A 5 yo killed a 2yo with a gun!

Options

Replies

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    And the law enforcement officers declared it an accident. Why are the parents not charged with murder.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I saw this earlier and was surprised to learn that they had "childrens guns". I had no idea.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    And the law enforcement officers declared it an accident. Why are the parents not charged with murder.

news often reports ignorantly. All to get the story out and be out first as breaking news. We do not know the details of the case.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I saw this earlier and was surprised to learn that they had "childrens guns". I had no idea.

yes they sell smaller rifles, and such. This is why I think more and more gun safety should be taught.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I didn't know the gun makers made .22 caliber rifles specifically for the kiddos. I found that disheartening. I have a conceal carry permit, but that doesn't mean I condone weapons in arms reach of children.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Tragic, but not anything to do with this site.

Agreed, I'm here to get fit, not discuss tragic deaths, poor parenting, or gun control.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

yes they sell smaller rifles, and such. This is why I think more and more gun safety should be taught.
    Yep. my son has had a little 'cricket' since he was 2 or 3. He is not allowed to shoot it until he is 7 and has completed hunter's education class. Just like my siblings and I all did.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was handed my first gun at age 2.

I was brought up knowing how to properly use, clean, shoot etc...

But the first thing I was taught was to always check to see if the gun was loaded.

You bet your a** I carry concealed, and I plan to instill the same principles in my children.

If not for them, for the safety of the people around them.

You can not be serious?? Handed a gun at 2 years of age??? A lot of kids are not even potty trained, they can not read/write?

what did your parents expect you to do with a gun at age of 2 years old?

I am serious. They believed that in a gun bearing state like MT it was imperitive that I know how to properly handle a weapon if I were to ever come across one by accident.

They weren't teaching me how to be a sniper or olympic level shot. They were trying to prevent an unneccesary accident.

My dad made special rubber bullets and casings and made sure I grew up comfortable with the fact that guns existed. He made sure that I knew how to completely disarm and unload any gun, and when I got older I learned how to use it.

I am so grateful for the knowledge he gave me. Luckily I was never faced with ann unfortunate circumstance with guns, but if I had been, I would have known how to safely handle the situation.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

But the first thing I was taught was to always check to see if the gun was loaded.

You bet your a** I carry concealed, and I plan to instill the same principles in my children.

EDIT: Just wanted to edit to say that it is only bad parenting if children aren't supervised or taught correctly. So in this case, yes, extremely bad parenting. Knowledge is key to prevention. If that child had been given the correct tools and information with that gun as a gift, that accident could have been entirely prevented.

Exactly... Im training my teen daughters right now. Not just gun safety but carrying safety and concealed and open.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am a crazy parent, but I bought my 5 year old books and board games and spent time playing them. My 2 year old I played building bricks and stuff to encourage him with hand/eye co ordination.

I didn`t leave either child unsupervised at any point, they were always with an adult, so why would I need to provide them with a a gun?

I am not trying to provoke an argument, I am just asking why a responsible parent would gift a small child a gun?
  • twinketta
    Options
    Tragic, but not anything to do with this site.

Agreed, I'm here to get fit, not discuss tragic deaths, poor parenting, or gun control.

Then move along the bus lol!

If there are topics that are not suitable for you then don`t bother with them, simple?
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

You can not be serious?? Handed a gun at 2 years of age??? A lot of kids are not even potty trained, they can not read/write?

I am serious. They believed that in a gun bearing state like MT it was imperitive that I know how to properly handle a weapon if I were to ever come across one by accident.

They weren't teaching me how to be a sniper or olympic level shot. They were trying to prevent an unneccesary accident.

My dad made special rubber bullets and casings and made sure I grew up comfortable with the fact that guns existed. He made sure that I knew how to completely disarm and unload any gun, and when I got older I learned how to use it.

I am so grateful for the knowledge he gave me. Luckily I was never faced with ann unfortunate circumstance with guns, but if I had been, I would have known how to safely handle the situation.

"I am serious. They believed that in a gun bearing state like MT it was imperitive that I know how to properly handle a weapon if I were to ever come across one by accident.

They weren't teaching me how to be a sniper or olympic level shot. They were trying to prevent an unneccesary accident."

This more than anything. you are teaching them how NOT to get killed or kill someone else. I want my children to be comfortable around firearms and familiar with their function. This will prevent ignorant mistakes that cause death. A child that has no knowledge or experience doesnt know how to operate or be aware of the dangers. They may be nervous they may not understand the simple safety rules that are easy to teach. nervousness, curiosity, unknown....these things cause accidents.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am a crazy parent, but I bought my 5 year old books and board games and spent time playing them. My 2 year old I played building bricks and stuff to encourage him with hand/eye co ordination.

I didn`t leave either child unsupervised at any point, they were always with an adult, so why would I need to provide them with a a gun?

I am not trying to provoke an argument, I am just asking why a responsible parent would gift a small child a gun?

You are not a crazy parent at all. What my parents did was waaaaay out of the norm and definitely not something I would expect any other parent to do.

And my parents didn't "give" me my own gun. I wasn't allowed my own gun until grade school, and even then, it was only brought out when we went hunting, target shooting, etc. They just gave me knowledge and awareness very early because they knew I would be around them my entire life :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You can engineer all kinds of safety devices for firearms, but you cant engineer the stupid out of people.

This
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Only a ****ing idiot would buy a child a gun.
  • twinketta
    Options

"I am serious. They believed that in a gun bearing state like MT it was imperitive that I know how to properly handle a weapon if I were to ever come across one by accident.

They weren't teaching me how to be a sniper or olympic level shot. They were trying to prevent an unneccesary accident."

This more than anything. you are teaching them how NOT to get killed or kill someone else. I want my children to be comfortable around firearms and familiar with their function. This will prevent ignorant mistakes that cause death. A child that has no knowledge or experience doesnt know how to operate or be aware of the dangers. They may be nervous they may not understand the simple safety rules that are easy to teach. nervousness, curiosity, unknown....these things cause accidents.

Can I ask you a simple `yes` or `no` question

If the gun was not available would this `accident` have happened?
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    ikr...no child should own a gun, bad bad bad parenting!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

Scenrario...your child goes to a birthday party. They are playiong hide and seek. Your child hides in a closet way in the back behind all the heavy coats where the father keeps his loaded shotgun. While the child is in there waiting what happens? My children will know. A) A gun is always Loaded B) dont touch the gun with out dad or another adult around. C) Where the trigger, safety, muzzle, is and how they each function... Etc

your child knows nothing. good luck
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This particular conversation is nothing more than simple chit chat, and it is under that particular topic on the message boards.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

Can I ask you a simple `yes` or `no` question

If the gun was not available would this `accident` have happened?

So...your solutions is to rid all the world of guns to bandaid poor parenting skills?
This discussion has been closed.