Roasted Chick Pea Recipes?

Options
mudmonkeyonwheels
mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
I love roast chick peas when I buy them but I just made the first lot of my own and not so keen. How do you cook them? What oil do you use? and what spices?

Replies

• anna_louise90
    anna_louise90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe a baked version of falafel? Chickpeas, harissa paste, coriander, parsley, onion, garlic in a processor, salt/pepper if required and bake.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Preheat oven to 400
    Mix 1Cup of chick peas with chili powder, salt,pepper, garlic powder, and a little splenda.
    Put on baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes or until crunchy. I like the spicy sweet combo.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Do you use chickpeas that are already cooked before you bake them?
  • twinsbubbe
    Options
    Purchased some garam Masala at the Indian food store and boiled
    the chick peas in it. Very tasty, very spicy.
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you like curry, check out the recipe on this link for "Curried Cauliflower with Chickpeas" It is soooooo good - and only 143 cals ;)

I eat it over rice or as a side to chicken.

http://www.pandlkitchen.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-04-06T18:27:00-04:00&max-results=7&start=7&by-date=false
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I dry the chick peas (1 can/2 cups) then add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1-2 tbsp of whatever spice I want. Bake at 400 for 45 min and allow to cool on the tray for a while so they stay crunchy.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bumping this, yummy!!! :flowerforyou:

Slainte! :drinker:
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    I dry the chick peas (1 can/2 cups) then add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1-2 tbsp of whatever spice I want. Bake at 400 for 45 min and allow to cool on the tray for a while so they stay crunchy.

I roast mine this way and normally add black pepper,mixed spice and a sprinkle of Za'atar (To make your own Za'atar
    -1/4 cup sumac
    2 tablespoons thyme
    1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
    2 tablespoons marjoram
    2 tablespoons oregano
    1 teaspoon coarse salt)

The chickpeas become amazingly yummy! Great in salad, over couscous, as a side... :)
  • pinky_pinkster
    pinky_pinkster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing recipes guys, i'll definitely be trying them, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ooo yay I love these, saving for later :happy:
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just made these last week for the 1st time! I forgot to stir them about while cooking so the ones on the edges were too crispy, but ones in the middle were perfect- I used chili powder, garlic, a bit of brown sugar, and salt.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the recipies. Just bought some in the grocery store last week and loved them so wanted to know how to make my own. ~
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tag on to the original post but.... how do you prevent them from browning/burning?!?!

I had a recipe for roasted chickpeas (with olive oil, minced garlic, spices and parmesan cheese) that said to bake at 400 for 45 min.

I let the chickpeas air-dry after I rinsed them (as the recipe instructed me to) but the last few times I've made them they've browned on the bottom and stuck to my pan and made a huge mess. Any ideas? Help!
  • missyfarr
    missyfarr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    this ones my personal fav

about 1 cup chick peas
    1 good spray olive oil cooking spray (get the pan too)
    and McCormick Cajan seasoning

spray pan then lay out chick peas in a single layer spray chickpeas with the cooking spray and season to taste bake in oven at 350 until they are crispy
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tag on to the original post but.... how do you prevent them from browning/burning?!?!

I had a recipe for roasted chickpeas (with olive oil, minced garlic, spices and parmesan cheese) that said to bake at 400 for 45 min.

I let the chickpeas air-dry after I rinsed them (as the recipe instructed me to) but the last few times I've made them they've browned on the bottom and stuck to my pan and made a huge mess. Any ideas? Help!

Try putting them on parchment paper and see if that helps.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    bump