People who say "Hon"

Options

Replies

• LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am one who often says "thanks hon" to the chick at the gas station, grocery store, etc. I also work in health care and have had many upon many of clients over the years that I have cared for, and I almost always call them "hon" or "honey" as my way of showing them that I am listening and that I care about them. It's just a natural thing for me to say to kids, women, and men. I call all my friends hon, and even acquaintances. I didn't realize that it would bother anyone, and I don't do it to flirt. If I was flirting with them, it would be a hell of a lot more than a "hon" comment. :blushing:
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I like it when my husband calls me hon cuz it is enduring and sweet but i do not like it when some stranger calls me hon it is creepy and makes me feel uncomfortable(doesnt matter if it is boy or girl)
    just makes me feel weird and that is why i dont say it to anyone except my husband because that is where those little names belong, with people you love. lol
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    When the girl is younger than me, works at a fast food joint or a grocer, no. Just do your job well, smile, and say, "Have a nice day."

If she is older, and I'm in the hospital, I'm good.
  • NorthernCardinal
    NorthernCardinal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do it in healthcare, I hate it so much. That and "Dear" or "Sweetie", especially when talking to elderly patients/clients, like seriously, how condescending?!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who hates it when people misspell hun as "hon"? Like "Nice job Hon", or whatever. It just seems like this really cheesy attempt to spell this beautiful word correctly.

It's HUN, hun.

Can be. But here in Maryland --especially in the Hampden neighborhood in Baltimore ("Balmer"), it's HON. And everyone calls everyone that, in a very specific Baltimore accent. We even have HONFEST. Honest.

http://www.honfest.net/
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I am one who often says "thanks hon" to the chick at the gas station, grocery store, etc. I also work in health care and have had many upon many of clients over the years that I have cared for, and I almost always call them "hon" or "honey" as my way of showing them that I am listening and that I care about them. It's just a natural thing for me to say to kids, women, and men. I call all my friends hon, and even acquaintances. I didn't realize that it would bother anyone, and I don't do it to flirt. If I was flirting with them, it would be a hell of a lot more than a "hon" comment. :blushing:

I like this -- and I think most people can tell the difference between someone who is using it as a term of endearment (like you), and those who are being flippant and condescending. Just like anything else...it's not the word, it's the intention and the personality behind it.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    i didn't read it all. nope.

but you know what?

I DO say hun, sweetie, gorgeous, beautiful. Why? It's a way I show affection.

I didn't realize that people would be offended by affection.

wow. hate me if you must. defriend me if you hate it that much. but it sure is not meant in a condescending fashion. NOT IN ANY WAY,SHAPE, OR FORM.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Affection repulses you....Well, now that I know the secret, thanks Hun!
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I HATE PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT! Especially if we're similar in age.

Damn, you HATE them?
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Er...pardon?

Baitings of any sort to inflame and derail the purpose of this thread's discussion however subtle is not only unnecessary but most inappropriate via this thread... :smile: ... I'm not here to volley aimlessly. However my post entertained you is allowed you to a fault - just as I'm permitted to contribute my thoughts as I choose to.

Back on topic@crabbok's "Wed 05/01/13 03:30 PM
    Am I the only one who hates it when people say Hon? Like "Nice job Hon", or whatever. It just seems like this really cheesy attempt to be flirty and drives me crazy."

Edited to add: @Superstar71 (2nd address)

:huh:

Seriously? I was responding to Chaelaz's response to your post. Since when is 'lmao' baiting? LMAO. :laugh:

:noway: Oops I did it again.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I hope my friends don't feel that way! Doll, hun, gorgeous, handsome, lovey....I am 100% mushy.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You mean like, "Hon Harold T Stone presiding" and stuff?

lol
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense.

Not being a grammar nazi, so please don't strike me down mods!...when I say, what? I have absolutely no clue what you are trying to get across. It's like you used a thesaurus to try to find "better words" to describe whatever it is you are trying to say and forgot to delete the other word. Try again, maybe?

but at what cost?

Still don't understand. Are you saying you charge by the word?

Unless you are a published theoretical physicist and have earned a Master of Science and two PhDs, have an IQ of 187, and went to college at 11, research String Theory at Caltech, switched disciplines from bosonic string theory to heterotic string theory and reconciled the black hole information paradox using a string network condensate approach, worked on the string theory implications of gamma rays from dark matter annihilations and considered a method for optimizing a 500 GeV particle detector to this end, jointly wrote a paper on supersolids to be presented at an Institute of Experimental Physics topical conference on Bose-Einstein condensates, keep a whiteboard in the living room for scientific theories containing virtual particles in quantum mechanics or series of Riemann zeta functions, then no I will not ask you any questions.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140376143&page=1

:laugh:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm SO guilty of saying it. It's an endearment to me, it's a way of me telling someone that I care about them. I've tried to not do it much though, especially on here, because a lot of people get offended by it.
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who hates it when people say Hon? Like "Nice job Hon", or whatever. It just seems like this really cheesy attempt to be flirty and drives me crazy.

I hate it more then anything. My sister says it a lot! Ahhhhhhh!!!!
  • nzs110b
    nzs110b Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I hate it; especially at a restaurant coming from a server...have been known to tip less because of this... If you don’t know me, don’t use “terms of endearment” with me.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I am from NC and it's just the way we do things...if you don't like it....sorry, but I won't stop doing it. :flowerforyou:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It's been long enough that you can tell us who you deleted for this truly offensive behavior.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the tone of voice and when it's used. A lot of women can be condesending when they use it especially if we are in the middle of a disagreement. But if you've got a southern accent, a nice smile and we're on friendly terms, calling me hun could make my day.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. I dunno if it's because it feels condescending or if it's just how the word sounds but yes. It annoys.

TBH I use it sometimes but to me yes it sounds condescending.