.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm... so watch should I weigh? 5'2 , 100 pounds. Healthy. I really don't care for formulas and predictions. I go my my ability to move my body. Why are all of you fighting over formulas?

*i'm so over pop up docs.

Didn't seem like fighting....more like discussing the pros/cons whats working / what's not how to improve etc.... If your healthy, happy and content with yourself then I guess you should weigh 100 lbs and stay at 5'2.

I am. Thank you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If people put reasonable information/targets into any of the methods, they all will work, or all may not work. None take into account metabolic issues and all use online calculators that may or may not approximate an individuals' personal circumstances.

My main issue with MFP is the description of sedentary. Most people will find that unless they are truly sedentary (i.e. virtually housebound), they will have a higher TDEE than assumed by MFP and as such will give too low of a calorie target. The online calculators, which are used by IPOARM and Level Obstacles, while still using broad assumptions, at least appear to have a more reasonable assumption of NEAT baked into them - but not actually by that much from what I can tell. At least the ones that include some activity seem more reasonable.

ETA: in response to the specific question of what I use...none of them. I use my actual results to tweak my intake.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have lost the bulk of my weight following MFP, its easy and works.

Me too. It is also perfect for maintenance. I've been consistently 1-2 pounds up or down from goal for over two years now (depending on TOM). That's pretty darn precise.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I personally do similar to Sara, I go based on my results. I got derailed for a long time, but my method most closely resembles Level Obstacles. It's also the method I recommend to newbies. Although I've never followed it, I used to recommend IPOARM. I think it's gotten far too complicated though. I believe for most people weight loss methods should be simple and easy to follow.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I used the old IPOARM (before other contributors) as it is fairly easy to follow. I found the fat2fitradio.com calculators useful to guestimate my bodyfat.

Now I think level obstacles is the best if you are just starting out and don't want to be intimidated by calculations. But it wasn't around when I started MFP.

ETA: MFP settings only work if you eat back all your calories even if it's walking. Although this is motivational for some people, I found it tedious. Also, IMO the macros settings are way out, especially if you are doing cardio and/or weightlifting.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I followed MFP's method for part of it, and IPOARM for part of it. Now I would do Leveling Obstacles because it's simpler and easy to follow. If you do use MFP I think you should do it as designed, set a reasonable goal based on body fat and eat back exercise calories.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP settings - got 1200 cals (of course, female 5'2) starved for a week.

Read IPOARM (several times) upped my cals felt happier lost 10lbs.

Started NROL4W and used their calculations upped cals again - lost 8".

Read Level Obstacles and saw that this was a much simplified explanation for noobs and wished I'd had this when I started.

I now recommend Level Obstacles to noobs as I think it is easier to understand when you are starting out, IPOARM has just become far too complicated - most people don't know their body fat starting out and the wall of text can be so intimidating, plus there are how many versions and spin offs?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

My main issue with MFP is the description of sedentary. Most people will find that unless they are truly sedentary (i.e. virtually housebound), they will have a higher TDEE than assumed by MFP and as such will give too low of a calorie target. The online calculators, which are used by IPOARM and Level Obstacles, while still using broad assumptions, at least appear to have a more reasonable assumption of NEAT baked into them - but not actually by that much from what I can tell. At least the ones that include some activity seem more reasonable.

I totally agree with this. I think a lot of people think they're sedentary when they aren't. That was true for me, and I didn't realize until I was at my goal weight that I should have had it set on lightly active. I'm disabled and a housewife with no kids, and even I'm not sedentary by MFP standards.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If people put reasonable information/targets into any of the methods, they all will work, or all may not work. None take into account metabolic issues and all use online calculators that may or may not approximate an individuals' personal circumstances.

This lady gets it...

Obsessing over your exact TDEE figure is simply pointless. There is little way to establish it with any degree to accuracy unless you check yourself into a metabolic ward. In addition TDEE is highly variable for the individual not only on any given day but also weekly and monthly and yearly (given changes in lifestyle and so on.)

In addition IIRC the Harris Benedict activity multipliers are based on data for 1920s population (I will have to double check that though as this is from memory.) It is hard to know if they are even truly applicable with any accuracy to modern lifestyles.

All of them are simply estimates. Pick the method, any method, and apply it. Reassess results periodically. Tweak. Profit.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    They all have good things so let's focus on the pro:
    Level - + Simple
    IPOARM - + Comprehensive
    MFP - + has an interface
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I started out with mfp. I asked to lose 2lb because the NHS says that you should try to lose 1-2lb a week, so that seemed reasonable. It gave me 1200kcal and I ate all my exercise calories (i even logged washing up!) and I lost over 3lb a week, which wasn't what I wanted as I only had 10lb to lose. I reduced the 2lb to 1.5 lb and it still gave me 1200kcal. It finally upped them slightly if I asked for 1lb loss. I continued to lose too fast, really. When I reached goal and switched to maintenance, I still lost, so I upped my activity level, until there were none left to add, then I added calories manually, until I got to 2450kcal + exercise.

When I got a fitbit I found it thought my burn was almost always higher than my burn at the highest mfp level, but still lower than reality. Basically, some factor somewhere means calculators don't work for me. This may be poor logging, or something metabolic, but really it doesn't matter as long as I know what works for me.

Just prior to getting pregnant, I was trying to lose a little weight and found 2400kcal gross was my sweet spot. Any less and I'd end up eating 2700kcal plus every few days because I was hungry! :laugh:

So, I'm pro reality rather than calculators. My advice to a newbie would be to try out mfp maintenance calories first and see what happens. If you lose (I would have!) stick there, if you gain, try sticking there for a few weeks before gradually reducing. I know this doesn't fulfill people's lust for immediate results, but I think it would be both sane and simple.