Exercise...no...not for you fatty.

Options
cazzer69
cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
Slight rant here....why do manufacturers make exercise equipment with stupidly low weight limits on them?
Damnit if I weighed that low I wouldn't need the machine in the first place.

That's it...rant over...2 out of 10 not enough swearing, I know.

Replies

• mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that kinda pissed me off too. I guess I need to buy the "health club reinforced version."
  • kevinpruitt
    kevinpruitt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Can totally agree with the rant here. My wife and I purchased a recumbent bike. After getting it home and putting it together I discovered it had a 275lb limit..WTH? why? Not a problem for my wife who falls far below that, me ..not so much. Still hasnt stopped me from using it but a ridiculous limit non the less
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Definitely get what you mean mate, I had to lose weight to start using the Wii. There's no bucking that, I flat out told me I was too heavy for the balance board! LOL! But have you ever noticed they don't have weight limits on amusement park rides? That's scary, I always wondered, when they build a roller coaster, do they put a fat *kitten* like me in the seat to see if the restraints will hold? Ponder that buddy!!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Because not just overweight/obese people exercise?
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    because you should use free weights over machines
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with outside? why do you need a machine?

I personally hate doing cardio on a machine unless I absolutely have to.. I'd much rather be outside!
  • MissaSolemnis
    MissaSolemnis Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I personally hate doing cardio on a machine unless I absolutely have to.. I'd much rather be outside!

Which would be awesome if it didn't get up to 110 degrees out where I live. I'll take a cardio machine over heat stroke any way.
  • junco1971
    junco1971 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    yah I was going to buy a step exercise video but couldn't find a step that held my weight. Same thing for the elliptical machine it won't hold me either. And I need very low impact workouts because I need a knee replacement and have back issues so those would have been good for me to do.I guess I have to just wait and lose the weight first and exercise later.
  • tamrod2
    tamrod2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    :laugh: RIGHT??? Doesn't make any sense!!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    My old scale had a 250 lbs weight limit on it. I was like :noway:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Which would be awesome if it didn't get up to 110 degrees out where I live. I'll take a cardio machine over heat stroke any way.

No kidding. I will exercise outside from late October through early April. Other than that, being outside is pretty much limited to the mad dash from my car to the building.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Because not just overweight/obese people exercise?

Wow.
  • pamela667
    pamela667 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm right with you there! My husband had to lose weight to be able to use the WII and that stinks - I mean, yes, there's a motivation, but you shouldn't be unable to use EXERCISE EQUIPMENT. Make it all durable and heavy-duty! It will last longer!

And I will add - I CANNOT STAND SCALES THAT ONLY GO UP TO A CERTAIN WEIGHT. We have bought so many scales....
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Slight rant here....why do manufacturers make exercise equipment with stupidly low weight limits on them?

I do agree but this is something to consider before you buy anything. read the specs. Only buy things you can use and do not be afraid to send back stuff that you can not. Best of luck to you. You are well on your way.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Which is why you go out early morning or late at night.. Pretty sure it's not 110 degrees at 6 am.

Nothing says you have to exercise mid-day when it's hottest out.

Plus you don't know where OP lives.. it may be different for him.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    LOL! My husband says this stuff all the time. Most equipment I've seen has a 250 max on it. It's so stupid.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I used workout videos until I felt comfortable enough to go join a gym. Are you looking to purchase one or use them at the gym?

Keep doing what you are doing :) Best of luck to you!
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Whomever said not having weight limits on amusement rides...wrong. They do it just depends on the company owning and the policies they have in place. I live not far from Tampa where Busch Gardens is and they definitely have weight limits, I've seen people turned down before.

I also live in the extreme heat, it's been in the 90s already and it's not even technically summer, but I go in the early morning, 7-9ish or late at night 6-8ish before it gets dark. Granted I would rather workout in the afternoon instead of hit my "oh my god it's 2pm I want to take a nap" plateau but nonetheless you have to do what you have to do.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The reason is because they can use less/cheaper materials to make it with, thus reducing the price. You could buy ones with higher weight limits usually, but at a higher price.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I weigh well within the weight limits and still need the machines.

That said, my cheap, kind of chintzy elliptical takes up to 300 pounds. That isn't "stupidly low." That's a lot of weight. You can always, I don't know, buy a pair of shoes and step outside for a walk. Pretty sure the Earth has a higher weight limit. :-) I run outside in Florida in the middle of the day in July and August, FYI. Stay hydrated.