Husband wants to juice!!! - I prefer he did not!!

Options

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Juicing is an abuse of prefectly good fruits and veggies!

I can definitely understand why people would do it...

But it's not a meal replacment, I would think it could get expensive...I could easily see someone overdoing their sugar intake...
    And, it's also possible to overdose on certain plant sterols (estrogen-like compounds). These can cause thyroid disease if abused.

Your caution is warranted!
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If he is an adult he can choose what he want to consume for food.

tee hee this would be true...IF he did the grocery shopping ;) Mind you..yes he is an adult..a spoiled one!

well, he can do his own shopping for his juicing stuff...
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You have to let him fail on his own. Which he will. Just when he does, be a very supportive person and don't say "I told you so." He's got to figure this out for himself. If he's on here and pays attention to the forums and what people are really saying, he'll start to get it.

He is :) Not sure how much he reads everything on here though..he said the forums are too filled with drama and he can get that streamlined on facebook (he has a point haha)

I also informed him I would be asking what you all thought about it because I am so close minded to it. Not that I personally follow every bit of advice thrown about on here..but hearing a bunch of other point of views can help him and I understand it all.
    He watched the movie...he did not do a ton of research on it.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Isn't chewing with molar teeth pretty much the same as juicing? If food is easier to swallow with juicing, I can't see what difference it makes. Isn't soup the same as juicing?

No, that's more like blending. Juicing separates liquids and solids. Therefore removing some of the goodness.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Juicing is an abuse of prefectly good fruits and veggies!

I can definitely understand why people would do it...

But it's not a meal replacment, I would think it could get expensive...I could easily see someone overdoing their sugar intake...
    And, it's also possible to overdose on certain plant sterols (estrogen-like compounds). These can cause thyroid disease if abused.

Your caution is warranted!

Interesting concept...thank you
    (will have to do some research on that...I am sure he will try it anyways so if I at least give him some info on what to watch for...I will feel a bit better in the meantime.)
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I know people who juice as a supplement to a low calorie diet and do very well.

I actually make Green Smoothies (basically spinach or kale, mixed fruit, water, coconut, or almond milk) for breakfast whenever I want to lose weight and I have found that I get great results.

I read somewhere that when the body is getting all of the nutrients that it needs it helps to curb cravings.

I have found that to be true (in my case)...i can't say how true that statement is or if it will work for everyone. But when i have my Green Smoothies on a consistant basis, the weight drops off more quickly. When i stop having smoothies, I begin to crave during the day and eat more at lunch and dinner.

The good thing about the smoothies is once you get the recipes right the whole family can enjoy them (a little more fruit and maybe a bit of splenda or honey for your little one) AND you hubby can use them as meal replacements (breakfast and lunch) if he would like (or at least meal supplements, if you drink it before a meal you find that you will eat less).

I am definately not anti-juicing, however I do know that people don't tend to stick with it as a meal replacement, though I have seen success when people use it to add nutrients to a healthy low calorie, low carb diet.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    If Daddy was on blood pressure medication, would you shield your kids from seeing him take his pills for fear they would try to take pills, too? Just explain that Daddy is drinking the juice for his health. I think anything that gets your husband to be deliberate in his food choices is a step in a positive direction. I was thrilled when my husband came home with some different fruit and said he wanted to start drinking smoothies. He fell off that bandwagon very quickly, but he now eats more fruit.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If I juice, it is usually in the morning! I like a good super green juice, it gets me going and has lots of nutrients. But while I juice on occasion, I do not think it is good to do constantly! Try and explain to him that he can work it in daily, while eating a balanced diet as well!
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am glad I am currently single and can eat what I want when I want without interference these days.
    I am into juicing for a couple of months now. I have never successfully only had juices all day ever, even at my
    best I have consumed salads, sprouted peas and beans and seed bars , nuts, and thick smoothies.
    I would let him do what he likes and see for himself the health benefits and what he can manage.
    My aim is to be raw vegan and I had to get back on here because its amazing the amount of calories you can consume,
    especially with a healthy appetite from fitness.

As those into juicing say : Nobody goes into a frenzy over people eating junk food, ask them how they are going to live and
    where are they going to get there nutrients from, but juice a large quantity of vegetable and fruits, and people are freaked out!

Here is my problem - I think he is doing it to drop weight fast. He has been having problems with his back and thinks his weight is to blame. He is already losing counting calories but knows he lost more that one week he tried the juicing. So my thought (fear) is that he is not doing it for the "healthy" reasons but more of a quick fix. Then when he goes back to eating food...we are back to square one.

I am not freaking out believe me...not my style. But trying to convince him to lose the weight in a manner that he can continue for the rest of his life so he does not have to start all over in 6 months. In my mind...like I said pure juicing is just a quick fix. Convincing him to eat a sensible dinner in addition to juicing took me a bit of pressure to convince him. Mind you we have 2 - 8 year old girls. i do not under any circumstance want them to have unhealthy relationships with food so I am careful how they perceive food. Seeing their Daddy (who they copy quite often) drink his meals = unhealthy thoughts later on in life. So I got him to agree to that. Right now he says he won't on the weekend - but if he drops weight he may be intrigued to push it further. Being single without kids is one thing...being married with small children (female mind you and one already with weight issues..) is another.

Not to mention - protein...how much protein can he get with the food he chooses to juice?? - Losing muscle is not an option.

Ok yes drastic weight loss is the usual angle rather than health, I understand now.

Your questions deserve answers:

Vegetables provide incomplete proteins, chains of amino acids, apparently the body can reuse protein and have chains of amino acids in store , so doesn't need full chain to be eaten in one day.

Spinach 49% protein
    kale 45% protein
    broccoli 45% protein
    cauliflower 48% protein
    cucumber 24% protein
    green pepper 22% protein

If he wasn't eating an evening meal it would be good to eat sprouted beans and seed and various nuts

Hope this helps
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    OP I notice you're not responding to the folks who support juicing. Are you just looking for people to validate your opinion or are you actually looking to learn about the benefits?
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You have to let him fail on his own. Which he will. Just when he does, be a very supportive person and don't say "I told you so." He's got to figure this out for himself. If he's on here and pays attention to the forums and what people are really saying, he'll start to get it.

He is :) Not sure how much he reads everything on here though..he said the forums are too filled with drama and he can get that streamlined on facebook (he has a point haha)

I also informed him I would be asking what you all thought about it because I am so close minded to it. Not that I personally follow every bit of advice thrown about on here..but hearing a bunch of other point of views can help him and I understand it all.
    He watched the movie...he did not do a ton of research on it.

Well, let him give it a shot. If I've learned anything in my 17 years of marriage it is that I can't try to regulate what my wife wants to do, I can only let her try.

We have an unspoken understanding now..."Just because you want to do something, doesn't mean I do". I would tell him, hey go for it. I'm not interested!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I dont think it is a "bad" idea. He's not taking / eating anything un natural. It all comes from the earth. How long is he planning on doing this? I juice but I incorporate it into my daily foods. I make a mean green every morning for breakfast and then eat lunch and dinner. But if I understood correctly, he would juice from morning until dinner and eat dinner and eat normal foods on the weekends? I think that is ok. I guess I would want my husband to sit at the dinner table and actually eat with the family too. He doesn't have to eat a ton but eat some and drink his juice. I dont think there is anything wrong with juicing though. Its all vegetables and it really is better than all that processed food they sell now.?
  • arhummel
    arhummel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Exactly! You need to watch Sick, Fat & Nearly Dead...Educate yourself more and watch it with your husband!
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ask your husband nicely to please read this article. It's got some good advice and interesting information.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2168872/Juice-diet-Flaky-skin-hair-rotten-teeth-The-latest-dieting-fad-pretty-ugly-effects.html
    Ok..so maybe I am uneducated on the topic....but I find the whole juicing thing more of a fad diet than anything. You do not eat..you drink and you lose tons of weight (only to gain it back when you start eating again...which you will!)

So..my husband who had tried it before...(note tried it - and stopped..you would think this would tell him something LOL) now he wants to do it again. His thought is from AM till 5 PM Monday through Friday he juices. Has dinner with us (my forceful idea as I am uncomfortable with him drinking his dinner in front of our 8 yr old children) and I think a snack at night. Weekends I think he said he would not juice but eat like I had planned for him. (he started counting calories on this past Monday).

Now...my reason for posting this is just as I said at the beginning I am uneducated in this topic since I feel strongly it is like the Hollywood fad diets out there. Mind you he watched that fat sick nearly dead thing I watched a little bit and stopped. I like food - I could not drink my meals all day long so I am very close minded to it and was not interested in seeing any more :/

So if my fellow MFPs could weigh in and give me your thoughts - hopefully to either open up my mind a bit (for his sake) - or give me ways to talk him out of it haha
    If his plan above is not a bad idea...then I will be 100% supportive. But if it screams "BAD idea" Give me some reasons why since things like "are you freaking crazy - you will end up consuming 500 cals a day and lose all your muscle!!" just is not working for him LMAO ;)...Mind you he originally wanted to juice all day / every day!

Thanks guys!! (and gals!)
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i don't think it is very manly to juice but that is my personal opinion. i would take away my husband's man card if he wanted to juice. i have never tried it. i never will. i agree that is a fad diet. why doesn't he just go lift and drink a protein shake after- you could use a blender for those too! :)
  • melinda200208
    Options
    I would prefer my husband to be an example to my kids by juicing a lot rather than driving them through McDonalds or making frozen processed foods every night for dinner.....It could be worse. It sounds like he is still eating dinner, snacks, and eating on the weekends. Nothing wrong with it. He is drinking juice from vegetables that come from the earth.
    He shouldn't do anything that you wouldn't encourage your child to do, or your teenager to do, or your twenty year old child to do. He is supposed to be setting an example for you child as to how to eat healthfully and balanced. He is a parent and he has that responsibility. He could include juice, of course, to add to his diet, but not as every single meal for multiple days in a row. What kind of parental message is that to send? If that's not enough to convince him that it's a horrible idea then I don't know what is.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i don't think it is very manly to juice but that is my personal opinion. i would take away my husband's man card if he wanted to juice. i have never tried it. i never will. i agree that is a fad diet. why doesn't he just go lift and drink a protein shake after- you could use a blender for those too! :)

Wtf?
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Wtf?

wtf? wtf?
  • melinda200208
    Options
    Wow! Harsh! Watch Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. This overweight guy did a juice fast (all vegetables) and eventually went off ALL of his medications. He was diabetic too. No longer diabetic. I incorporate a vegetable juice into my diet every day because I would never eat 2 green apples, a cucumber, a lemon, 4 stalks of celery, kale, and ginger root every day. This is my way of getting extra nutrients. How do you know he is going to fail for sure? He may just need this kick start to drop the first so many pounds and then he can incorporate the juice into his diet along with normal foods as well.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    I am glad I am currently single and can eat what I want when I want without interference these days.
    I am into juicing for a couple of months now. I have never successfully only had juices all day ever, even at my
    best I have consumed salads, sprouted peas and beans and seed bars , nuts, and thick smoothies.
    I would let him do what he likes and see for himself the health benefits and what he can manage.
    My aim is to be raw vegan and I had to get back on here because its amazing the amount of calories you can consume,
    especially with a healthy appetite from fitness.

As those into juicing say : Nobody goes into a frenzy over people eating junk food, ask them how they are going to live and
    where are they going to get there nutrients from, but juice a large quantity of vegetable and fruits, and people are freaked out!

Here is my problem - I think he is doing it to drop weight fast. He has been having problems with his back and thinks his weight is to blame. He is already losing counting calories but knows he lost more that one week he tried the juicing. So my thought (fear) is that he is not doing it for the "healthy" reasons but more of a quick fix. Then when he goes back to eating food...we are back to square one.

I am not freaking out believe me...not my style. But trying to convince him to lose the weight in a manner that he can continue for the rest of his life so he does not have to start all over in 6 months. In my mind...like I said pure juicing is just a quick fix. Convincing him to eat a sensible dinner in addition to juicing took me a bit of pressure to convince him. Mind you we have 2 - 8 year old girls. i do not under any circumstance want them to have unhealthy relationships with food so I am careful how they perceive food. Seeing their Daddy (who they copy quite often) drink his meals = unhealthy thoughts later on in life. So I got him to agree to that. Right now he says he won't on the weekend - but if he drops weight he may be intrigued to push it further. Being single without kids is one thing...being married with small children (female mind you and one already with weight issues..) is another.

Not to mention - protein...how much protein can he get with the food he chooses to juice?? - Losing muscle is not an option.

Ok yes drastic weight loss is the usual angle rather than health, I understand now.

Your questions deserve answers:

Vegetables provide incomplete proteins, chains of amino acids, apparently the body can reuse protein and have chains of amino acids in store , so doesn't need full chain to be eaten in one day.

Spinach 49% protein
    kale 45% protein
    broccoli 45% protein
    cauliflower 48% protein
    cucumber 24% protein
    green pepper 22% protein

If he wasn't eating an evening meal it would be good to eat sprouted beans and seed and various nuts

Hope this helps

Perfect - yes that helps!!! Now question - is this before juicing totals or after? Does juicing really just remove fiber? Or do they lose other nutrients such as above?

For a man with his build I am very concerned about protein. Especially since he mentioned starting the gym. And like I said when he did it before I noticed he was grabbing veggies / fruits that he likes and knows..without any rhyme or reason. Thank you tons for this!