HELP: I dont want muscles, Just want to get rid of flab!

Options

Replies

• elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    must not bash op must not bash op...
    just to tell OP i have had to eat 3000 calories a day (eat beyond being full) and lift at least 100lbs with free weights. This stuff doesn't come easy.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Thank you, your advice is appreciated. But forget large muscles, I don't even want the smallest of toned muscles showing up on my arms. I want it to look just as it does without the flab, no tone no nothing.

I hate to break it to you, but the fat is covering up the muscles. If you lose the fat the muscles will be visible. :huh:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I hear atrophied limbs are all the rage these days.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    wth did i just read?
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    you would have to not workout... and not eat... not having muscles is the silliest thing I have ever heard!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you but you body is already covered in muscles. They are literally every where.

And are very important for supporting your skeletal structure.

Lifting heavy weights helps lower your risk of osteoporosis.

but females do not get "BULKY" unless they are really trying hard to be bulky.
    maintaining lean muscle helps your metabolism (so I keep reading) and keeps you from looking flabby as you lose weight.
  • Trechechus
    Options
    I found this video on Pinterest, and just watching it made my arms hurt, but it's designed to help tone your arms without bulking them up. Hope this helps! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=4dQOBbLnk7o

watching that video made my eyes bleed. around the 3 minute mark when she tried to fly back to jupiter or wherever in the universe she's from my brain exploded.

20120914120348Exploding-head_zps46de83a8.gif

I especially like how her hands shrank and her arms got shorter when she reached her arms straight out to the side. Magic! I wanna learn to do that!
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This has probably already been said, but I'm not going to read through 5 pages of replies...

According to the P90X program that I used, if you want bulk, use a heavier weight and fewer reps; if you want lean muscles (sounds like that IS what you want), use a lighter weight and more reps. That is, 8-10 reps for bulk, 12-15 for lean. The idea is to pick a weight at which the last rep or two is really hard. If the 15th is too easy, you need more weight. If you can't make 12 with the weight you have, try the next size down. And be sure you have good form with the weights you are using. Bad form is worse than anything.
  • Trechechus
    Options
    the_gym_will_bite_you_banner.jpg
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    ah, I have read further, you do not even want the 'smaller bit of toned up muscle"

in that case, just stick with cardio and eat at a caloric deficit until you get to th weight you want, then slowly increase to eat at maintenance check your TDEE (how many calories you need) every time you drop about 10 pounds as your caloric needs will change.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't want muscles, she doesn't want to look like she has muscles. I don't think anyone's helping her by telling her "you'll look so much better with muscles" - that's not what she wants and wasn't the question.

Usually if you want to fill out flabby skin you would have to have muscles, but since you don't want that, really all you can do is just try to lose as much fat as you can. Kind of a catch 22 because the more muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn. I guess really all you can do is just stick with cardio and eat at a deficit...and just keep going until you get to wherever you want.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    :sad:
    I found this video on Pinterest, and just watching it made my arms hurt, but it's designed to help tone your arms without bulking them up. Hope this helps! :)

Oh my....Tracy Anderson....nuff said......She makes me want to cry.....it's the most pathetic thing ever....All her stuff...:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :noway:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I give up.

Well, I for one appreciated your info, bumblebums.

OP, I want my body to look like Heidi Klum's. but you know what? I'm 5'6" tall and most of my body is torso, meaning I have the leg length of a shorter person. I will never look like Heidi. I look more like a reasonably fit mother of two. my belly area juts out from two pregnancies and my waist isn't narrow. That having been said, I hate to burst your bubble, but you will never look like those women UNLESS you have similar body shape, height, and genetic muscle shape as they do.

I understand ur point but the reason I chose those two ladies was because they are both of my height of 5ft 5 and have the same hourglass body shape. I am not wanting something I don't have, I just want the end results to look like that

Side note #1 is not hour glass, she is pear shaped. I cant tell with #2 and am guessing 3 isnt either. It's a pet peeve of mine. Only about 8% of women are hourglass figure but post a topic on it and you get 400 replies of people who claim to be hour glass. There nothing wrong with pear shape (of any other shape)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    :sad:

Oh my....Tracy Anderson....nuff said......She makes me want to cry.....it's the most pathetic thing ever....All her stuff...:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :noway:

I've seen her referenced here, usual negatively. I knew she was one of those women should lift heavier than 3 or 5 lbs. Then I saw that.

<insert Dav's gif>
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thank you, your advice is appreciated. But forget large muscles, I don't even want the smallest of toned muscles showing up on my arms. I want it to look just as it does without the flab, no tone no nothing.

really? why not? muscles are beautiful!

I totally agree. Muscles are the best part of the human body. I am very proud of mine. I have earned them
    to the OP: Please do not be afraid to get "toned". Good luck in your journey to health.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This has probably already been said, but I'm not going to read through 5 pages of replies...

According to the P90X program that I used, if you want bulk, use a heavier weight and fewer reps; if you want lean muscles (sounds like that IS what you want), use a lighter weight and more reps. That is, 8-10 reps for bulk, 12-15 for lean. The idea is to pick a weight at which the last rep or two is really hard. If the 15th is too easy, you need more weight. If you can't make 12 with the weight you have, try the next size down. And be sure you have good form with the weights you are using. Bad form is worse than anything.

Case in point of why we should NOT listen to Tony Horton. This is crap. Lots of reps is for endurance, not lean muscles. Lifting weights on a deficit at all, regardless of reps, will help you lose fat and NOT build muscle. To build those pesky muscles, you have to eat more, which is the OP is obviously not doing anyway.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    OP, I think what you're seeing is really a body fat percentage difference. Like the difference between 24-25% and 18-20. At the higher body fat level you're not going to see those defined muscle lines. However, if you do lift, properly, you will slightly increase the width of your upper back, thus making your hourglass figure more pronounced, and you will slightly increase your butt and thighs, which will also make your hourglass figure more pronounced. You can still maintain that soft, rounded appearance. Trust me, women nearly kill themselves to get to that third picture.
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just want to chime in this mess. OP, don't let anyone body police you. It's gross people saying they want you to have a body you don't want to have.

So, a couple of things: You can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. So just lose fat by being in a caloric deficit. Want to do this by eating less? Go for it. Want to add cardio? Sure. Want to do weight lifting? That's fine too. You won't gain muscle even if you lift heavy because you'll be in a deficit.

You can burn muscle by being in a deficit, by the way. It is a source of energy after all.

If you want to look like the women you showed us, unfortunately, they're incredibly photoshopped. I can guarantee that their bodies have been smoothed out for those pictures. They're either very skinny and smoothed out to hide that, or have fat covering their muscles.
  • SW1388
    SW1388 Posts: 24
    Options
    I think she left a long time ago lol you guys are mean
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I think she left a long time ago lol you guys are mean

She was here on the previous page, approximately 2 hrs ago. She seems to be doing ok.