Why does pizza have such a bad reputation?

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/3/418.full

i've got a really really easy solution for that.

and... dude... first you said: "Not really as the nutritional differences between the two are pretty insignificant, in terms of vitamins and minerals absorbed "

now you're saying it's ... just... one mineral.

which is it?

Did you even read it, see references 4-10

no of course I didn't read it. aint nobody got time for that. can you explain to me what white-wheat means?

also, as I alluded to, don't buy wheat bread with phytic acid and you're good. :)

not all wheat bread is created equal. obviously. i don't even think wheat is good for us period so I'm not sure why you're picking this fight with me to get me to defend something I don't even eat. lol

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

per usual, you don't actually respond to my points. you've never had an actual thought in your life that you didn't copy paste from a study, and if your study doesn't address my questions, you deflect because you have no idea how to answer it.

I'm sorry... where did you explain how additives and processing chemically alter food?

*edited to add - With anything other than anecdotal evidence?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans

and... dude... first you said: "Not really as the nutritional differences between the two are pretty insignificant, in terms of vitamins and minerals absorbed "

which is it?

no of course I didn't read it. aint nobody got time for that. can you explain to me what white-wheat means?

also, as I alluded to, don't buy wheat bread with phytic acid and you're good. :)

not all wheat bread is created equal. obviously. i don't even think wheat is good for us period so I'm not sure why you're picking this fight with me to get me to defend something I don't even eat. lol

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

per usual, you don't actually respond to my points. you've never had an actual thought in your life that you didn't copy paste from a study, and if your study doesn't address my questions, you deflect because you have no idea how to answer it.

I'm sorry... where did you explain how additives and processing chemically alter food?

*edited to add - With anything other than anecdotal evidence?

Just wait til he starts telling you about his reflux.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Pizza for me = a carb down wrap with a little tomato paste, garlic, and whatever veggies I'm in the mood for baked until a little crisp. It fits into my dietary goals nicely but feels like a splurge!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just make it at home. No biggie. I ate pizza during 2011 when I dropped 20 lbs. Life is too short not to have pizza. Log it and move on.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

One of the few things I agree with Congress on! Bring on my 5 servings of vegetables!
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump to read later...pizza is a food group for me :) (only kind of joking) :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    i'm just guessing here but don't most pizzas use bleached flour for the dough? that crap is like cancer.

It makes you skinny?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    This has become a very interesting thread indeed. :drinker:

You boyz are soooooo cute! :tongue:
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It's about making the right choice. I don't order out but will buy a ready made pizza from the store. I choose a plain thin crust stone baked pizza. I eat half the pizza that is about 400 calories and have half a plate of veggies. Filling and satisfying!
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'll never stop eating pizza. That's just cruel.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If that's all that was on a pizza, it wouldn't be a bad thing to eat. I can think of a few things on a commercial pizza which I no longer eat.
    Sodium nitrites/nitrates in almost all meats used on a pizza.
    Regular cheeses, not the low fat versions we usually buy for home use. I've had pizza swimming in oil from who knows where. And some of the cheeses used are questionable on content.
    A double-day dose of sodium.

However, I did just finish a half Udi's Gluten Free, Three Cheese Pizza which was delish. A little high in fat (16 grams), but only 330mg sodium and 330 calories. I consider this one a splurge. A commercial pizza from a major chain would probably make me sick.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

which is it?

I think you started defending whole wheat flour before he ever said anything. You are swinging at strawmen, per usual. And if the choice comes down listening to someone who admits he doesn't have time to read or someone who looks like Acg, dude, you lose.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    All I know is the ads for the new Crazy Cheesy Crust Pizza at Pizza Hut are driving me to distraction. This does not appear to be a healthy option but ooooooooh. It could be worth a nice long run to try it...
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You know, I never really thought about it! For me, its not the pizza, its the quantity. I went out and had a big slice of pizza a couple weeks ago...lost a lb that day. Problem comes when a slice becomes 2, 3, 4....

Good question though...I am going to watch this one for the answers.

This.

This is the problem with pizza. Also Most pizza places out there don't advertise the good for you stuff; they advertise the OMG CHEEEEEEESE and MEAT pizza because practically everyone loves cheese. (I am in that group and therefore limit Pizza consumption to 2 places because it is high quality)
  • Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You know, I never really thought about it! For me, its not the pizza, its the quantity. I went out and had a big slice of pizza a couple weeks ago...lost a lb that day. Problem comes when a slice becomes 2, 3, 4....

Good question though...I am going to watch this one for the answers.

This.

This is the problem with pizza. Also Most pizza places out there don't advertise the good for you stuff; they advertise the OMG CHEEEEEEESE and MEAT pizza because practically everyone loves cheese. (I am in that group and therefore limit Pizza consumption to 2 places because it is high quality)

Doesn't stop you having a thin based veggie supreme. That's my poison (alright, I go deep pan, but as long as you make room for those calories in another way like, not having that extra sausage or whatever (not saying that pizza=sausage calorie wise, just that if you want to be able to eat that big gooey slice of pizza then you have to not eat something else to avoid the calorie excess.)
  • Joey_TheGreat
    Options
    CAULIFLOWER PIZZA. <---
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I love pizza but when pizza hut (the only pizza restaurant by me) soaks the crust in oil it's not good for you. I've made homemade pizzas that I could eat everyday and be healthy.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think it is a control thing. Hard to stop at one or two slices. I know it is for me. Thats why when we go have pizza I plan for it. I know I like to have atleast 3. I mostly make our pizza. I think it is fun making them and it gets my kids involved. We order out sometimes not often.
  • broncosbabe
    broncosbabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    To those saying places like Pizza Hut and Dominos are all bad, you're wrong. Well, at least in Australia you're wrong. Like ALL foods, it's about making the right CHOICES and STOPPING when you've eaten a normal servings worth of food. These two chains I've mentioned both offer 'light' or 'fat free' alternatives. Nutritional values on their websites. For example, one slice of Domino's 97% Fat Free Chicken Napolitana is 126 calories comprised of 6.7g protein, 1.7g fat and 20.4g carbs (3.8g of this sugar). I'd comfortably eat 3 peices of this as a main meal and consider it balanced. With most chains you can 'design your own' pizza and chose which toppings you would and wouldn't like. One that we order reguarly has prawns, chicken, cherry tomatos, feta cheese and baby spinach.

I generally prefer to make my own pizza at home for my husband and I, but we also have take away pizza on occasion.

Yes, there are many unhealthy alternatives when it comes to pizza and people don't always make the right decisions - I can eat a full thin base pepperoni pizza in one sitting if I like. But it's your choice to order a healthier alternative or not.