Best/Worst Thing People Said on your Weight Loss Journey?

Options

Replies

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Best: None yet, but my jeans feel like they fit nicer

Worst: "you lost 1 lb in 10 days?.. I would get discouraged if it took that long"

another worst: we were looking at bodies online that were same weight as our current weight, she directed me to one that she thought looked like mine.... it was an apple shaped body that was at LEAST 2 sizes bigger, . My body is more like an hourglass but I don't have large boobs. I was insulted by the person she picked to look like me.. .. I sometimes feel like certain people in my life think my flaws are greater than they are.. and I am constantly looking at my own flaws, I don't need additional help.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Best things:
    You're definitely the winner of the "person I know who's lost the most weight without bariatric surgery." (therapist)
    You've lost more than I weigh! (my husband weighs about 128 pounds.)
    You've lost like a teenager!
    I want to lose what you've lost - will you freind me? (MFP'ers)
    OMG - where'd you go? You look so great!!

Worst things:
    Doesn't Spanx make something that can help you with that? (loose skin/fat around the belly area from losing so much weight) my mother

You're as fat as a pig! - my daughter
    Why are you so fat? - other kids
    Let's be realistic...You can't lose the weight without surgery, otherwise you would have done it by now. - an allergist I once went to
    I can't believe your doctor wants you to lose 90 pounds before he'll put in a lap-band! You should go to a different doctor because you need it now. - my mother

Kids are supposed to outlive the parents, and we're so afraid you'er going to die. - my mother
    I don't want your kids to grow up without their mother. - my mother
    I'll pay you $10/pound to lose weight. - my grandfather
    Nice boys don't like fat girls. - my mother

Doctor to Nurse: Last time I saw stretchmarks like these were on a pregnant woman! - a jerk of an OB/GYN my mother took me to, only to find out she asked him to say something to me about my weight.

Going to a doctor appointment one morning, a nurse went to check me in, and said, "You've lost a lot of weight - you must've had surgery...."

You are so fat. If you lost weight you might actually be pretty - all my friends think so. - said my brother and sister

I REALLY don't like it when I go out to eat with others, and when looking at the menu we start asking each other what we're going to get, and people start saying, "I'm getting whatever Beth's getting..." --- HEY people - don't make me responsible for your choices!!

Tub-o-LARD - said my brother
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Worst - they called it a Journey.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The best/worst thing someone did or said to me while on my weight loss journey is . . .

Best thing. Me and my best friend live far from each other but we text a lot. We decided (2.5 weeks ago) that we would start a weight loss journey together. We both have been supporting each other and encouraging one another to lose the weigh we've been accumulating over the years.
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Best - You look tiny! (I have never been decribed that way before, and I aonly half way!)
    Worst - Arent you taking this a bit too seriously? (Yes! I have committed to this, how should I be? Not serious?)
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    EASY;

Worst - "Man, you don't need to lose weight, you look fine". When I looked like I was 9mo pregnant ... and I'm a dude .....< This from almost everybody I know .....

Best - " Bro, I remember when you looked like you could lift a house. Now you're fat as h*ll, you need to lose some weight and get back in shape man ...." < This from my brother up in OH, after I sent him a couple pics from last Christmas.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Best - (after embracing me and 8 months not seeing each other) Oh my god you are so tiny now!!
    Worst - You know, you are never going to be as skinny as me. (said by a friend of mine who has always effortlessly been a size 6/us size 2 and I was clearly her "fat friend')
  • Prettee2B
    Prettee2B Posts: 39
    Options
    Now that I think about it the Worst thing that has been said "You're too pretty to be that damn fat" as actually become the
    Best thing along with "You're doing a wonderful thing and you're a great inspiration, you're looking good" :smile:
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is good or bad, but someone once (very concerned) asked me if I was sick, and that's why I'd lost weight...
  • iamabutterflychaser
    iamabutterflychaser Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Worst - from my mother years ago. She has no involvement with my life or health now.

'Theres no point in you ever trying to lose weight, you'll just have disgusting baggy skin and have to have it all cut off, which is even uglier than your fat' (I weighed about 145 lbs at the time)

'I told them when they said my daughter was looking very slim that they must have the wrong person because you aren't particularly anything' (I weighed about 115 lbs at the time)

'Oh. I suppose you have lost a bit of fat. It still shows on your face though' (112 lbs)

'People won't like you because you're fat and greedy. If you want them to like you, you have to starve yourself. ' (age 11, 5 foot 1 tall, weighing 74 lbs)

This made me cry! I don't want to believe that a mother could be so cruel to her own child, but sadly I have seen and heard too many examples of this. It is for the best that she is not involved in your life right now. Sometimes you just need to cut out the negative influences in life that hold you down and discourage you - even if they are family. Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey. I hope that you have found good people in life to support and love you for being you! :flowerforyou:
  • Sid1988
    Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The best being along the lines of "wow you look incredible..." always a confident boost.

The worst was when i was at a party a few years back dressed up as Amy Winehouse a "Cool outfit, a pregnant amy winehouse" ....i wasn't pregnant.
  • jenniferfiedler
    Options
    The best was my sister saying I motivated her, she lost 50 lbs! The worst was a friend telling me in the future, when I have kids, I will gain it all back.
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Best: You wont be able to do it (encouraged me to work harder!)
    Worst: Go on, eat some crisps..... what kinda idiot does that?
  • Prisme
    Prisme Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Best:
    Me: complaining to a friend how hard my trainer was working me and that I didn't think I could do it.
    Her: "that's cause he sees the potential in you"
    :smile:
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'll pay you $10/pound to lose weight. - my grandfather

I would definitely take him up on that offer!! I would have made $250 already. (=
  • jenniferfiedler
    Options
    Best..my daughter told me my clothes were getting to big for me :)

worst...A doctor once said to me ' its a shame your not a pig then i could hang you up and slice the fat off you' then he laughed and left me feeling like crap :(

Oh my gosh! I don't know what I'd do if a doctor said that to me. I hope you got rid of him!
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Best: "You look skinny!"

Worst: Ex grandmother in law (she said this when I was still married to her grandson) "You have lost a lot of weight! I can see it in your boobs!"
  • skitttlesrock
    skitttlesrock Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Worse: said by current boyfriend!! (while sitting on a chair letting my stomach rolls show)... " I thought you were on a diet trying to lose weight" !!!!

Best: "feel that *kitten* shrinking" (while making me feel my *kitten*)
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Best:, ' you've lost a lot of weight' comments from my daughter, guys n PTs in the gym!
    worst: no ones said any thing bad but the worst thing is I bought new gym wear in Jan this year, too big now so bought new gym stuff again! Bought size smaller spring clothes, but some are loose already OMG im glad but I wont fit right in any thing till Im at goal weight. Financially its BAD, but im happy too but shocked at the quick changes.
  • Esusanr
    Esusanr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Best: "I'm so proud of you! You've put in a ton of work and it shows!" (said by husband)
    Worst: "Nobody thought we looked alike until we both got fat" (said by cousin after someone commented on how he could see the family resemblance.)
    "But you have such a beautiful face..." (said by mother while shaking her head.