• gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    anything microwavable is bad.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

So my leftover dinner that consisted of a grilled pork roast is bad because I'm going to put it in the microwave to heat it up?? The popcorn kernals that I toss into a brown paper bag and pop in the microwave is bad?WATER that I heat in the microwave is bad??:huh: There are lots of things that are microwaveable that aren't bad.

Honestly OP I don't see anything wrong with ready meals if you have them once in a while. I bought a bunch of WW Smart Ones the other day when I was at the grocery store for the convenience factor. If I am in a hurry or just don't feel like making something to eat it's quick and it's easy. I don't see anything wrong with them. They're portion controlled too.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I basically live off them. I'm always so tired and rushed that they are just so quick and convienient. The only times I don;t eat them is when I go to a friends house who cooks, or I go out for dinner, or sometimes I will have an omlette or porridge.

I eat fruit and yogurt for brekkie, granola bar for a snack, ham and egg salad for lunch and usually more fruit/cereal bar snack in the afternoon. So it;s not like i'm not getting my nutrients.

I will make sure i'm always within my calories and try to pick the ones with less salt/sugar etc.

Are they really as harmful for your health as everyone says??

they're pretty bad. sodium like nobodies business - even the "low sodium" options.

learn to cook. it'll make you and your friends/family much happier in the long run! :)
    The Lean Cuisines that I eat for lunch are generally 600 or less mg of sodium. High? Yes, I suppose so, but they're actually substantially LOWER than a lot of other things I actually COOK. Granted, I'll buy a package of yellow rice because I have no clue how to make it from scratch. The yellow rice is 730mg per 1 cup serving. Add in ANYTHING else and my sodium for THAT meal is going to be far higher than the Lean Cuisine. Shrug...
  • Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends. I personally eat M&S fuller longer meals a few times a week and they contain nothing bad as far as I can see from the labels and are low in sodium. Plus they are very tasty.
    Just keep checking the labels and do what works best for your lifestyle.
    Jane
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the Michalena's dinners for a while. They seemed ok at first and I tried the various versions/flavours. I soon found that they all started to taste the same. I have to credit them for *inspiring* me to learn how to cook. Long story short, when you make it yourself, it will be cheaper, healthier and taste better.

The next time you have a "ready" meal, have a look at the ingredients and the nutrients. I have found that they are usually loaded with fat, salt or sugar or all of the above. Then you will usually get loads of MSG and other bizarre additives. Keep in mind that most of these "foods" are made in gigantic batches so they require special chemicals to just make the "recipes" work in huge industrial-sized machines. I knew a guy that worked in the food industry and he said he would *never* eat anything processed since he has seen what happens behind the scenes with some of these huge vats of "food".

Oh and don't ever believe that the companies that make these "meals" have your best interests in mind. They are driven by profit goals and whatever they can do to maximize profits, they will do. You're health is of no concern.

On a positive note, the internet is an amazing resource for great recipes. It's good to plan out your meals in advance so that you know what groceries you will need for the week.If you can drop a skinless boneless chicken breast in a frying pan (or barbeque or oven), then you're halfway there already. It's all pretty simple once you get started.

All the best on your fitness journey.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    . Anyway, we really don't know the risk,
    Nor do we 'know' the risk of a lot of 'normal' foods we eat. We presume they don't cause the nasty things that happen to some people, but there's rarely been much research in to it and what has, has usually had a nasty bias.
    So any food not in a metal container is bad?
  • drayco_
    drayco_ Posts: 17
    Options
    Some of these answers, wow.

Be careful who and where you get advise from..

Research research. If you have to ask why GMO is bad, maybe you should do some research.

Look at studies that show a rat fed nothing but GMO food and a rat fed regular feed. See what happens for yourself.

IMO, I wouldn't eat anything that's not organic and that has the least amount of ingredients. Microwaving strips a good amount of all the nutrients from the food. Then your eating dead food. You might lose some weight by eating those but at what cost. Most likely will develop some sort of cancer or other disease later down the road. Especially if your microwaving platics with your food. Most all the frozen ready meals are in plastic trays. Petroleum based.

I could go on but yeah. If you want to lose weight, it's easy. Eat right, eat smart, drink lots of water, stay away from refined sugars, wheats, dead foods, get plenty of rest, deal with any stress in your life so it's not bottled up, exercise, and maintain healthy relationships with people. Don't bottle up emotions. When you are stressed out, people use eating to cope. They don't always eat the best foods for that either.

Good luck everyone.

Cheers
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Cheers, I'll be careful not to feed rats GMO food, at least not pet ones.

Did the study, by any chance, specify a specific type of GMO food, rather than just 'GMO' food in general?

I've seen studies where they fed dogs chocolate.
    The dogs died!
    No way I'd eat chocolate again.
    (All lies - I still eat chocolate.)

I like 'ingredients'. I often adds lots of additives to food to add flavour. Reasonably comprehensive basket of 'shakers'.

So, care to provide some research that shows either a) all GMO foods are bad for humans because they've been 'GM', or that specific ones are?

Next - what happens to these nutrients that doesn't happen during another type of cooking when microwaved?
    Got some studies to back this up?*

Similarly with cancer or some other disease?
    What do you base this on.

If a plastic tray has been designed to be microwaved and shown not to be dangerous, what's the issue what it's made of?
    Do you have some research to back this up?

Yes, please do go - with some back up for your claims :).

This suggests the opposite. Infact, cooking in a microwave tends to lose less nutrients than boiling or baking.
    Steaming apparently is the best way.
    Compare to Other Microwave Cooking Research

As Dr. García-Viguera points out in her research paper, other studies don't show a high loss of nutrients with microwave cooking. In fact, the following two studies indicate that microwave cooking helps retain flavonoids better than other methods.

Loss of Flavonoids from Potatoes:

• Microwaved 45%
    • Boiled 60%
    • Baked 100%

Loss of Flavonoids from Tomatoes:

• Microwaved 65%
    • Boiled 82%

Microwaves are not the same as the particle-ionized radiation found in x-rays. They're non-ionizing electromagnetic waves between common radio waves and infrared frequencies. Microwaves pass through food to create the heat that cooks it.

Weighing all the research available, microwave cooking measures up equally to most other cooking methods. It also has the advantage of being fast, easy and cost effective.