Do you really think rice cakes are healthy?

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Rice is not good for health

Care to explain why. Seriously, I am very interested. I am sceptic about many health claims online though so care to explain via some linked peer-reviewed studies why rice is not good for your health?

See, i have a been there done that experiences and i am telling from my own experience and not making up...

Rice contains a lot of carbs, these carbs when digested into the system is converted into fats and you know what happens when a lot of fat is accumulated in the body...

Rice is good for people who work very very hard like farmers and peasants of developing country and not for people in USA.

My weight loss was slow initially but became rapid when i completely abandoned rice!

I have eaten rice most of the 311 days I've been on MFP. I've lost 26% of my original body weight. I'm glad no one told my body that I couldn't eat rice. I'm not a farmer or a hard-working peasant, just a teacher.
  • tamcar007
    Options
    No I don't think they are healthy, they may be low calorie but most are highly processed with zero nutritional value. And if you are on a low caloric intake getting the most "bang for your bite" is a must, although I have them as a treat now and then rather than lays potato chips ! (Such as on a free day).

My motto is eating "lean and clean" and I do my best to only eat foods that adhere to being BOTH lean and clean. Rice cakes/crackers may be lean but they aren't "clean" therefore, they are not a daily food intake for me.

I prefer to have wasa rye crackers in place of rice crackers/cakes (or you could get brown rice cakes..they might be more nutritious), wasa rye crackers are very low calorie but are whole grain, so you at least get some fiber and a bit of iron. They are delicious with everything from peanut butter to cheese to a bread substitute so eat a couple of pieces with your eggs...spread on some avocado instead of butter and YUM!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think they are just one of those foods that are just...there haha. Like if you like them, great they probably aren't hurting you (unless you're like the girl who is allergic to rice. ;) ), but if you don't like them, then that's cool too, just more calories to spend on something else, if that makes sense. haha.

Agreed, I don't see why they are any worse than a myriaf of other low calorie foods. I eat them because people from on me eating hummus out of the tub. They are a low cal base for many things, the fact that they are nutritionally devoid doesn't really come up on my radar.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Care to explain why. Seriously, I am very interested. I am sceptic about many health claims online though so care to explain via some linked peer-reviewed studies why rice is not good for your health?

See, i have a been there done that experiences and i am telling from my own experience and not making up...

Rice contains a lot of carbs, these carbs when digested into the system is converted into fats and you know what happens when a lot of fat is accumulated in the body...

Rice is good for people who work very very hard like farmers and peasants of developing country and not for people in USA.

My weight loss was slow initially but became rapid when i completely abandoned rice!

I have eaten rice most of the 311 days I've been on MFP. I've lost 26% of my original body weight. I'm glad no one told my body that I couldn't eat rice. I'm not a farmer or a hard-working peasant, just a teacher.

Mam,

I have explained it in an earlier thread...let me repeat it....since i am not a caucasian but an asian ,therefore my body structure is very different.

Asians and more specifically south asians are prone to diabetics,obesity and heart diseases....

For us consumption of high carb food like rice is an option only if we are working very very hard!

Consumption of rice is not good if you are leading a sedentary lifestyle like desk job.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Mam,

I have explained it in an earlier thread...let me repeat it....since i am not a caucasian but an asian ,therefore my body structure is very different.

Asians and more specifically south asians are prone to diabetics,obesity and heart diseases....

For us consumption of high carb food like rice is an option only if we are working very very hard!

Consumption of rice is not good if you are leading a sedentary lifestyle like desk job.

Regarding South East Asia and diabetes ( from the International Diabetes Federation) http://www.idf.org/regions/south-east-asia

"Diabetes and its complications have become a major health problem in the region. There are currently over 45 million people with diabetes in the region. More than 95% of these people have type 2 diabetes, which comprises 20% of the current total world prevalence. Presently, India has the largest number of people with diabetes in the world, over 40 million. The sharp rise in the prevalence of diabetes is seen mainly in type 2 diabetes, as the prevalence of type 1 diabetes in the region is 1-2%. However, malnutrition-related diabetes constitutes a significant proportion of people diagnosed with diabetes before the age of thirty. This increase in the young is compounded by the recent increase of type 2 diabetes associated with overweight and obesity in the same age group.

The rise in type 2 diabetes is mostly evident in urban areas where rapid economic development has made people adopt a sedentary lifestyle and consume more refined foods. This leads to greater weight gain. However, rural communities are also experiencing an increase in the numbers of people with diabetes due to the commercialization of villages by market forces.

The reversal of this upward trend will require either the maintenance of/or return to typical village habits of high fibre intake, active lifestyle and the maintenance of ideal body weight."

Doesn't sound like rice is the problem, bub. In fact, sounds like if they went back to eating a non-refined diet (which has traditionally been very rice heavy) that diabetes trend may slow?
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks, for the post. I am going to get some rice cakes tomorrow.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Indeed, look at all those Asians wasting away, they'll be extinct soon.

Reminded me of a quote from the movie "The Lost Boys"- " Can a billion Chinese people really be wrong?"
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You people should really learn to read nutritional labels before making your assertions. Rice cakes are almost a completely pure carb source you can use them in many ways and meals.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Water has no nutritional value and is the most important thing for all life.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    oh and the white cheddar ones are yummy. A while back, my then two year old was crying and begging me for cake. My sons Godfather was watching this and was on the floor laughing when he realized my son wanted a rice cake :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    No rice!

:noway:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I can't remember ever seeing so many stereotypes in one thread.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    I wouldn't say they're healthy, but they are relatively low on calories and are satisfying :)
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Not really healthy since they lack vitamins and minerals but they are far from the worst.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I read this whole stupid thread and now I want rice and beans. Thanks a lot.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Blech.

Let's be real, most people eat them just for their lack of calories.

Do I love gnawing on cardboard? I'd rather not.

They also have a high GI, meaning your blood sugar will spike and crash, making you hungry soon after. A load of good the lack of calories will do if you need to grab another snack.
  • connielouivey
    connielouivey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    my sentiments exactly! too bad my blood sugar readings don't agree. :(
  • connielouivey
    connielouivey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    how ironic that my last post showed up under one about blood sugars! lol
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    they look like expanded polystyrene

they taste like how I'd expect expanded polystyrene to taste (but I don't know for sure, because I haven't actually eaten expanded polystyrene, as much as I felt that I was when I was eating rice cakes)

they probably have a similar nutritional value to expanded polystyrene

expanded polystyrene doesn't come in a range of different flavours though, so I guess rice cakes win by a narrow margin
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Water has no nutritional value and is the most important thing for all life.

:flowerforyou: :love: