Eloping, incredibly romantic or incredibly selfish?

Options

Replies

• TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Young... well, I have to say that's not the only consideration. My impression is more that many marriages fail because the two folks involved didn't really know each other very well, didn't have enough common ground, or didn't have similar ideas of what marriage should be like. Maybe that's a maturity issue, or maybe it's as much a communication issue as anything. I was 22 when we got married. We've certainly had a couple of rough patches, but we were committed to each other and the marriage and brought it back to a place we both wanted to be. Involving God and examining your compatibility and commitment before taking the plunge is smart and a good step toward making a lasting partnership.

I don't know if you'd call what we did eloping or not. I wanted a small wedding (in terms of guest list) but with the trimmings. I REALLY wanted to get married in a Fay Jones designed chapel. But we had no money and very little time because we spent so much time working at multiple low-paying jobs. And then my husband-to-be started working away from home for all but a very few days a month, making planning how to carefully spend what money we could put into a wedding on things that would please both of us. In trying to figure out how we could resolve this on one of his 72-hour breaks, we wound up getting married at the courthouse by the JP with little notice to friends. Family wasn't local. No friends made it to witness the wedding. Spent our last $25 on the license, went out to lunch at a nice restaurant (paid on a credit card), and then took a nap that afternoon because he had to report for work (and to leave town) at 10:30 that night. Was it the wedding I wanted? Not really. Did I get the husband I wanted? It's been 24 years and I'm happy to be his wife still, so yes, I think so. At first we said we'd do up a nice ceremony for a vow renewal down the road. But at 10 years, I was pregnant. And at 15 years, I was pregnant. Now? It's not so important. I'd rather have some quiet downtime alone with him than a ceremony with beautiful trappings, friends, and family. A camping trip for the two of us sounds awesome... but then years and fiscal practicality have tempered my feelings on the subject.

To your point on family participation... in my case, I think my parents were fine with it, if a little shocked. My husband's dad heard it from his mom (they were long divorced), and called a day or two later while my husband was out of town. He cried. I can't recall how my mother-in-law took it, honestly, but she doesn't hate me now ;-) Is it selfish if you get married in a way that is just for yourselves? I don't really think so. The marriage is yours to make or break, and the wedding is your first step. Do as much or as little as pleases you. If you want a dressed-up traditional ceremony you can certainly find resourceful ways to have many of those things more frugally. I personally would really enjoy having someone ask me to make things for their wedding or help them shop for bargains to help them have a special day while saving on costs. I've made veils, jewelry, and food for past weddings. Maybe that would be another way for you to include the other important people in your lives? If you would like to have family present, do what you reasonably can to make it possible for them to attend the ceremony or a reception of some type, but don't let anyone tell you it has to be done only a certain way, and don't feel obligated to pay others' expenses to attend unless you are asking them to fulfill a specific role in the event. It's a commitment between the two of you to a lifetime of love and work and play together.

Oh, and incredibly romantic? Nah. Not that either.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy the day and getting to that point.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Incredibly romantic.. especially to a tropical island..
  • SquidandWhale
    SquidandWhale Posts: 259
    Options
    I will see your dilemma and raise you this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzjDAlcAwIo

Enjoy.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    You're 22 - why rush to get married?

because they want to. that's not really your business.

Then why ask people's opinions on a public forum?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Well, to be fair, she didn't ask if she should get married at 22 did she?

Everyone matures at a different rate. I met my husband when I was 23 and we've been together for 22 years. Sometimes you just know that you've found the right one.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Well, to be fair, she didn't ask "I'm 22 years old, do you think I should get married?" now did she?

Everyone matures at a different rate. I met my husband when I was 23 and we've been together for 22 years. Sometimes you just know that you've found the right one.

Frankly I don't think I asked anything all that rude or invasive. People live to be almost a hundred these days - I'm just questioning the decision to commit to something like that at 22.

That's great that it worked out for you, but statistically, it doesn't really tend to work out like that.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    When I got married (the first time) my parents told me that they would either pay for my wedding or give me the money to use however I wished. I took the money because as newlywed there were so many things I needed (furniture, a house, etc) I got married by a JP. My best friends (close friends) and family still came. A wedding does not have to be expensive. It is the vows that are important. You can always celebrate with a party later.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Selfish? That's just silly.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I thought we were going to elope, but when I mentioned what we were doing, my immediate family somehow managed to pull off arranging for most of them to get time off and make a 20 hour drive with less than a week's notice. I guess they really did want to be there! :laugh: We rented a big vacation home for the weekend to fit everyone, had a pre-wedding meal at the private room at a restaurant, I had a store-bought dress (just a nice dress, not a wedding dress). Everyone who really wanted to be there was there, and in my mind I might STILL not be married if I had to go through the torture that traditional wedding planning seems to be. I am very glad I did tell my parents, because they really wanted to be there, and while the trappings were not important to me, it was important to them and I am glad they were able to be there (much like my college graduation, I wasn't even going to go, but it was important to my parents so I went for them). As a parent now, I understand more where my parents were coming from.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's selfish. I do think eloping is romantic because you just get to spend the day with your SO. I don't think courthouses are romantic but I do think taking a little trip to the Bahamas and getting married on the beach is.

I don't think it's for everyone though. I never thought I'd get married, so if I ever do, I'm going to throw a HUGE party.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Well, to be fair, she didn't ask "I'm 22 years old, do you think I should get married?" now did she?

Frankly I don't think I asked anything all that rude or invasive. People live to be almost a hundred these days - I'm just questioning the decision to commit to something like that at 22.

That's great that it worked out for you, but statistically, it doesn't really tend to work out like that.

You're still missing the point -- OP was not asking for approval for her marriage. She was asking on opinions on how to get married. The initial comment about "rushing to get married" was off-topic, plain and simple.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I thought this was one of those games. bang, date, elope, be incredibility selfish....
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

smart post
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You could still get eloped, then when you're ready to have the big ceremony have it when you want if you want to have a big ceremony

^^ I agree, you don't have to have the big wedding to get married. And you can also explain that to anyone that doesn't understand is that you wanted the marriage but you wanted to have a proper wedding in the future when you could invite others.

Also I do agree with another statement that you are just 22, there is no need to rush. You have many years ahead of you and it wouldn't be so bad to take your time getting to that wedding day either :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone would get eloped instead of putting me through their weddings. What a miserable tradition. And the booze isn't even good at most of them.
  • jaymesjourney
    Options
    My husband and I eloped. I was 20 and he was 24. No one knew about it until after the fact. Some family was frustrated, but they understood our reasons. (Being military, our life was a LOT easier married + we'd lived together and been together for awhile at that point.) We had a get together next trip back to visit family. This September we'll be married 10 years. I say trust your gut.

Same exact senario. Husband is in the military we wanted to be married. We eloped and and I dont regret it. Some family was pissed but they got over it. We plan on having our "big wedding" on our 5 year anniversary. Our anniversary is also in September :)
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Only selfish if they planned on having an open bar. That offends me. Other than that... I don't care.

This...lmao

I agree with what others are saying. If you want to elope, do that and just have a reception when you come to town with close friends.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have had many friends throw extravagant weddings this year and it got me thinking a lot about the same thing..I can't reason spending so much money on something that isn't very important to me (marriage is important, the actual wedding day..not so much). I'm very informal and a fancy-pants affair is so unlike me. I also have so much family and numerous friends it would end up being too costly. To find a balance, I like the idea of eloping and then having a large reception at a park/clubhouse and having a bbq. Low key = just a giant party without all the planning and money.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Before my husband and I got married we really struggled with this issue. Neither of us wanted a wedding. We just wanted to be married. I used to fantasize about waking up one day already married. LOL

After agonizing over many options, we finally decided one December to just get married since his mother was in town. So we got engaged, he gave me a ring a few days later, and six days later we were married. We did a simple civil ceremony. We made the limitation of "parents/siblings only." So later when people asked why they weren't invited, we could say "no one was, it was parents/siblings only, it was just a civil ceremony... but everyone is invited to the reception!" That seemed to calm people down. We were planning to have a reception... but life intervened. It never happened. I feel like I dodge a bullet! LOL

The money most people spend on a single wedding day makes me sick to my stomach. Who wants to start married life with a crushing burden of debt? And who wants to be an amateur event planner for hundreds of people? yuck.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do not find eloping to be romantic at all. It's kind of lonely not to share that day with those you care about. If money is a concern, have a small wedding with a handful of people at a small church/in the park, whatever, and just get cake and champagne and be done with it.