Why running and cardio alone aren't giving you what you want

Options

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

I hate the cardio vs. weight training debate.

Want to do only cardio? Great!
    Want to do only weight training? Great!
    Want to do a mix of both? Great!

Thank you so much, Mr. Tyler, sir.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    They both have their pros and cons. Both can be beneficial and both can be over done. Not sure why a new one of theses threads has to pop up daily.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    To me this just sounds like someone who hates cardio and wants a valid excuse to never do it again.

Everything in moderation.

I like to run, and will continue to do so until the day I die. I've never seen an overweight runner. I don't spend hours every day, running though.

Really? I see overweight runners in my gym every single day.

OMG ! I have seen bunches of overweight lifters !
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I thought it was poorly written. The author lost me in the beginning dissing people bench pressing and doing curls, and also dissing cardio. WTF is he/she talking about? I didn't read the whole thing, because as I said, whatever message they were trying to convey, they failed right from the start, iMO.

This. I couldn't stomach the article because of the way it was written. Whatever good points the author had were lost throughout by the patronizing, biased way they wrote it.

Agree with both of you. I do about 30 minutes of cardio and weight training in addition to it.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just do both.

Before I found weights, I only ran. I trained for a marathon. I defiantly was not fat, but then again, I did HITT training along with the long runs.

Now I do Oly lifting and running. Three days a week running HITT style (3-4 miles with 1.5 mile warm up and cool down). I lift on my own twice a week and Oly classes twice a week. On the days I lift, I usually spend an hour or so on the stair machine.

Anyway, my body loves it. I have tons of energy (but I'm also eating enough to fuel my workouts).

I was recently told there is no such thing as over training, only under recovery. This was from a coach who trained in both sprinting and Oly lifting.

Eat enough, sleep enough and do what you like!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    This article is not entirely true! Cardio also helps for fat loss but exercise or the intensity should be changed every month to challenge and shock your body for fat loss.I personally love running.It has really toned my thighs and glutes and my arms have become smaller..I lift weights but just so that I don't lose muscle.I run 4-5 days a week and do strength training 2-3 times a week...I don't know how much T3 is related to cardio...

Body will definitely react to a different exercise..in the above case..that doesn't mean she had to stop running!
    Cardio helps for calorie burn. Calorie deficit helps for fat loss. What many don't know is that one burns more fat sleeping than running on a treadmill or outside for 2 hours.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've done nothing BUT cardio since I started 15 months ago. Fat loss has been perfect. Lost all I needed to & then more. Fitness is perfect, even the PT at the gym has told me that I did the best thing by getting my fitness up 1st & that way I can do just about anything. I can, I know it.

I don't see a damn thing wrong with cardio only. I mix it up all the time. I run & have to force myself to stop. I don't like weights so I don't do them, but I do other strength training just because I want to not because I have to.

I hate people who say "dont do just cardio, it's not goo for you"

Bull****.
  • FeelGoodNow13
    FeelGoodNow13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cardio is a great way to burn calories. Weightlifting isn't for everyone, I would rather work with my own body weight as resistance than lift all the time.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I find that article interesting. thankfully I exercise moderation in everything I do - I will strength train at least 2 days a week and running is about the same; I don't run neither because I want the pounds to melt off. Well sure part of a fitness program is for weight management but I do it because I enjoy it! Run 2-3 times a week for an hour or so, maybe go for a half hour swim here and there and lift weights or if hitting the gym's not possible have a resistance program at-home and voila!
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Cardio is a great way to burn calories. Weightlifting isn't for everyone, I would rather work with my own body weight as resistance than lift all the time.
    there is no difference between the 2 other than preference. the body doesn't know if it's doing a maximal force bodyweight movement or a barbell movement. resistance is resistance. And it's also a great way to burn calories.
  • phjorg
    Options
    I've done nothing BUT cardio since I started 15 months ago.
    but I do other strength training just because I want to not because I have to.
    I think you're confused as to what cardio only means...
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    And also exercise. Diet and exercise combined yields results.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

Nope because it's only in the past months I've done anything other than cardio. I'd lost all my fat through cardio alone. How am I confused?
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    I thought it was poorly written. The author lost me in the beginning dissing people bench pressing and doing curls, and also dissing cardio. WTF is he/she talking about? I didn't read the whole thing, because as I said, whatever message they were trying to convey, they failed right from the start, iMO.

Ditto. Too long of a novel for me to read. I got it for the most part, but honestly, a mix of both cardio & weights can be the best thing for a lot of people. Cardio burns a HUGE amount of calories for me, and weight-lifting gives definition and strength. Plus the lifting ups my calorie burnage for hours after the fact.
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • phjorg
    Options

Nope because it's only in the past months I've done anything other than cardio. I'd lost all my fat through cardio alone. How am I confused?
    so you have done nothing but cardio, except for months ago when you're doing things other than cardio. k, got it...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

so you have done nothing but cardio, except for months ago when you're doing things other than cardio. k, got it...

For 14 months I did nothing but cardio. Now for the last 1 month only I been doing strength as well. Only the last month. Before that it was Zumba, Running. You know.... full on cardio. Not one thing other than that.
  • phjorg
    Options
    For 14 months I did nothing but cardio. Now for the last 1 month only I been doing strength as well. Only the last month. Before that it was Zumba, Running. You know.... full on cardio. Not one thing other than that.
    now we're talking. out of curiosity, did you regularly try and push your limits with cardio? As in the lactic acid threshold limits? springing, intervals, zumba movements that were full bodyweight, etc? Because if so, then thats not cardio any longer. And the article is void for you as it's not talking about people who do things other than cardio. only for those who just do steady state.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The author's tone was too bias and critical to be successful as a good argument. Many people will immediately disregard a long article like this just because it comes across as hateful and long-winded. His point could have been made in one simple paragraph without all the patronizing.
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Saving for review. A lot of mixed opinions on this topic