Cheat Days

Options
Does anyone on here have a" cheat day" one day out of the week?? I tried this today and have not weighed myself yet. I kind of felt guilty after I ate the foods tho. I guess my real question is does anyone practice a cheat day and still manage to lose weight on their weigh in day??

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have never done this but want to read other people's responses
  • Hughesers
    Hughesers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think is it better if you have a night out planned, or a day with mates, save 100 calories every day in the run up to the day and get exercise in too, an hour at the gym or an hour and half walk and you have plenty of calories to have some treats, then all you hard work isn't wasted
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Does anyone on here have a" cheat day" one day out of the week?? I tried this today and have not weighed myself yet. I kind of felt guilty after I ate the foods tho. I guess my real question is does anyone practice a cheat day and still manage to lose weight on their weigh in day??

you don't put on fat in 2 hours after eating a meal. You put on weight because food weighs something... my weight fluctuates about 3lb during the day because I'm continuously eating, drinking water and using the bathroom.

I have designed my diet in such a way that I don't feel the need for cheat days... if I have eaten super well and have a few hundred calories then I get my chocolate. If I really want something deep-fried, I have a very small serving. Through moderation it's quite easy to avoid binges.

Last time I had a bad day as I didn't have any options, and stuck with a TGI Friday's burger. Let's just say I couldn't use the bathroom for days, was bloated, lost all my energy and felt horrible that afternoon and all the next day. Your body tells you what you can and can not cheat with. For me it's processed meats and gluten. NO THANKS!
  • jffrydale
    jffrydale Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have used sunday as a cheat day since I changed my eating habits. I think its the reason I can stay on task for months without giving up. I currently lose about 2-3 lbs a week, normally eat about 16-1800 calories a day except for sunday and don't worry about It . have lost approx. 40 since the beginning of the year.so the cheat day plan works for me...I should add though that the cravings I had when I started are mostly gone now and when I do have them it doesn't take much to satisfy...probably the biggest calorie add is alcohol and if that's my only bump in my diet/lifestyle, I can live with that
  • laurenh729
    laurenh729 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    every other friday night id have a cheat meal. (it was always chinese food) it kept me on track for those 2 weeks and still lost weight. the instructors at the gym even said they would have a cheat meal once a week, but to never completely over do it. work for it and plan for it, eat a light lunch, do an extra 15min on the treadmill, or do a heavy duty cleaning before going out to eat. Its a lifestyle change, so you still have to do the things you enjoy, just within reason. i've maintained for almost 2 yrs and def have a cheat meal once a week.
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    I know that to each their own journey and own choices. My advise is they are not good nor bad. It just depends on if you can handle them. I feel it helps some not feel deprived. It might slow the speed of your weight loss but will make the journey more sustainable if you can get back on track the next day.
    Some people can't handle it and go to extreme and then binge bad for several days and can get really derailed if they don't know how to jump back on plan.
    In my journey I personally don't have them persay planned out but they do happen because I am human and slip up and binge out and I just say that was my treat day/ cheat day. But do what works for you.
  • sambor2
    sambor2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I fir try that and never lost. I kept starting over. It might work tor you.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat, if I want something I have it...... if I don't have the cals I workout so I can. for me this is a lifestyle not a diet
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I have a couple friends who religiously have cheat days, and they're losing weight pretty steadily.

Personally, I don't cut out anything I enjoy. I just budget it in, and I'm losing wonderfully.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'll have a cheat meal ( mmmm red lobster's lobster bisque and chedder biscuits!) but not a full day :)
  • Healthynut31
    Healthynut31 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Have used sunday as a cheat day since I changed my eating habits. I think its the reason I can stay on task for months without giving up. I currently lose about 2-3 lbs a week, normally eat about 16-1800 calories a day except for sunday and don't worry about It . have lost approx. 40 since the beginning of the year.so the cheat day plan works for me...I should add though that the cravings I had when I started are mostly gone now and when I do have them it doesn't take much to satisfy...probably the biggest calorie add is alcohol and if that's my only bump in my diet/lifestyle, I can live with that
    Thanks!! Since you still managed to lose weight, this post serves as a motivator!! :drinker:
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I have a couple friends who religiously have cheat days, and they're losing weight pretty steadily.

Personally, I don't cut out anything I enjoy. I just budget it in, and I'm losing wonderfully.
    Its showing!! Keep up the good work and thanks for the comment!!
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I'll have a cheat meal ( mmmm red lobster's lobster bisque and chedder biscuits!) but not a full day :)
    This makes perfect sense!! Thanks!!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    If you have a "cheat" day, you might feel better calling it a "spike" day, where you allot yourself more calories than usual, or just splurge on one really good meal. I allow myself to do this 1-2 times a week so I can go out to dinner if I want or just enjoy something like a good dessert. :) I did this most of the time while I was losing weight and other than a day or two of water retention, my progress wasn't hindered at all.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    every other friday night id have a cheat meal. (it was always chinese food) it kept me on track for those 2 weeks and still lost weight. the instructors at the gym even said they would have a cheat meal once a week, but to never completely over do it. work for it and plan for it, eat a light lunch, do an extra 15min on the treadmill, or do a heavy duty cleaning before going out to eat. Its a lifestyle change, so you still have to do the things you enjoy, just within reason. i've maintained for almost 2 yrs and def have a cheat meal once a week.
    Thank you!! Its nice to get others' perspective on things...
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

If you look at my diary, I have basically "cheated" all week because I was always over. I lost 2.5 lbs this week.
    Now, don't get me wrong though, I don't actually believe that I went over most of those days (except the day i was about 900 cals over) because I do not log when I walk to and from class work and the gym and I do not log my weight lifting/ab workouts with weights.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. The more you swerve from your life style change path, the harder it is to recover. One of the points of losing weight and getting healthy is to stop looking at junk food as a source of joy, elation, or pleasure. Eating healthfully can be a pleasurable experience. So much of my life has spent using food as an antidepressant that it is no wonder I had to start at 362 pounds. I still have a ways to go but I'm already starting to feel better.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    use cheat days like rewards you give your dog when training him not to piss on the carpet. if you eat clean there are things you are going to still desire so you should allow yourself to have those things every so often. once you body becomes adapted to eating a certain way you wont even crave those bad foods as much and the worst part is they wont even taste the same to you anymore.

you shouldn't even call them cheat days just take the 80/20 or 90/10 approach. 90% of the time you eat clean and 10% of the time you can have things that are not so good for you

usually my bad things of choice are usually pizza wings and chinese foods and french fries
  • bodsmack7958
    bodsmack7958 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do cheat days. I do one day a week. I'm still able to get 1-2 pounds loss a week. I do it because I feel I'm so strict during the week that I deserve a little break. Like someone stated above. It's not bad or good I think. All I know is that it has worked for me and I'm sure it hasn't worked for others. Try it and see how it goes. If it doesn't work for you then don't do it. Good luck!
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I dont eat up all my exercise calories for the week...I save around 1000 of them and then eat them back on the weekend...It works for me...