What's the best weight loss / fitness advice you ever got?

Options

Replies

• bekkadillon
    bekkadillon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Mine was "Be Honest". You can take that many ways. but at the begining i was logging all my food but small things here or there i didnt and when i finally added everything in i realized why i wasnt looking weight. So i was pretty much lying to myself and the system.
    So 100% doesnt matter what i eat im honest and log everything. doesnt matter if im 5000 calories over i log it.

Just Be Honest

Just love this! If you can't be honest with yourself, you aren't ready!
  • runningnatural
    runningnatural Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love that! WL is SIMPLE. Like many have said, "Calories in, Calories out". It's just so hard to stick to that guess it's just a matter of self control.
  • ObjectInMotion
    Options
    Progress is measured in more ways than on a scale and even a little progress is still progress. Look at how far you can run now, how much you can lift now, what your body fat is, how your clothes fit, etc...tons of ways to measure how far you've come.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Something I just learned today and will apply to my life:

For us girls/ladies...when it's "that" time--DON"T weigh yourself at all, just wait until it's over. I'm going to do that starting NOW!

Some others are:

Don't stop when you're tired...stop when you're finished.

You can't outrun your fork AND you can't out exercise a poor diet.

Sweat is fat crying.

Being Fat and flabby is not only unattractive, it's unhealthy--think about this and then do something about it EVERYDAY until it's gone and you're slim and trim!

Off topic but its interesting how different people are. I never gain weight on my period. It usually is the same or goes down. It is probably being so overweight though if I was closer to goal it might go up.
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed this thread. :)
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Not something someone told me, somthing I actually thought to myself one day.
    "If you had stuck to every weight loss plan you had started, you would be slim and healthy by now"
    After I realized that I started losing weight for real and never looked back.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Eat to live, don't live to eat!

Yes--I think this one probably gets to the core of the problem of obesity in America. The pursuit of pleasure has become a national pastime and it is killing the people. It was not always this way.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Eat in moderation & don't restrict your favorite foods.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is the best.
    My doctor told me if I wanted to lose weight, "eat a head of cabbage a day".

It certainly wouldn't leave room for much else. :bigsmile:

I would be doubled over in pain if I did this! Can you imagine!
  • MarshCat79
    MarshCat79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump. Awesome thread. I love this one:
    You can eat anything you want just not all in the same day.
  • mspasdechat
    mspasdechat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "Eat food. Not too much. Nothing your grandmother wouldn't recognize."
  • Minda1216
    Minda1216 Posts: 32
    Options
    Someone posted on mfp:

If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry....

wow-that rang true as I am a mindless night snacker!!!!

Love that!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    " take the fork out of your mouth"
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Logging my food and exercise into MFP daily has been the most helpful, enlightening, and motivating habit I've formed, since my personal trainer really urged me to do it.

Even more importantly than keeping me aware of my intake calories for each day to ensure I'm at a deficit regularly, is that it helps me ensure that I'm getting *enough* calories and a good balance of macros and micro-nutrients that will keep me healthy and strong. After all, being the healthiest and strongest me I can be is my ultimate goal. Losing weight is what happens when I'm working toward ultimate health and strength.

Another aspect of MFP that is so motivating and potentially educational is the community and the support here, from others who are on a similar path as I am.

Thank you, MFP! :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Don't give up trying and switching to find what suits you.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    The best advice i ever got and still use to this day is : Dont make excuses. There are a million little reasons why you cant make it to the gym ( or however you burn your cals) But there are very few true reasons why you cant. If you want it you will find the time.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you.

I needed to step out of my comfort zone in order to change my life, health, body and mind! Else, I knew, nothing was going to change.
  • susan9
    susan9 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Know when you are really hungry. Don't eat because you're thirsty, tired, stressed, tempted,watching tv etc.
    Keep track of what you eat. That goes without saying because you are on mfp
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    One day won't mess up you whole life. Just get up again and keep working.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Slow down! Your body hasn't caught up to your mind yet, and if you re-injure yourself it never will.