WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,915 Member
2080361tv8m4a2bx1.gif

:bigsmile: Welcome to a most supportive and encouraging community of women. The title says women ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: This is a thread that has been continued each month for many years. Some of us have been posting for a long time, others are newer, and new members are welcome at any time. All you have to do to become a member of our community is to post and then you’ll find this thread listed under “My Topics” so you can keep coming back.

:flowerforyou: Many of us create goals and resolutions for each month…sometimes new ones and sometimes the same ones over and over…..some are about weight loss and others are about behaviors and attitudes.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for April?

:flowerforyou: What goals or resolutions have you planned for May?

:flowerforyou: I read this thread every day and look forward to being connected to all of you.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
Resolutions for April (with end of the month comments)
*work in the yard about an hour a day (most days but not always as much as an hour)
*finish writing my “important information” document (finished and ready to give to the people who should have it)
*answer the two e mails I have been putting off (finished mid day April 29)
*be more mindful about interrupting (doing better all the time)

Resolutions for May
*walk at least 18,000 steps a day----23,000 steps a day average
* putter in the yard 5 days a week, 15-60 minutes each day
*cook with tofu once a week
*be agreeable----say “OK”

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    shhhhh....I tried making brownies this morning for Vince BUT instead of the oil you are supposed to add, I'd read that you can substitute silken tofu. So I'm trying it. Now you don't seriously think I'll tell Vince that I added tofu, do you? We shall see how they come out. Oh, I just made another batch since I'm not sure if the tofu takes the place of just the oil or the oil and egg. So I made one batch without the egg and one with.

I can tell you right now how I did with my goal and resolution from this month -- nothing happened. Maybe I should consider it a goal for the YEAR?????

katla - I didn't find Golden Corral to be that difficult a place. They had a few steamed items, veggies and fruit. Yea for rest days

Did 1-1/4 hr Jillian Michaels Extreme Shed and Shred DVD today. Tomorrow yoga and then the deep water class. Liz, like you, I enjoy the water too. You can get such a good workout and don't even realize it

Viv - you probably burned extra calories keeping your body warm while having lunch

Joyce - having a cheat day once in a while can many times be a good thing. You get it out of your system and then don't want it for a while. You realize just how crummy you feel when you're not eating decently and that incents you not to do it again for a long time. It also keeps your body guessing as to when it's going to get an overabundance of calories. As long as it's just a one-time thing and not every day, I honestly don't think it'll hurt you and will probably help. Moxie has the right attitude, don't let calories or carbs or whatever run your life.

DeeDee - glad you're no longer grumpy. I don't like when you are grumpy. That hot dog place you went to reminds me of Five Guys. They only have hot dogs, (I think they have them anyway), hamburgers and french fries. Can't remember the last time I was at one, I guess it was before we moved to NC which means well over 5 years ago.

katla - that MD for your hubby sounds really good. Hope he can stay with the MD, too.

Jane - so sorry about your friend. What horrible news!

bj - happy birthday!

Got two lounge chairs for by the pool the other day, went and got two other chairs and an umbrella. Ordered another umbrella. How I wish Vince would work on the landscaping! I feel like I'm pushing him, but I'm really sick and tired of this stupid red clay. I just want it covered so it doesn't get all over my clothes and into the pool and stain it.

Been thinking about the Mexican Train next Tuesday. The gal who usually has it is going to be away. When she told people there wouldn't be any this month (May), a lot of people were disappointed and kept saying "I don't have enough room" so I offered my house. Now I just learned that some people keep their Mexican Train sets at her house. Why didn't she offer them to me to use since I'm just trying to help her out? The other lady who runs it with her said she'd e-mail me a sheet with the table numbers, but so far she hasn't. Really, that's not a big deal. I just hope we have enough sets, tho.

Meg - when I made the kale chips that one time, they were just like yours, so thin. I even tried taking some cheddar cheese, sprinkling it on them, and spraying them with olive oil. Didn't really add anything to the consistency or flavor. So I'll be very interested to see responses for your request for help. Sorry you had such an ordeal at WalMart. Sometimes they can be a real scooth, other times I've found that they aren't. I guess a lot has to do with the cashier. I've had some cashiers who took expired coupons and others who didn't

BeckyRayJohns - welcome, just jump right in. Boy, you sure are one busy lady!

bsgordon - welcome to you, also. Tell us more about yourself.

brooke - that's wonderful that you did so well on the phone interview.

Robin - what a wonderful surprise! You're very lucky to have such a thoughtful family. Cool braid.

jmkmomm - that's just great that your membership is still active. When you are on the Silver Sneakers, someone told me that you get membership at all the gyms, is that true?

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele there is a web site that helps you find what gyms participate. Like here in Evansville there are only 4 and two of them are the two different Y's.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    May??? So soon?? ? Happy May Day, everyone!

BJ, SWOnt.
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Michele - none of my goals happened. I only had one - not to eat food I hadn't brought to work. Too many donuts!!

Hi BS - now there will be someone besides me on a horse.

My goal for this month is to get back to my lowest weight recorded so far, which I think is 156.8. Haven't been back there since December and I am not even certain how far away from it I am since I haven't weighed myself in almost 3 weeks.

This month I will be more like Barbie and more like Laurie :happy:
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Although I've read this post a time or two, this is my first entry. My plan for May is to begin a "Women on Weights" class at my Y. I've been doing cardio interval, cardio fit, and step classes 3-5 hours a week, plus an hour or two of treadmill. So, weights are my next challenge. Because of the timing of the class, I'll have to forego two of my cardio/interval classes, so guess I'll be taking more outside walks. With the beautiful (sometimes!) Pacific NW weather, this will be a welcome treat.
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi

Happy May to everyone. It will be a busy month.

I didn't really have goals for April, but I need them for May!

1. Stop the emotional eating.
    2. Get back to my lowest weight and stay there. (I'm about 2 1//2 pounds up.)
    3. Get back to eating more vegetables.

I think I will stick with those. Too many and I will be overwhelmed and give up.

I bought some new pants tonight for summer since last summer's are too big. :happy:

Eileen near San Diego...where it's supposed to be 90 by Friday
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    zoom... its May!!

Thanks, Barbie.

Off to bed -- good night.

Gail
    ATL
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Happy May everyone wish you all the best with your goals for the month

Thanks Barbie for the new thread

juanita in sudbury
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    APRIL GOALS:

Zumba DVD 3x week NO not this month
    75 miles NO sick the first week really set me back (but tied my March miles of 60)
    Daily exercise of some kind YES all but 3 sick days
    Strength training every other day YES
    Logging every day YES
    At least 8 fruits/veggies daily YES
    No less than 8 glasses of water each day YES

MAY GOALS:

see above :bigsmile:
    Add: get a job

Brooke from Colorado

“If we dream too small we live too small.”
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wow! May already! Thank you for our new place Barbie:happy:

Just marking my spot so have a great May Day gorgeous girlies.

Geri in England
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy May Day!

:smokin: :smokin: The sun is shining and yesterday when I weighed in I was back to my pre Christmas weight yeah :drinker: :drinker:

Feeling good and confident that May will be a good month - hope I haven't jinxed myself!

Will think of goals and get back to you.

:flowerforyou: As long as the sun is shining I'm smiling :smile:

:ohwell: Time for work.

Viv UK
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello, hello! I"m back! I have no pictures of my son in Victoria's Secrets buying me "pretties" because we decided to have the contest keep going until the end of July. If it would have ended on March 30th as it should have, I would have SMOKED him. But I was gracious and agreed that since I still had weight to lose that it would keep going.

We left Norway on March 27th to head back to IL to pick up our moms and take them on a 15 day Transatlantic cruise to Rome and then spent time in Rome. And then picked up some kind of bug and have been sick, sick, sick ever since we got home. First time in my life for an ear infection and now I know why babies are so miserable! It felt like someone was sticking a knife in my ear and twisting it. Lots of congestion too.

So .... in 5 weeks with absolutely NO thought to my diet, only enjoying the food on the cruise and enjoying the food in Rome and eating crappy food when I got home because I was just too tired to plan meals, I finally forced myself to step on the scale this morning. And it was better than I was afraid it would be. I only gained 8 pounds! Usually when we cruise, it's a pound a day. YIKES!

So today, we start the Fast Metabolism Diet. I'm seriously in doubt that I can eat as much food as she says we need to eat to "heal" my metabolism, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Wish me luck!
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :glasses: :glasses: Happy Month of May to all!! It is time to get ready for a bright and warmer sun and more sun protection. First I must say that I did complete or continued on most of my goals for the month of April. For those I did not complete, I tell myself that it is OK and that I am a work in progress. The goals that I did not complete were:

:ohwell: :ohwell: Drink a green shake alt least four days a week. It was more like 2 days a week

:ohwell: :ohwell: Lose 15 pounds for the month. I knew it was a tall order but worth the try. Lost 8 pounds.

:ohwell: :ohwell: Finish writing my play. Tried to but some of the characters kept changing their personalities.:smile:

There were some slips along the way but did not let them discourage me. You can only get better if you continue to try.

So for the month of May, I will:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Continue to improve my life and health

That should cover all that I do this month.
  • gonzamm
    gonzamm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    OMG how time flies. I have been on MFP only a couple of months and I don't know where the time went. All I know is that in the month of April, I had my ups and downs and here's hoping May will bring a more consistent flow.

My goals for May are:
    - Exercise at least 30 minutes a day
    - Have a meatless day once a week
    - Take out my bike for a ride around the neighborhood at least 2 a week
    - Watch less TV
    - Start or finish one of my hobbies I have pending online for months - Bread making; Jewelry Crafting; Cake decorating; Sewing

The list goes on and on; but I think I'll stop at these for now; don't want to hurt myself ... LOL

Wishing you all continued success in the month in May. :flowerforyou:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning and a happy May to all my Vit Fs.

Still grey and chilly in London, but the sun is making some kind of effort.

A busy day ahead so I will catch up with you all later on.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy first day of May!

Been very busy with work. The stress is starting to affect my progress on this journey. I MUST regain control!! I will be back with goals, but need to get out the door. If I can leave in the next 10 minutes, I can get a 30 to 40 minute walk before meeting my carpool mate.

Talk to you later. Have a great day!!

Deb in CNY
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump til later
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Happy new day all! Boy, I thought I got up early some of us have night schedules for our lives apparently, way early! :yawn: today I don't go into work until after an emergency dental this morning. I am scared. Got a root canal a month or two ago & now feeling discomfort (like an early infection) above where the root canal was done. Scares me for expense & additional medical complications. I am dental phobic to begin with & add to that limited insurance and missed time from work, not good. Thanks for listening M FP's . I'll pray about it and try to remember struggles make us stronger. Chat more later.
    Marcia in Northern Virginia
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Happy May to all of you ladies!! Maybe now, with the spring time and warm sunshine...we can finally feel some kind of motivation! I was just getting so tired of winter.

May goals you say? Hmm...I'll be traveling, so my May goals are to take my food scale and my weight scale..and log, log, LOG! :drinker:

I purchased a Heart Rate Monitor/pedometer so I can at least try to walk 10,000 steps per day. My airdyne bike won't fit in my truck :grumble:

I will be camping on the way there, and back...I need the exercise and a good way to save hotel $$. $20.00 a night for camping, versus $75+ for a hotel. And, the place I am camping has wifi and cell signal :drinker:

When I started this weight-loss venture..this time...I saw a pair of sneakers on sale at the wal-mart. They are lace up sneakers. I had been wearing slip on shoes, which is a bad idea. With the laces, I HAVE TO bend over to tie them. :laugh: They are working on keeping me honest. With myself.

Okay...I "bumped" myself for this month :laugh:

Lea in now sunny SC