Sick and Tired of feeling Hungry

Options
How can I feel full with out going crazy on the food any ideas?

Replies

• cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    More protein and water is my trick.
  • pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    Ok now I am going to say this and I might get slammed. I am coming from a place were until the past few years I never had a problem with my weight but most of my family has...including my hubby. My observation is this idea of feeling FULL instead of just not hungry. I have seen my mother only feeling satisfied after she was stuffed. I think people have to get use to feeling not hungry instead of full. Does that make sense. I know it may seem like I am splitting hairs but there is a difference.

IF you are eating really healthy food you will be more full because your body is getting the nutrition it needs and not just calories it does help.

Michelle
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Can't see what you're eating.

I drink a lot of water, and eat A LOT of veggies and high in fiber foods. I am normally stuffed after a salad because I put so MUCH in it.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    My observation is this idea of feeling FULL instead of just not hungry. I have seen my mother only feeling satisfied after she was stuffed. I think people have to get use to feeling not hungry instead of full. Does that make sense. I know it may seem like I am splitting hairs but there is a difference.

Agreed. You should also never really eat until you are full. Once you are full you've eaten too much. I forget but it's something like I heard at WW like it takes your body x minutes to realize it's satisfied and you normally eat past that to full because you don't give it time.

Take time when you eat. Put your fork down. Chew. go slow. You will feel full faster.
  • Kagemori
    Kagemori Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My trick is the when and how I eat. With the way I work it is always easier if I just skip a meal. typically I always skip lunch. its just better for me that way. I take in about 1200 cals a day. so I start with a breakfast that's about 400 cals or less. durning the day I will drink a lot of water and around lunch time have a light healthy snack. I usually always have either celery with PB or apples PB(I love PB).

then for dinner I will eat a more filling meal. Normally something with protein. About a week or so ago I cooked some hamburger patties before I started my diet. Ive just been eating the patties without a bun, and because the patties are pretty thick and big they usually fill me up.

but really I think the trick is when you eat and what you eat. and water, cant forget the water.
  • colleenwallander
    colleenwallander Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I will be honest I'm a horrible eater X_x I do however enjoy salads by some unknown reason I'm done eating today but I'll try larger salad tomorrow. Pmteet you could be right this could just be a craving more than hunger pain. So I guess the question is how do I kill the craving to eat. I been keeping up with the water intake thus far yay but not nearly enough veggies because I do not like how they taste X_x I sound like a little kid.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    Maybe if you open you diary people can give better insight.

I always feel so guilty. I like healthy food and veggies. I just eat too much of them. I go way over my calories.... :-/

Empty calorie (unhealthy) food makes you hungry.....
  • rdcraner
    rdcraner Posts: 11
    Options
    My observation is this idea of feeling FULL instead of just not hungry. I have seen my mother only feeling satisfied after she was stuffed. I think people have to get use to feeling not hungry instead of full. Does that make sense. I know it may seem like I am splitting hairs but there is a difference.

Agreed. You should also never really eat until you are full. Once you are full you've eaten too much. I forget but it's something like I heard at WW like it takes your body x minutes to realize it's satisfied and you normally eat past that to full because you don't give it time.

Take time when you eat. Put your fork down. Chew. go slow. You will feel full faster.

These posts are pretty spot on. The point is to not feel full, its training your mind to realize that you aren't hungry any more. The second poster is completely accurate in that you will typically eat faster than your mind can realize that you are no longer hungry. This leads to people eating in excess. The key is to exhibit portion control and wait a good length of time before you go back for seconds. Give your mind time to process the food you have consumed! Any diet change also requires a change in not only the thought processes in your mind but the adaptation of your body. If you go from consuming 3000 calories per day to consuming 1600 per day, no matter how much time you give yourself at the beginning you are always going to want to eat more. You have to push through this phase until your body adapts to eating 1600 calories. Then it becomes a mind game of working with your brain to realize you no longer need food after you've eaten reasonable portions.

Does that make sense? It starts out tough, it gets a bit easier. If it wasn't tough to begin with, everybody would be doing it!
  • pmteet
    Options
    Maybe if you open you diary people can give better insight.

I always feel so guilty. I like healthy food and veggies. I just eat too much of them. I go way over my calories.... :-/

Empty calorie (unhealthy) food makes you hungry.....

I do not adhere to the idea that a calorie is a calorie. Sure in theory I mean a pound of bricks and a pound of feathers still both equal a pound. But calories are a bit different. if you eat 2 lbs of apples a day and 2 lbs chips a day guess will make you gain weight? I don't think it is the same. IF you are going to go over go over with fruits and veggies. I know some health food guru's. They eat a LOT of fruit a LOT of fruit. They are not over weight....at all. So I am not sure that you can, in my opinion, overeat where healthy food is concerned.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    It's hard to give you pointers when your food diary isn't open, so a few general pointers.

1. Get more protein, it will keep you satisfied longer.
    2. Lots of fruits and veggies - fiber keeps you fuller, and they're good for you anyway :)
    3. Stay well hydrated - our mind often mistakes thirst for hunger.

When I'm feeling hungry/snack-y and there's no real reason I should be, I know that it's boredom-induced so I'll have a cup of tea, especially iced tea in the summer time. If I am really looking for sweets I'll add a little sugar free syrup or a sweetened creamer to get that sweetness and keep it at minimal calories.

Oh and the obvious: make sure you're eating enough. You might just be hungry because you should be!
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    It's hard to give you pointers when your food diary isn't open, so a few general pointers.

1. Get more protein, it will keep you satisfied longer.
    2. Lots of fruits and veggies - fiber keeps you fuller, and they're good for you anyway :)
    3. Stay well hydrated - our mind often mistakes thirst for hunger.

When I'm feeling hungry/snack-y and there's no real reason I should be, I know that it's boredom-induced so I'll have a cup of tea, especially iced tea in the summer time. If I am really looking for sweets I'll add a little sugar free syrup or a sweetened creamer to get that sweetness and keep it at minimal calories.

Oh and the obvious: make sure you're eating enough. You might just be hungry because you should be!

Completely agree!!!

Great idea about the sugar free syrup. I need to try that, being that I am constantly craving sweets. :S
  • autumnwater
    autumnwater Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. Fiber, protein, and water are all important, and so is the mindset.
    When I started dieting I didn't eat enough protein or fiber, and I was starving, but I got very close to my goal weight.
    Afterward I fell of the bandwagon and then I started eating like crazy. Of course I gained all my weight back. And my appetite for "bad" foods like complex carbs and sugar increased 10-fold. By depriving myself of food, I became obsessed with it.

Now I stock some junk food in my house or at work so I feel like I can always have it, but (most of the time) I never actually eat it. That helps me feel "safe". And I try to find other things to distract myself so I don't think about food all the time. And of course I try to eat more protein and fiber.

I hope this helps you.
  • pmteet
    Options
    I should have worded that differently. You could eat a large number of calories of apples and if you eat the same amount of calories in chips the chips will put on more weight. People generally do not get fat on a healthy diet no matter how many apples you eat. If you are going to go over your calories go over with fruits and veggies. There are few exceptions to the rule.

MIchelle
  • whitlisd
    whitlisd Posts: 85
    Options
    I agree with these posts too. I am on a 1500 calorie a day program when I was eating more like 3000. The first few days were hard, but if you start your day with a high protein breakfast, you will feel full longer and not be as hungry throughout the day.

My second bit of advice would be to get off sugar if that is an issue for you. Don't eat any of the "white" foods (rice, pasta, potatoes), they just leave you wanting more and really play mind games with me as far as my moods and hunger levels.

I don't necessarily view fat as a bad thing either. Everything in moderation, but having lots of protein, fiber, and foods with good fats in them will absolutely keep you full.

Water is key as well. A good 8 glasses a day!
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Ok now I am going to say this and I might get slammed. I am coming from a place were until the past few years I never had a problem with my weight but most of my family has...including my hubby. My observation is this idea of feeling FULL instead of just not hungry. I have seen my mother only feeling satisfied after she was stuffed. I think people have to get use to feeling not hungry instead of full. Does that make sense. I know it may seem like I am splitting hairs but there is a difference.

IF you are eating really healthy food you will be more full because your body is getting the nutrition it needs and not just calories it does help.

Michelle

This makes perfect sense to me. I've had a problem getting used to recognizing that I'm not really hungry when I was used to eating until I was stuffed.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I should have worded that differently. You could eat a large number of calories of apples and if you eat the same amount of calories in chips the chips will put on more weight. People generally do not get fat on a healthy diet no matter how many apples you eat. If you are going to go over your calories go over with fruits and veggies. There are few exceptions to the rule.

MIchelle

Not true at all. THe only reason people tend to not get fat eating a 'healthy' diet is becomes it takes a lot more VOLUME of food to reach the same calorie intake than eating unhealthily. If you eat 3000 (with a TDEE of 2500) calories of fruits and veggies you will gain the SAME amount as if you are 3000 calories of chocolate bars. Calories in vs calories out
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

MIchelle

Chips do have more sodium than apples. So water retention could cause a gain. I'm not sure I believe that the carb calories in one are better or worse than the carb calories in the other though.
  • pmteet
    Options

MIchelle

Not true at all. THe only reason people tend to not get fat eating a 'healthy' diet is becomes it takes a lot more VOLUME of food to reach the same calorie intake than eating unhealthily. If you eat 3000 (with a TDEE of 2500) calories of fruits and veggies you will gain the SAME amount as if you are 3000 calories of chocolate bars. Calories in vs calories out
    Tell me someone you know how got fat eating healthy foods? Just healthy foods. It does not happen. It gives people an excuse not to eat healthy. 50 calories of chips and 50 calories of apples are NOT the same! Don't fool yourself. Your body utilizes apples better than chips. The calories are not the same.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

Michelle

I agree with this 100%! I've realized that this was a BIG part of my problem! Growing up, I was so used to either feeling starved or stuffed. I didn't know what it felt like to just feel satisfied. I thought full meant stuffed. But really, full only means satisfied. You don't need to feel stuffed after eating a meal. You shouldn't in fact. You should only eat until you're satisfied. This is a lesson that I've been teaching myself (and am still getting used to) and it's helped me a lot!

So OP, I think it would be a good idea to think about this and see if maybe this contributes to your problem. Other than that, I'd recommend drinking LOTS of water and eating diet with lots of veggies and protein and not much much junk food. Junk food (such as chips, cookies, candy, snack and party-type foods, etc.) are empty calories, meaning that they're high in calories but not filling at all.
  • rdcraner
    rdcraner Posts: 11
    Options
    Calorie is a calorie is a bit of wordplay. Yes a calorie is a unit of measurement just as an inch is a unit of measurement.

The difference comes into play when we look at where those calories are sourced from. Whether its a fat gram, protein gram, or carbohydrate. There are also numerous other factors that dictate how the body processes the source of said calories. So, while a calorie is a calorie because it is just a unit of energy, the bigger picture, the macronutrients are certainly not equal.

So when this age-old debate begins about healthy and unhealthy calories, most people use the above argument. They are correct but really, I've got to believe its just a view point. People talk about healthy and unhealthy calories, what I think they really mean is healthy and unhealthy fat, protein, and carbs. But, it snowballs into this big debate about healthy and unhealthy calories and how a calorie is a calorie, etc.