HELP: I dont want muscles, Just want to get rid of flab!

Options
Hi everyone,

I wanted to lose about 25kg in total starting from 86kg to about 55kg. I have lost about 11kg up till not through just controlling my diet and incorporating minor exercises to my daily lifestyle like walking to and from college etc.

I am extremely pleased with my progress, but I would like to firm up my skin around my arms, like when I hold it out the skin under it kind of hangs loosely. Its not too bad, but I would like it to be more firm.

I just want to know roughly how much weight I would have to lift and how often including repetitions so that I don't get muscles and I just firm it up.
I hate muscles on a feminine body and I'm scared I might get it if I lift so please help me out on this!

Replies

• adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    1) To get BIG Muscles on a woman.. you would have to push heavy weights and drop your body fat by A LOT. We don't have the testosterone that men do to naturally build muscle at the rate they do.

2) Take a look at www.livestrong.com LOTS of advice there for women and weights. I squat 150 lbs and bench 100 lbs and dont have big muscles... however I have dropped a full size by burning the fat. You have to use weights that create some resistance to tighten up. So at first 5 lbs dumbells may be enough.. and next thing you know youll need 20 lbs.

But dont be to concerned about bulking up.. that comes with a lot of weight and fat loss.

Best of luck!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Lots of women doing StrongLifts 5x5 -- look it up, google is your friend.....
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You need to do something like 30 Day Shred. And actually look at pictures of normal women who lift - they are not monsters, they look amazing. When you say you 'don't want muscles' I think you are thinking of those crazy body building competitors - you really would be having to take all kinds of 'roids to get like that. You do want some kind of muscle - who wouldn't want to be stronger? People don't really aim for that weak looking catwalk skinny any more.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you but you body is already covered in muscles. They are literally every where.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    muscles aren't a bad thing...just don't do steroids. You could lift heavy 24/7 and still not get "he-man" look
  • kinsa2
    kinsa2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you, your advice is appreciated. But forget large muscles, I don't even want the smallest of toned muscles showing up on my arms. I want it to look just as it does without the flab, no tone no nothing.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Thank you, your advice is appreciated. But forget large muscles, I don't even want the smallest of toned muscles showing up on my arms. I want it to look just as it does without the flab, no tone no nothing.

Lipo might do it.
  • kinsa2
    Options
    lol, of course they are. Maybe i'm using the wrong word. But let me try and explain it. You know how your arms look before you've done anything to them, with a mild shape to them but with some flab in my case. I just want that bit of flab to go away but my arm to stay in that shape and not get the slightest change to it because I don't find it appealing. Is that possible?
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options

really? why not? muscles are beautiful!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Do tons and tons of cardio while eating next to nothing. That will make sure you have no muscle.
  • kinsa2
    Options
    I don't want to go down that path :) But thanks for the idea anyway :P
    I am prepared to lift weights, but I just would like some suggestions at how how much of them to do and roughly how heavy the weights should be so I could get the desired result.
  • bumblebums
    Options

Do tons and tons of cardio while eating next to nothing. That will make sure you have no muscle.

Yeah, but it will also not do much to get rid of "flab". I think we are at an impasse here.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Then honestly there's nothing you can do that *I* can think of. Simply by losing flab, your muscles will start to appear because the flab won't be "coating" them any more. Even if you don't do anything to try to *add* muscle, it's still there. *shrug* not possible?
  • kinsa2
    Options
    I personally just feel it wont look good on me and it takes the femininity of my body away. Of course though it looks great on other women, I just wont like it on myself
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Surely you want your body to have shape?
    Toned muscles give your body shape and in order for them to become toned and not just hang in pockets of flab you need to exercise and stress them.
    I don't like the overtly muscualr look on women either, I find it masculine ... but I do like a nice toned firm body. Lift light weights, lots of reps or as I prefer ... do yoga... but not that wishy washy no sweat yoga... do Kundalini Yoga. Check out Ana Brett's DVDs ... Kundalini YOga Flow Bootcamp is the best. It's beautiful, hard and it works. It will give you a lithe, lean, feminine tone ... if you do it regularly that is x
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I don't want to go down that path :) But thanks for the idea anyway :P
    I am prepared to lift weights, but I just would like some suggestions at how how much of them to do and roughly how heavy the weights should be so I could get the desired result.

Look, how about this. If you accidentally develop so much muscle that it troubles you, come back here for advice on how to get rid of it. What we have been trying to tell you is that it is quite difficult for a woman eating at a deficit to gain an appreciable amount of muscle.

You've already been given advice on what you need to do in order to get firmer muscles. Lift heavy, with low reps. Choose a weight that really challenges you (not 3 lb pink dumbbells), and do 5 sets of 5 reps. Do compound lifts (squats, chest press, deadlifts). There isn't much more to say.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Diet ...... without exercise ..... you will lose muscle mass this way.

Very low calorie diets (again no exercise) will cause even more muscle loss ..... oh & hair loss too. When you lose lots of muscle your metabolism slows down ..... this is one reason people try to hang onto as much muscle as possible.

I want to look "Fit" .... not skinny .... different strokes
  • kinsa2
    Options
    thank you, that was exactly what I wanted in a bit more detail :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to tell you this but you will have the arms genetics gave you. I am muscular but I know girls that lift a lot more weight withless muscles. it just how I am made.
  • kinsa2
    Options
    thank u