artificially sweetened soda gives you diabetes

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

people who eat a lot of "white carbs" are more likely to eat at a surplus and are therefore more likely to have a higher risk of diabetes

Actually, the studies show that the largest increase in intake, over the period which there has been an increase in obesity, is actually pretty much split between fats and flours/cereals. As flour/cereals are not all 'white', then shouldn't the finger be pointed at fats?

[BTW - I am not actually pointing the finger at fats - just applying the same logic]
  • dfurton83
    dfurton83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that mean that any product with artificial sweeteners would cause diabetes?? As stated before most people who drink diet drinks are already diabetic or overweight. Best bet is to stay away from both soda and artificial sweeteners. Although I'm not going to lie every once in a while I treat myself to a Mountain Dew (but not diet, I like real sugar).
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    uuugh as if!
    tumblr_m4v6s9phln1rwsy4to1_250.gif
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

people who eat a lot of "white carbs" are more likely to eat at a surplus and are therefore more likely to have a higher risk of diabetes

Actually, the studies show that the largest increase in intake, over the period which there has been an increase in obesity, is actually pretty much split between fats and flours/cereals. As flour/cereals are not all 'white', then shouldn't the finger be pointed at fats?

[BTW - I am not actually pointing the finger at fats - just applying the same logic]

people who eat a lot of high fat foods also are more likely to eat at a surplus. same thing.

also i didn't think i needed to spell it out, but those of us counting calories are the very, very small minority. out in the real world, people who don't count calories and who eat diets high in fats or simple carbs or both are very likely to be eating at a caloric surplus.

relax y'all. there's really nothing to fight about here, but if you want to, go for it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

people who eat a lot of high fat foods also are more likely to eat at a surplus. same thing.

also i didn't think i needed to spell it out, but those of us counting calories are the very, very small minority. out in the real world, people who don't count calories and who eat diets high in fats or simple carbs or both are very likely to be eating at a caloric surplus.

relax y'all. there's really nothing to fight about here, but if you want to, go for it.

Just pointing out the that pointing the finger specifically at white carbs does not make sense.

Oh, and I am perfectly relaxed - not sure why you think I am not.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Just pointing out the that pointing the finger specifically at white carbs does not make sense.

i know you're not from the US, but "y'all" generally refers to a group of people, and not one person in particular.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people think this one is trolling, but I had read it before on a paleo forum where they had a similar topic. I'm not saying artificially sweetened soda is what gives you diabetes (dang do I have a hard time not spelling it diabeetus) but that artificial sugars can cause it, no matter what form they're in (sodas, yogurt, snack bars, etc), though I'd guess soda gets the rap as that's where it's consumed in the greatest quantities in one sitting (assumption at least). I don't ingest artificial sweetners because they seem to give me a migraine (if anything, the less sweet stuff, the better), because sugar and their artificial friends, act like sugar, apparently.

Aspartame gives me raging headaches! ...and I so rarely ever got headaches before eating foods with NutraSweet in them. When I quit using aspartame, I quit getting headaches. That's science enough for me, when it regards artificially sweetened foods and my own body. I don't need any further evidence for me.
    If it works for you, have at it. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

i know you're not from the US, but "y'all" generally refers to a group of people, and not one person in particular.

I assumed as you were quoting me you were talking to me *shrugs*
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see you guys can joke around about this stuff but diabetes is very serious problem in America

You're right, it is. But it isn't as simple as drinking diet soda or not. This isn't a good study.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    both my parents have the type 2 diabeetus. I drink a lot of diet soda. I have been on seroquel for 2 years, which can also give you diabeetus.

So far, every 6 months they have checked me in the last 2 years, I have not come down with the diabeetus
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,017 Member
    Options
    Obviously Type 2 diabetes has many factors - as seen in list in post upthread.

Of course one can't control one's factors like age, racial group, family history, but it makes sense to minimise one's risk by controlling the factors one can control - particulary weight control.

However I dont think any one food is to blame - lots of chocoloate, pastries, sugar, burgers etc is likely to be associated with obesity.

Lots of diet sodas possibly too - although this seems unproven.

Key word is 'lots' though - I see no reason to quit eating any chocolate at all or to quit drinking the 3 or 4 glasses of diet coke I drink per week.

Sensible moderation is the key, as with all things.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Not one of these studies again.

Awhile back there was one that said you have a shorter life span if you eat meat and the test was conducted on people who ate X amount a day. Where X was a large amount, more than the average person would eat, and most likely someone who had a unhealthy lifestyle.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    they are all chemicals and my poor daughter had a horrible reaction to a drink with sucralose in it, I no longer let her have anything with artificial sweeteners in them and it doesn't have to be diet to have them in.
    Most of the drink like squash have them in even though they are not the no added sugar ones.
    As i don't drink the drinks myself i didn't realise they was in them and made the stupid mistake of thinking the regular drinks had just normal sugar but was very wrong.

Aspartame causes headaches and has been tested on human subjects including children and they still put it in the drinks they know our children will drink.
    I posted in a group what happened to my daughter and a few ppl replyed with the side affects they got from just sucralose,the other sweetener in the drink Acesulfame K turned out it's not even had any human testing but caused rats livers and kidneys to swell but is still added to drinks but they had spent the time to make the colours and flavours natural but the sweet taste is chemical...doesn't make sense.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    to quote from the study
    Both SSB(sugar-sweetened beverages) consumption and ASB(artificially sweetened beverages) consumption were associated with increased T2D(type 2 diabetes) risk.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/01/30/ajcn.112.050997

Maybe this will finally stop all you saboteurs who try to push diet soda on us
    Push diet soda on someone? Uh no, we just don't accept BS conclusions and lies from people who disagree with us drinking it. Big difference.
    Oh and FAIL.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    they are all chemicals and my poor daughter had a horrible reaction to a drink with sucralose in it, I no longer let her have anything with artificial sweeteners in them and it doesn't have to be diet to have them in.
    Most of the drink like squash have them in even though they are not the no added sugar ones.
    As i don't drink the drinks myself i didn't realise they was in them and made the stupid mistake of thinking the regular drinks had just normal sugar but was very wrong.

Aspartame causes headaches and has been tested on human subjects including children and they still put it in the drinks they know our children will drink.
    I posted in a group what happened to my daughter and a few ppl replyed with the side affects they got from just sucralose,the other sweetener in the drink Acesulfame K turned out it's not even had any human testing but caused rats livers and kidneys to swell but is still added to drinks but they had spent the time to make the colours and flavours natural but the sweet taste is chemical...doesn't make sense.
    Unfortunately anecdotes aren't evidence.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options

Unfortunately anecdotes aren't evidence.

IDEA Fitness member

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-sweeteners.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page10.htm#acesulfamekcon
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Aspartame 'causes headaches' no more than peanuts cause death.
    Sure, there are cases that both have happened, but that doesn't mean it's the same for everyone by a long shot.
    You do know you were replying to a comment of 'Unfortunately anecdotes aren't evidence.' with nothing more than a link to other anecdotes?

And from a site which promotes other scaremongering myths for the first one.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "To add to this body of evidence, a new study in the journal Obesity examines the association between sugary drinks and diet beverages and the accumulation of fat, especially belly or visceral fat - the fat inside the abdomen that is active metabolically and associated with heart disease and diabetes.
    Drinking more sugary drinks was associated with significantly more belly fat and wider waistlines.
    Drinking more diet drinks (sweetened by non-caloric sweeteners) was associated with a larger waist circumference, higher BMI and more total fat, but not with increased visceral or belly fat."

Do Sugary Drinks Cause Belly Fat?
    http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/do-sugar-drinks-cause-belly-fat-2570293.html
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    "To add to this body of evidence, a new study in the journal Obesity examines the association between sugary drinks and diet beverages and the accumulation of fat, especially belly or visceral fat - the fat inside the abdomen that is active metabolically and associated with heart disease and diabetes.
    Drinking more sugary drinks was associated with significantly more belly fat and wider waistlines.
    Drinking more diet drinks (sweetened by non-caloric sweeteners) was associated with a larger waist circumference, higher BMI and more total fat, but not with increased visceral or belly fat."

Do Sugary Drinks Cause Belly Fat?
    http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/do-sugar-drinks-cause-belly-fat-2570293.html
    Correlation =/= causation.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    OMG Diet soda will kill you with enough exposure.

Even being in a family of diet soda drinkers puts you at risk.

It's the new secondhand smoke.