artificially sweetened soda gives you diabetes

Options

Replies

• jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've drank it all my life, not everyday but most, it's my achilles heel and I used my step dad's tester kit a few times recently and my sugar levels are 5.5 which is pretty much perfect.
  • MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options
    I will not drink any soda (diet or otherwise) even if there is no link to any Diabetes type (I or II).

That chemical stuff is bad for my body, my health and my wallet.

To each its own

this^^ I picked up a can one day and saw that every ingredient other than water was a man-made chemical. No more for me.
    Would you drink a liquid composed of H2O, C6H12O6, C6H8O7, with other trace chemicals naturally occuring?

if that's more commonly known as beer, abso-f'n'lutely i'd drink it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I will not drink any soda (diet or otherwise) even if there is no link to any Diabetes type (I or II).

To each its own

this^^ I picked up a can one day and saw that every ingredient other than water was a man-made chemical. No more for me.
    Would you drink a liquid composed of H2O, C6H12O6, C6H8O7, with other trace chemicals naturally occuring?

Nope. Lots of school children are forced to drink it in the morning, though.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I work in Diabetes research in one of the top diabetes research centers in the world, so I asked several of the scientists, here who have been working on this very thing. All they can tell me is that there is some concern that diet soda might because of the schemicals in it that effect insulin secretion. They were quick to tell me that they are not sure how strong the data is,yet, but that' the theory. This is still pretty new, so the jury is still waaayyy out on this.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I've drank it all my life, not everyday but most, it's my achilles heel and I used my step dad's tester kit a few times recently and my sugar levels are 5.5 which is pretty much perfect.

SHE'S A WITCH!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiKQ1w4jtWS_PkQXI9zXMb8dar-G4iQ5W1yv4U5h6C-dXq-2V9
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lvekxqJFrs1qkxovyo2_250.gif

courtneycox_zps7e8e1e0b.gif
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I agree with every single post in this thread.
  • MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options

To each its own

damn.
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Scott2ndGradeTeacher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am assuming the term "in moderation" has been thrown out the window?

I know some people are vehement against sodas (and diet sodas, in particular), but the logic doesn't seem to add up.

God is love,
    Love is blind.
    Ray Charles is blind.
    Therefore…
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

To each its own

let see..water, glucose and citric acid
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Funny. I've been drinking Diet Coke since I was 15 (I'm 39 next week) and Diet Dr. Pepper since it came out. Only in the last few months have I seriously cut back from the 64-96 ounces of diet whichever a day to about 24 ounces a day and only water at work (and I get 64 ounces of water in that way).

I didn't gain weight until I was 20, went to college, and began taking Depo-Provera. As a single mom, I definitely took the easy way out and 3 large pizzas for $20 was a weekly standard (it did take us 3 days to eat it all, though....).

My blood sugars are perfectly normal.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    good ole MFP mob and the false association of "chemicals" and "ingredients"

water is ONE ingredient made up of natural chemicals and it is found in nature. apples are one ingredient made up of natural chemicals and they are found in nature.

coca cola is made up of multiple ingredients, many of which are made up of synthetic chemicals and it is not found in nature.

clear?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Funny. I've been drinking Diet Coke since I was 15 (I'm 39 next week) and Diet Dr. Pepper since it came out. Only in the last few months have I seriously cut back from the 64-96 ounces of diet whichever a day to about 24 ounces a day and only water at work (and I get 64 ounces of water in that way).

I didn't gain weight until I was 20, went to college, and began taking Depo-Provera. As a single mom, I definitely took the easy way out and 3 large pizzas for $20 was a weekly standard (it did take us 3 days to eat it all, though....).

My blood sugars are perfectly normal.

you didn't gain weight until you were 20 and in college because *gasp* your metabolism slowed down, which is what always. happens to people as they age.

drinking soda in moderation is fine, however people who drink it as much as you do are also much more likely to make other poor dietary choices.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I work in Diabetes research in one of the top diabetes research centers in the world, so I asked several of the scientists, here who have been working on this very thing. All they can tell me is that there is some concern that diet soda might because of the schemicals in it that effect insulin secretion. They were quick to tell me that they are not sure how strong the data is,yet, but that' the theory. This is still pretty new, so the jury is still waaayyy out on this.

but why the hell risk it, if diabetes researchers can't even definitively say it's safe?
  • moliva4
    moliva4 Posts: 29
    Options
    Yeah - I've been drinking diet coke since I was a teenager - maybe younger. I test my blood sugar every 6 months. I'm good - not to say that it's a definitive thing anyways. Leads to... isn't saying 100% of the people get it... and saying there is a corelation as many people have pointed out does not show cause. *shrugs* I'm going to continue to have it as a treat.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    'Associated'.

So your title isn't at all justified

To each its own
    Yea, full of the nasty chemical DHMO!!!!!!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    correlation is not the same as causation....just saying
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Genetics can predisposition you for diabetes...we should just rip out our pancreas and call it a day?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Genetics can predisposition you for diabetes...we should just rip out our pancreas and call it a day?

but that doesn't mean diabetes has to manifest. you can lower the likelihood of that happening by how well you take care of yourself
  • fightingthefood
    Options
    I don't think you can blame diet soda for my diabetes as I didn't drink it before I had it. I will have to say since cutting out not only diet soda and all food with artificial sweetners I don't walk around feeling like I am starving all the time. Have also been able to stop all the insulin shots (4 a day) I was having to take. But the better choices in the things I am eating now also plays a big part of that also. So for me that trade off is worth not drinking it. I also have a 9 year old daughter that besides the formula when she was a baby drinks nothing but water. She has never had a cavity in any of her teeth yet her 8 sister and 6 year old brother who are allowed either a glass of sweet tea or soda with one meal of the day (rest of day has to be milk or water) seem to get them.