HELP: I dont want muscles, Just want to get rid of flab!

Options

Replies

• hiimanupa
    hiimanupa Posts: 53
    Options
    So funny. Muscles are good and very sexy on a woman. Even the early female bodybuilders ( Cory Everson and Rachel Mclish) looked great and they had to lift very heavy weights to get there and be very disciplined in their eating so body fat percentages would be low. The female bodybuilders now look like they use steroids. It definitely is not natural. The style of lifting a normal woman does is not going to make you huge. You should look up Joyce Vedral. She uses weight lifting to shape her body and she is older and looks great. You can get sexy little muscles that add shape over your body if you train right. I hope to do it someday.

I understand, but that's a matter of opinion, I prefer not to have muscles showing up on my body :) I am entitled to wanting my body to be how I want it to be right?
    [/quote]

So I haven't been paying attention to the rest of this thread, but what if you lost *some* fat, lifted heavy, and then at the point when you feel as though you're muscles are getting more "defined", stop losing fat hence look firm yet not defined?

The reason I say this is that my muscles don't look super defined in my arms, and I've been lifting heavy as well... my arms definitely look "skinny", and I personally wish they were more defined and big looking, but for the time being, they have quite a bit of padding on them. The only time I look muscular is when I flex.

Of course, this means that you'll sacrifice losing fat in other places.
  • nekoxvampyx
    nekoxvampyx Posts: 163
    Options
    LMAO XD this made me laugh..it's amazing how many women think that if they lift weights they'll turn into the hulk lol IT DOESNT WORK THAT WAY !!!! UR BODY IS NOT DESIGNED TO GET LIKE THAT!! lol and everyone has muscles wether u choose to bulk up or not its up to you and your diet
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    Lol muscle is what burns fat away silly. Unless you do steroids. You won't have big muscles. Unless you're anorexic, that's the only way you can lose weight and not gain muscle. Trust me, I do strength training 3 times a week and cardio for 6 days a week, I still can't gain the muscle I want. We all lose differently.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I found this video on Pinterest, and just watching it made my arms hurt, but it's designed to help tone your arms without bulking them up. Hope this helps! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=4dQOBbLnk7o

lolwut?

Honey, she did NOT get those arms from dancercizing like an idiot.

But go ahead - she's happy to take your money - just like Dr Oz.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I found this video on Pinterest, and just watching it made my arms hurt, but it's designed to help tone your arms without bulking them up. Hope this helps! :)

lolwut?

What wrong with this vid!? I'm gonna do it, lol. My arms are pretty weak and push ups/planks is quite difficult for me. I bet this would help. I assume I'll get a similar burn as to when I played sword fighting on the Playstation Move for hours on end.

And btw, the video is free on Youtube, so how would she be "taking your money"?
  • SW1388
    SW1388 Posts: 24
    Options

lolwut?

"Dancercizing" is my new favorite word of all time...
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Light weights lots of reps and dont be tempted to go heavy with the weights!
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options

lolwut?

"Dancercizing" is my new favorite word of all time...

I like to dancercize! :3
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    OP, assuming that the body shape you want is in your genetic potential, I'd propose starting with body weight exercises, and then working on upping the weight. (Enough until it is challenging at less than15 reps).

There is no magic way to figure out how heavy that might be for you. For example, I can barely manage a pushup, but I can leg press my body weight..... I am very week in the upper body. You might be the reverse of me.

I would say, look around at your female relatives. What do their arms look like? My personal goals are shaped by my own shape, and what I see in my family. For example, I know there is no way my arms would ever look like the people you have pictured, I tend towards more definition than that. Don't want you to set yourself up for something that is improbable for your own body type.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

lolwut?

What wrong with this vid!? I'm gonna do it, lol. My arms are pretty weak and push ups/planks is quite difficult for me. I bet this would help. I assume I'll get a similar burn as to when I played sword fighting on the Playstation Move for hours on end.

She sells videos, nutrition plans, etc. Just $29.99. Then 2 more payments of $29.99 (I am not even kidding thats from her website).
    I am not really sure if the ones on Youtube are from her or not. Sometimes they are posted there without permission. Beachbody sells their videos and don't post on Youtube but you can find them on there for free.
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options

lolwut?

She sells videos, nutrition plans, etc. Just $29.99. Then 2 more payments of $29.99 (I am not even kidding thats from her website).
    I am not really sure if the ones on Youtube are from her or not. Sometimes they are posted there without permission. Beachbody sells their videos and don't post on Youtube but you can find them on there for free.

I hear hat you're sayin', and I think a lot of them sucker customers. Ima be real, I don't buy jack when it comes to exercise videos. The only vid I've ever bought was The Shred, but it was only ten bucks. I refuse to spend 80+ dollars on an exercise vid when I can either download it somewhere for free or just workout on my own.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Forgive me, I didn't read through all replies.

I actually think I understood what OP was trying to say from the beginning. I think people somewhat unfairly jumped on her accusing her of not understanding that you don't instantly become a very defined muscular woman. I think OP's original question could be rewritten as: "I have a specific type of feminine curvy figure I would like to maintain as i lose weight. The look I hope to achieve is that of someone with a softer but healthy body fat percentage. Currently I have flab and skin on my arms that I want to tone up and decrease, so I'm looking for suggestions on a good weight routine because I am a novice. I am not aiming to be very ripped or get a body fat percentage under 20, I'm shooting for a curvy look but need to decrease some flab. What is a good weight lifting routine for a beginner?"

She never once said a woman couldn't be more muscular and attractive she just said it wasn't her preference. I think some folks were rushing to judgement and being unfairly negative. Not everyone has the same level of information about fitness.

To the OP: lifting heavy weights, particularly for your upper body, will help. Simply stop or modify the routine when you've achieved close to the look you desire. As others have said you won't accidentally get ripped, and a heavy weight routine doesn't mean you'll get too muscular because you control when you stop lifting. If your body type is naturally a higher BF and curvy to begin with it won't suddenly reform, and a good lifting routine will help the toning issues. Continue to eat at a deficit and body fat will decrease accordingly. Google heavy lifting for women and see what types of programs you find suitable. Also consider workout DVDs, hand weights for home, and yoga and Pilates. Heavy lifting is a wonderful thing but many MFPers act as though its the ONLY option when it's not. Find what works for you.

Bottom line- weight and strength training will help get rid of the flab on your arms. You will not get muscular like a fitness model all of a sudden. Just stop when you have the desired results and switch to maintenance,

Good luck!
  • SW1388
    Options

I hear hat you're sayin', and I think a lot of them sucker customers. Ima be real, I don't buy jack when it comes to exercise videos. The only vid I've ever bought was The Shred, but it was only ten bucks. I refuse to spend 80+ dollars on an exercise vid when I can either download it somewhere for free or just workout on my own.

So how hard did the people at the video store laugh when you slammed 10 bucks on the counter and demanded a copy of "The Shred" ?
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options

So how hard did the people at the video store laugh when you slammed 10 bucks on the counter and demanded a copy of "The Shred" ?

Er...I'm confused. Are you teasing me for shortening "Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred" to "The Shred"? Well, excuuuuuuse me, lol. : )
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thank you, your advice is appreciated. But forget large muscles, I don't even want the smallest of toned muscles showing up on my arms. I want it to look just as it does without the flab, no tone no nothing.

why?
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    .......sigh
  • SW1388
    Options

Er...I'm confused. Are you teasing me for shortening "Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred" to "The Shred"? Well, excuuuuuuse me, lol. : )

Ohhh lol I thought there was an actually workout video named the shred which would've been hilarious lol sounds so 80s
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP just eat in a deficit and don't work out then ...problem solved...
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options

Ohhh lol I thought there was an actually workout video named the shred which would've been hilarious lol sounds so 80s

Ha ha, that would be funny! I immediately thought of that Jim Carey skit on "In Living Color". Duuude, I totally want an old aerobics vid from the 80s now, lol, that sounds awesome! XD I also want to try one of the Richard Simmons videos, he's hilarious and so darn positive! He's even got a new one out, he' still going strong and that's pretty dope!
  • SW1388
    Options

Ha ha, that would be funny! I immediately thought of that Jim Carey skit on "In Living Color". Duuude, I totally want an old aerobics vid from the 80s now, lol, that sounds awesome! XD I also want to try one of the Richard Simmons videos, he's hilarious and so darn positive! He's even got a new one out, he' still going strong and that's pretty dope!

His bones have to be dust at this point lol glittery dust