introvert or extrovert?

Options
WinnerVictorious
WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
i'm really uncomfortable around strangers in real life. i can put up a false front of friendliness and make small talk, but inside i find meeting new people to be very awkward and usually don't speak unless i must. when that happens, i mask that awkwardness with humor.

i don't like to be the center of attention and much prefer to be just another anonymous face in the crowd. i have no idea why some people so desperately want to become "famous". i would find that to be awful. i've always been this way. until i know somebody better, i'm always ill at ease around them.

i guess you could say i'm an introvert.

what about you?

Replies

• VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Extrovert
  • AnDiallo
    AnDiallo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have elements of both, however, I'm definitely more introverted. But, if you ask people I work with or friends, hey often call me an A type personality or extroverted. I'm not, but I do have elements of extroversion when I want to be social.

I could have written this!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Extrovert around friends and family. I am a introvert around strangers and cute girls. It takes me a while to warm up and be social.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Introvert...unless drunk, then total extrovert. :drinker:
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I can force myself to be an extrovert and most people think that I am but really I am quite shy and to myself
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Introvert
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm a hardcore introvert. I really have to put on a show and "act" the part to appear extroverted. But ain't nobody got time for that, lol. Some really famous people who were constantly in the spotlight were introverted. Michael Jackson is the best example I know of, but there are many others like Michael Jordan and Albert Einstein, as well as numerous actors.
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i'm really uncomfortable around strangers in real life. i can put up a false front of friendliness and make small talk, but inside i find meeting new people to be very awkward and usually don't speak unless i must. when that happens, i mask that awkwardness with humor.

i don't like to be the center of attention and much prefer to be just another anonymous face in the crowd. i have no idea why some people so desperately want to become "famous". i've always been this way. until i know somebody better, i'm always ill at ease around them.

i guess you could say i'm an introvert.

what about you?

This describes the way I feel most of the time. I have to go to a conference next week for 3 days for work by myself. It's going to be a struggle to do any networking.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    In my case...it would depend on the circumstances. (is that spelled right?)
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Introvert
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Very extrovert. Was introverted until around 28, then decided it sucked and did the "fake it til you make it" thing. Now it's natural.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Intrinsic extrovert
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I think I'm kinda a mix of both. I feel comfortable around people and strangers. I usually do not talk to strangers much tho on my own. Unless I have to, like for example I am at new place and don't know anybody there and wanna make some friends, or see a girl what I wanna know, or something, in that case I make friends pretty easy, it's not hard for me to start conversation with a stranger and make it flow while feeling relaxed. It's just, I prefer not to do that often cos I rather be alone. When I'm in a crowd I'm usually at center of attention tho.

That being said, there are not that many times when I am in a crowd, large group of friends or people. I prefer, usually, to do some activities what involves me and only one, or couple, of my close friends, or only me, most of the time. All tho I can definitely imagine enjoying being in a crowd and famous.

I guess 80% introvert and 20% extrovert. Usually I prefer to be alone and on my own, and I mean REALLY on my own, not even with one close friend. I still threat people friendly tho if they are with me and don't run away. But if I am alone it's great, I won't look for anybody.

But when I have to be with many people I go all out from my heart and can rock a building. I enjoy it from heart...on a relatively rare occasion.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm completely an introvert. I have to psych myself up to go out if there's even a chance I'll have to interact with strangers. I feel really awkward in social situations and I find myself wondering constantly what to do with my hands while I'm talking. :laugh:

I'm always exhausted after being around a lot of people and I need to go home and just be alone for awhile.

I have gotten better about it as I've gotten older. I was also a teacher for awhile and that helped a lot.
  • bkw2488
    bkw2488 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am both, just depends on the situation.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    total introvert
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options
    I'm always exhausted after being around a lot of people and I need to go home and just be alone for awhile.

Aw, textbook definition, lol. Introverts gain their energy from being alone and having "me-time", while extroverts get charged from interacting with people. When introverts interact with others,( and they may be very articulate and adept at this), they're still using up that energy they stored.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Extrovert! Totally now I'm older , I just don't care what people may think!:happy:
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options
    One thing introverts hate: Small talk. We like to talk when we have something worthwhile to say about a subject, and we can go on for hours. But just talking for the sake of talking, that's a no no. I hate when people, especially strangers, expect me to do that, lol. Like, why can't you just sit there and enjoy the silence already, sheesh. XD