Husband needs to exercise...just a rant.

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Is this what marriage is these days? Tricking each other into doing things?

Don't treat your husband like a child with the constant nagging or using sex as a carrot on a stick. He's a grown man. He can handle (and, frankly, he deserves) a grown-up conversation. Sit him down, look him in the eye, and say "I love you. I want better for you. It would make me really happy if you would start working out with me." And leave it at that. It has to be his decision, or it will never happen. Men don't like being told what to do. They're like people that way.
    Yeah, you're my internet love.:love:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • michaelp_
    Options
    My wife is also over weight but the fact is I love her to the ends of the earth. For years I tried everything I could think of the get her to exercise and eat better. I had to realize that she is who she is and I can either accept her or I can leave the relationship. I had to ask myself, if her weight and poor health an overriding factor in us being together; it was not. My happiness does not depend on her weight.
    Almost certainly, your husband is not going to lose weight, he is going to be this way for the rest of his life. There is nothing you can do about it. Now, why did you marry him? Probably, not because he was trim athlete. Probably, because he has qualities and character beyond his weight. Focus there. Your happiness does not depend upon his weight.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    How old are the kids? Maybe something to try would be to get the whole family involved, weather is getting nice, go on family walks, play basketball, softball, kickball, badminton anything outside that would make him sweat. I know a lot of guys who kick it into gear when their kids start challenging them and saying they could beat them. Pride and ego are two things that most guys love to have stroked and not damaged.

Q
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has the opposite problem. He's a rail, and I have more muscle than him. How can I nicely tell him to start, "Picking things up and putting them down" ? :laugh:

same reward system as I outlined above. It's universal.

And being a little stronger should help him go longer. Gotta have muscle for all that, uhm.. plank work.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My wife is also over weight but the fact is I love her to the ends of the earth. For years I tried everything I could think of the get her to exercise and eat better. I had to realize that she is who she is and I can either accept her or I can leave the relationship. I had to ask myself, if her weight and poor health an overriding factor in us being together; it was not. My happiness does not depend on her weight.
    Almost certainly, your husband is not going to lose weight, he is going to be this way for the rest of his life. There is nothing you can do about it. Now, why did you marry him? Probably, not because he was trim athlete. Probably, because he has qualities and character beyond his weight. Focus there. Your happiness does not depend upon his weight.

A spouse's poor health does affect your happiness. Would you be happier on a beach soaking up the sun or in a hospital wondering if your spouse is going to survive the heart attack? (Not saying its a reason for divorce... but happiness is very much tied to a spouse's well being)
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Don't treat your husband like a child with the constant nagging or using sex as a carrot on a stick. He's a grown man. He can handle (and, frankly, he deserves) a grown-up conversation. Sit him down, look him in the eye, and say "I love you. I want better for you. It would make me really happy if you would start working out with me." And leave it at that. It has to be his decision, or it will never happen. Men don't like being told what to do. They're like people that way.
    My dad never learned. Not after his heart attack on his 44th birthday. Not after getting diabetes at 60, but that was finally the wake up call for my mom to drop the weight. And he knows he's worth more dead (with his life insurance policy) than alive.
  • TehNoms
    TehNoms Posts: 86 Member
    Options

A spouse's poor health does affect your happiness. Would you be happier on a beach soaking up the sun or in a hospital wondering if your spouse is going to survive the heart attack? (Not saying its a reason for divorce... but happiness is very much tied to a spouse's well being)

I agree. It is perfectly fine to love your spouse for who they are on the inside. But when you are watching them struggle, like the OP is, then it affects you. Unless you are just completely void of all emotions. Which she is showing that she is obviously concerned for his well being, not just the number on the scale, and not the spare tire he may or may not have.

I have to agree that the life insurance policy seems like good idea. But just that. Maybe it would be a wake up call, maybe not. I dont like the new home and car ads laying around. That kind of seems like (just to me) like you would have given up on him. Which may or may not push him. But it can also hurt him. OP, you know your husband better than anyone, you would know how he would take something like this.

I am actually ALL FOR the "reward" system. If anything you both are burning some calories that way. And it might spruce things up a bit. Use some new things as "rewards". Maybe some toys, maybe some RP ideas. Write a bunch of ideas on notecards and throw them in a hat. When he reaches a goal, pluck one out. Im sure you have some goals OP. When you hit one, pluck one of the ideas out. People love sex, so why not use it? And as he gets in better shape, his attitude might improve, as well as his stamina, and maybe some more interesting ideas can go into the hat. Healthy sex life is important, so there you go. Another goal reached.
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Well, the thing is, as I said my Father passed away this March due to severe health complications. My Mother stuck by him right till the end, through all of his emotional abuse, watching him slowly die and refuse to change a damn thing. Pardon me if I refuse to be put through that again. I love him with all my heart and I don't want that to happen! I would like to live a beautiful, long life with him by my side all the way, enjoying life, not just being alive. I have many deep set issues with it and he knows all of it. We've talked about all of this numerous times, he knows how I feel, why I feel that way and that I am here for him. It's not tricking him into anything, it would be motivating him with the one thing I know he cant' get enough of. It would be me helping him live a better life for our whole family.
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that the life insurance policy seems like good idea. But just that. Maybe it would be a wake up call, maybe not. I dont like the new home and car ads laying around. That kind of seems like (just to me) like you would have given up on him. Which may or may not push him. But it can also hurt him. OP, you know your husband better than anyone, you would know how he would take something like this.

I am actually ALL FOR the "reward" system. If anything you both are burning some calories that way. And it might spruce things up a bit. Use some new things as "rewards". Maybe some toys, maybe some RP ideas. Write a bunch of ideas on notecards and throw them in a hat. When he reaches a goal, pluck one out. Im sure you have some goals OP. When you hit one, pluck one of the ideas out. People love sex, so why not use it? And as he gets in better shape, his attitude might improve, as well as his stamina, and maybe some more interesting ideas can go into the hat. Healthy sex life is important, so there you go. Another goal reached.

That sounds more like punishment, not reward. You are punishing the one you love for not meeting "your" goals. You are not rewarding them for meeting their goals. The OP's husband is not perfect here and I certainly feel for the OP frustration wise but telling some to hold back on sex as a "reward" is wrong.

And like you I don't really know the relationship you have your better half but how anyone could anyone think their spouse buying an insurance policy on them is a good thing and will make them feel better about themselves?

A married couple should for the most part already have some type of life insurance and if they don't, it should be something discussed by both, not used as a weapon to scare a spouse into doing something.
  • ShellGetsFit
    Options

My dad never learned. Not after his heart attack on his 44th birthday. Not after getting diabetes at 60, but that was finally the wake up call for my mom to drop the weight. And he knows he's worth more dead (with his life insurance policy) than alive.

That's exactly how it ended for my Father. That's a horrible way to live life and the worst is the rest of the family trying to learn to live with their decision.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't have a solution for him. But I have one FOR YOU.

Stop making yourself miserable by worrying about things you have no control over.

Peace.:smile:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Well, the thing is, as I said my Father passed away this March due to severe health complications. My Mother stuck by him right till the end, through all of his emotional abuse, watching him slowly die and refuse to change a damn thing. Pardon me if I refuse to be put through that again. I love him with all my heart and I don't want that to happen! I would like to live a beautiful, long life with him by my side all the way, enjoying life, not just being alive. I have many deep set issues with it and he knows all of it. We've talked about all of this numerous times, he knows how I feel, why I feel that way and that I am here for him. It's not tricking him into anything, it would be motivating him with the one thing I know he cant' get enough of. It would be me helping him live a better life for our whole family.

It sounds like in addition to dealing with your relationship with your husband you may need to reconcile your feelings regarding your father's passing.
    That sounds more like punishment, not reward. You are punishing the one you love for not meeting "your" goals. You are not rewarding them for meeting their goals. The OP's husband is not perfect here and I certainly feel for the OP frustration wise but telling some to hold back on sex as a "reward" is wrong.

How did you read that and come up with withholding sex? It sure sounded a lot like offering sex (and variety) to me...
  • ShellGetsFit
    Options

It sounds like in addition to dealing with your relationship with your husband you may need to reconcile your feelings regarding your father's passing.

Oh I certainly do! This I know, it's something I work at everyday in one way or another. It is also the biggest motivator for me to continue my journey. That and setting a good example for my girls.