WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    Have to be at work on this beautiful day.... but it is with my 2 favorite gals who are also doing MFP. I will be off Monday and Tuesay and can work in the yard then. Sounds like everyone has wonderful saturday's planned.

Oh, I have a newbie question? What is NSV ?

Gail in Atlanta, Praying that your wrist is better soon!

Barbie: Way to go maintaining the weight loss, and having to get the same SMALL size :happy:

Cold Pony: Welcome... I am a newbie too and there is alot of great support and encouragement here, post often!

Kathys Zoo - I understand about the hubby and sabotage, my hubby loves donuts... and our new home is 1/2 mile away from the grocery and daylight donuts...:grumble: However I cannot complain much. He is already retired and when I come home from work, he has dinner in the works and cooks me dinner ..:heart:

Liz from halifax... You and sister are in my prayers,, it is so hard to see a loved one suffer. You be good to yourself as well ok?

mwheatcraft: Good Idea about doing squats by a wall :wink: I have no problem getting up off the ground, just need to strengthen old muscles for holding a squat and getting back up. But after a few days I feel like I am doing much better!..... check back and see how I am doing on May 31 LOL :bigsmile:

Well sweet ladies, work awaits, everyone have a blessed Saturday ok?

Connie
    aka Colograndma
  • rosielko
    rosielko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi I joined last year and never really focused on using/posting. So I am a newbie who is now setting goals and plan on keeping them which includes logging my food and posting here! I bought a fitbit zip to help me track my steps! I look forward to meeting others and supporting/helping as well as find it for myself :) I am posting here so i will easily find this group again i hope? I need to run errands and then plan on taking my 3 dogs for nice long walk but will check back in here later and give a proper introduction :)
  • Janet4Art
    Janet4Art Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. Michele told me about this group. I hope I'm doing this right. I've done it before, in the past, but have totally forgotten.

Over time I've now lost 48 pounds. Health problems, etc. I just want to feel good again.

Anyway, here to be with you and hope for exchanges of encouragement and caring words. Just reading the cheerful posts here and the sharing and caring is already encouraging.

Last time I was here, I finally left due to the posting boards. This time I decided to just use the blog. But then Michele told me about this. Glad to be here! Thank you! Janet
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Roeann, so sorry to hear about your husband. Sincerely hope your life will brighten up soon. Good wishes on your journey.

It's a very, very rainy day in Georgia. Chilly too. Even the little Pom does not want to go out. Has been sleeping in his favorite chair all day. Will be so glad when we have warm sunny days again. But here, it often goes from chilly to very hot/humid. I'm just wishing for 70's and sunny.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    YAY – Finally broke my month-long plateau and lost 2.1 to take me past 30 lbs. gone!!!!:drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:

Kathyszoo – No, you’re not oblivious I did just change it. :laugh: Have been changing it up about once a week, but this one is so fun I may keep it Congrats on your loss this week!

LizPlus – Please be sure to take care of YOU along the way, you can’t be there for others if you’re not taking care of yourself! :flowerforyou:

CityJane – Wow, I think you ARE getting addicted - - what a good thing to be addicted to! Enjoy your wine, you’ve earned it (good luck on keeping the “sad face” for DH) :wink:

Glenda – Welcome back at it :smile:

Cheryl – Awesome news about Jackson! I think your attitude toward “maintaining your loss” is just right. Sorry to hear about the dental drama, hate that! :angry:

Roeann – So sorry for the loss of your dear husband (DH) :brokenheart: - - you certainly have cause to be “a little depressed”. Welcome to this thread, you’ll find tons of support, laughs and words of wisdom. Come back and read/post often!

Connie – NSV is “non-scale victory”, such as looser clothing, increased exercise endurance or a compliment etc. :happy:

Rosielko –
    Janet4Art – Welcome to you both! You’ve found a great source of support here so come back and read/post often :flowerforyou:

Brooke from Colorado

“Speak only if you can improve the silence.”
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends ~ Happy May to us All! I've just spent a couple of hours catching up with about 20 pages of posts. What a dedicated and inspiring bunch of ladies you are :love:

I'm little late checking in for the start of the new month and sharing results from April. Work, travel, weather, laziness...whatever! Here is my report, as I am a firm believer that you are 1000 times more likely to achieve your goals if you write them down.

Goals for April:
    Hit the goal for fiber consumption at least 3x/week. YES. Fiber is my new BFF.
    Try preparing two new vegetables. (I tried greens for the first time this month). YES. Mustard greens and broiled brussel sprouts, thanks to all who shared their cooking tips.
    Six times a week do a workout, in the gym or with an exercise dvd. YES. This is now lifestyle. I rarely go more than one day without some form of cardio. The dvd's came in handy during a business trip to a hotel that had a less than stellar gym.
    Save money for May vacation in Hawaii. YES. Was able to cash in mileage points for rental cars and found a great deal on a hotel through my island friends.
    Use sunscreen every day. YES,sorta. Only had to to my face as this crazy winter weather has had kept the rest of me covered up.

Goals for May:
    Increase water intake to 80 oz per day.
    Track my weight training.
    Get a double-digit weight loss on my MFP ticker
    Wear a pedometer even on the days I work out.
    Read all the magazine that are piling up
    Wear lots more sunscreen, especially in Hawaii.

Brooke – Holding every good thought that you’ll get good news about the job. Thank you for sharing your never-ending supply of quotes and positive comments. I'm so proud of you for busting through your plateau.

Sue in SD- Ouch! Take care of your shoulder. I’ve experienced rotator cuff injury. I hope the pain subsides and you can get well and strong again with the help of a caring physical therapist.

JaneH in CO- Congrats on getting listed in 5280 magazine. If you need a buddy to meet you at the gym, give me a call. Half the battle is just showing up. So sorry about your dad. Your parents are so blessed to have you near them.

Meg – How's Benny?

Michele- Silken tofu in brownies? I’m intrigued. I don’t scratch bake much these days, but if this turned out well, I’d love the recipe.

Santd- Welcome and please keep coming back to this thread. Over 180 pounds lost! Hard to believe that is you in the ‘before’. Keep it up, and the last bit is bound to go “buh-bye.”

Laura80111- So happeee to hear your doctor’s appointment confirmed your healthy living, and that the company’s fortunes are turning around. Sorry for your DH and fur baby… Hugs to Peanut.

Lucy- I’m with you on the sodium challenge. I never use table salt, but am painfully aware of the amount that comes with the already processed foods we eat daily. I am such a salt lover that I collect varieties from different parts of the globe. With the lovely sea or volcanic salts, I am satisfied with much less.

Exermom – I agree about the joy of buying new clothes as weight and inches come off. I have a Clothes Mentor store right next to the manicurist. It’s an upscale women’s clothing consignment store. I find great, clean, gently used items there, for a fraction of new clothes.

DeeDee – Great May goals! Flowers in the garden and a clean closet. Sounds like great feng shui to me.

Grandmallie and Katla – Congratulations on breaking your respective plateaus. Enjoy watching the numbers go down, down, down…at whatever pace works best for you.

LizPlus – Sending healing thoughts to your sister. If you feel yourself going down the path of self-sabotage, reach back to this group for support and good energy.

CityJane- Skinny jeans Girrlll! Way to go. I am like you. I NEVER wear dresses, but have to share my latest NSV was having a ‘special’ dress altered and hemmed UP. Wore it to a function where I was a speaker, and felt FAB-U-LOUS. Now, I’m off to find a few more daytime dresses for the summer.

YannieJannie- Great loss. You’re really shaping up fast.

LinFlemmer- Welcome! Keep checking in and posting. You will find encouragement here. I believe there are others on this thread who have had knee replacements, too.

Robin- Belated happy anniversary. Best wishes to your dad for a speedy recovery. Good to see you smiling in your profile picture.

Joyce in So Indiana- I’m a die-hard recumbent biker. As you build up strength, you will burn more calories by tuning up the tension. And, it has given me the added benefit of firming up my ‘wobbily bits’ on the upper calf and thigh.

Gail- Glad the diagnosis of your wrist isn’t a fracture, but I am so sorry you still have to deal with pain and cortisone shots. No fun. Take care.

Barbie- Wish I could try one of your line dancing classes. I have two left feet and the only rhythm I have is stuck on salsa/merengue.

Wessecg- Toothache? Bridges? Take care. Thanks for the update on Jackson.

Renny – Good for you for trying chiropractic care. I have been getting adjusted for over 20 years, and I have never regretted this alternative therapy for my back, ribs, neck, shoulder, hips and knees. Always feel great after an adjustment. I’m inspired by your openness to trying new exercises, too. Too bad Zumba and Dragon Boat didn’t work out, but at least you tasted them.

I travel constantly for work, but the next trip will be a vacation to the Hawaiian islands with DH. This is a deferred 25th wedding celebration. We lived there for over 17 years and still consider it 'home'. Counting the days till this Friday. :flowerforyou:

Stay well,
    Rori in the Colorado Foothills
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Wow! We've just come out of a seven hour power cut! :grumble: Makes you realise how much we rely on our precious electricity. I have no idea why it happened, but no doubt we will find out later. I felt quite helpless not being able to use the computer, phone or anything. Resorted to my Kindle with a small torch light. I was reading a novel my DH has published on Kindle. I'm enjoying it. It's the second one in a series he is writing.
    He arrived home miserable at his team's loss, but his mood was soon overshadowed by the power cut. Luckily I was able to cook the turkey burgers as we have a gas cooker. The red wine went down well and then with no TV I fell asleep on the sofa in the gathering dark.
    So glad to have my electricity back. I have to go round now and reset all the clocks in the house, and reboot the internet link on the TV. :angry: You always find there is one clock you haven't thought of. I wouldn't mind, but we had a short cut out earlier today so I've already done them all once.:explode:
    Probably won't get to sleep early tonight as I had that nap. Love to those with aches and pains. I hate that - it takes over your life.
    For those who are suffering for loved ones or missing those they love, - a very big hug.:heart:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    evening all,
    well I have been doing real well, and I didnt get to the gym because of work today, and I went over my calorie count by 112 calories, it's not really huge, but ate alot of junk today..
    I am going grocery shopping tomorrow and will try and make it on the perimeter's of the store where it is safe:ohwell:
    I am not going to freak over today, but just disappointed in myself..
    well i go grocery shopping early, get home will put that away,, go to the gym,come home and get dinner together and then the DH and the boys will go to the park, so will try and get in extra exercise tomorrow.have worn the boot on my foot the last couple of nights, I dont know if it is really doing anything, it is one of the cheaper ones from cvs, but still cost 37.00 bucks:noway:
    will keep wearing it and see if it helps the heel.
    I hope everyone is enjoying there weekend, it is gorgeous here in Ct.:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Roeann – sorry to hear about your husband. Sending you hugs..

Welcome, Janet and all the new friends.

May goals are the same for activity. Just keeping on, keeping on!

April goals – met!

Weight sessions: Goal – 10, actual - 10
    Total weights: Goal – 166,667, actual - 223,240 (on track to my 2 million pound goal for the year!)
    Cardio sessions: Goal – 15, actual -20
    Cardio time (hrs): Goal – 10, actual - 18

Was at work til 6p and need to get on to the rest of the weekend demands at home.

BBL,

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Had a nice day at Violet`s party.The best part was I got to see all 4 grandchildren.
    Ready for a nap.
    Hope you all had a good day!!
    HUGS
    jane
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your husband- .Roeann,sending hugs.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Renny – Good for you for trying chiropractic care. I have been getting adjusted for over 20 years, and I have never regretted this alternative therapy for my back, ribs, neck, shoulder, hips and knees. Always feel great after an adjustment. I’m inspired by your openness to trying new exercises, too. Too bad Zumba and Dragon Boat didn’t work out, but at least you tasted them.
    Rori in the Colorado Foothills

:flowerforyou: Rori - thanks for the feedback on the chiro. I intend to keep going, because I want to do that for MOI!

:flowerforyou: Brooke - so very happy you broke through your plateau. I celebrate with you, and hope the same will happen for me

:flowerforyou: Janet4Art - Welcome. (and thanks to Michele) Come back often. You will find much encouragement.

Bye for now

:heart: Renny (who needs to hang out some laundry)
    Vancouver Island. BC
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    Just checking in for the weekly weekend post. I can't believe how many posts in a week, WOW. Anyway, I read them all and feel up to date now.
    JaneM - glad you like your new home, happy belated birthday and I suspect the best birthday present was the visit with all the GC at Violet's birthday.
    JaneH - so sorry you are having the rough time with your dad's health but know you are an EXCELLENT daughter and it just shows that your parents raised you well. Mexico will still be there the next time you get to go.
    Dee - glad you are over the grumps and hope your 1600 cals works for you.
    Barbie and Michele - as always, your energy levels never cease to amaze and inspire.
    Cheryl - your daughter is beautiful, such promise. And I am glad you posted about Jackson and glad that prayer works.
    Everyone else - enjoy the successes, work through the challenges.

I spent the day puttering in the garden, hauling the patio furniture up from the basement storage and reassembling it (sometimes I envy you your husbands, other times I don't). The I took the dogs for a nice long ramble along the river. i keep running into the same young bear, he's very beautiful but starting to get a bit too curious and used to seeing me so time to find a different walk as I understand bears become very tied to their territory. He's only a yearling so about 150 - 200 pounds and has such a shiny black coat.

I went to a fashion show last night in support of the local community services umbrella society. My Executive Assistant was one of the models and my hair stylist arranged it all. I was blown away by the great fun that all the models had, and really glad that most of them were "normal" sizes instead of size -0. I think there really is a movement to recognize healthy weight and body shape.

I haven't lost or gained this month. Just bouncing around a couple of pounds. I'm going to just maintain over the summer and start losing again in the fall. Nice healthy eating and activities for summer, just what the doctor ordered!

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and I will check in again next weekend.
    Lila in the sunny, sunny, warm, above seasonal normal Kootenays, BC Canada.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug - it's so much nicer to do things with a group, at least I find it that way. Good job on the walk!

Gail - I certainly feel for you. Vince got an injection in his arm, and he was in so much pain after the injection that he kept saying that he would have preferred that someone cut his arm off. But then someone told him that the pain does go away, and it did. Hang in there.

katla - woohoo on the smaller sized pants.

cityjane - congrats on the pound lost, that's great. good luck to your dh. Yes, it is nice to change up your exercise. I can't do the same thing over and over, that's just me.

Linda - you go girl!!!

coldpony - welcome. I need to watch my salt intake, too, especially in summertime.

DeeDee - I actually took out a long sleeeved sweater today. And the paper says that it's supposed to be a bit colder tomorrow. Oh fun <not>. Have fun shopping and don't forget to buy me something real nice....lol

Jessica just checked and I'm not on Bryan's list of facebook friends. She said that sometimes facebook does that, drops friends for no reason. To me, the timing is just too convenient. I sincerely believe this is another way that Bryan is saying "I want nothing to do with you"

lizplus - prayers for your sister

I made chicken thighs for this week and some pork chops. I also made some ginger cookies to take to my hairdresser Monday and then made some fudge for Vince. I tried a new recipe. It says to let it cool, but when I went to cut it up, it was awfully crumbly so maybe I need to let it cool for a longer period of time. Tomorrow I'm hoping to make some biscuits to have and some baked ziti for Vince for this week. Then the cooking for the week is DONE, at least I think so.

Bryan was always the most mature and sensible of my kids, so what happened? I suspect he might have some of Vince in him. See, Vince is one of those people who feels that no matter what, he's right. Bryan seems to be that way, too -- he's right and everyone should agree with him. Well, he's making his bed. We did get a wedding announcement. Seems that they're renting a house for the weekend. So friends of theirs can go swimming, etc. I suspect it's not something for us to do. Somehow I'm not expecting her mother to be hospitable. Maybe it's that I don't want to get my expectations up and then have them crushed -- that hurts too much. So if I don't expect anything, if I get something then it's a bonus. He said that he's not having a traditional wedding registry (I didn't even know that they did that!) but if you would like to get them something, to let him know. I'm sure he wants money. I still say we should give them a certificate for tickets to the US which won't be used so we'll wind up saving that much money.

roeann - jump right on in. My deepest condolences to you

rosielko - welcome. Yes, by posting you can just go to "my topics" and this will be there. Remember, once the thread reaches 500 posts (and it almost always does), it gets locked out but there is a link at the bottom of the last post to a second part (and sometimes we even need a third part)

Janet - so glad to see you! All the ladies on here are very supportive. I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do

peachstategal - it is cold here in NC, too. This IS May, isn't it? I'm just afraid we're going to go from winter right into summer, no spring.

Brooke - awesome that you broke your plateau! One time I was saying something to myself and one of the kids said "ma, who are you talking to?" I just answered "the smartest person in the room". They didn't think that funny.....

rori - great goals. Unfortunately, I've written down my goal, same one for the last two months, and haven't even started on it. And it looks like I probably won't get to it this month, either. Oh well..... As far as the silken tofu in brownies, it honestly wasn't a special recipe. I did use a box mix (you know that I don't really like them, but thought that might be a good thing to try the tofu on since if it fails, I'll know that it's the tofu), it was the Ghardelli brownie mix and instead of the 1/4 cup of oil, I substituted 1/4 cup of silken tofu. That's IT. Baked it the same as the box and all. However, I did learn that even tho I sprayed the pan with nonstick spray, I probably should have used the Reynolds nonstick aluminum since they did stick somewhat. But then I realized it's probably because I didn't use any oil! Even Vince (the chocoholic) couldn't tell the difference. Well, tofu is bland and it takes on the flavor of what it's combined with. You could probably use it with any other brownie mix. How wonderful that you had to have your dress altered to fit you. Sure feels good, huh? Have fun in Hawaii. You know...you CAN take me with you, I have this amazing ability to fit into a suitcase....lol

cityjane - glad you got your electricity back. How I recall losing it. Interestingly, we haven't lost it for any length of time since moving to NC. That's probably because we brought our generator with us

Just made some baked ziti for later in the week for Vince. Of course, I had to try some. To me, I probably would have liked more spices but Vince likes his things bland so this'll work for him

Did an hour of yoga today. I have scheduled hula hoop for tomorrow. Someone mentioned another way to do it, now I just have to remember how that was. I remember it was interesting because it was something different, only CRS crept in

We had a hazardous waste recycling so we took our batteries and empty aerosol cans and a few other things. Then, when we got home, Vince was concerned that there might be high winds so we brought in the new chairs from by the pool. An umbrella came that we'd ordered, only it wasn't what we ordered. However, the colors will work so we'll probably keep it.

Lila - I don't think I'd be too happy about seeing a bear. My hat's off to you not minding it

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Since this is a place that we can feel free to be honest with ourselves and our wonderful Vit F friends here I need to get something off my chest.. With my MS I can no longer remember what my 'normal' was and that has been bothering me lately. I think this plateau has something to do with it. And when I read all the wonderful things you all are doing to be active and 'normal', it makes me so sad. I don't garden, couldn't if I wanted to. But of course my husband would mow it down if I did. If it gave him some veggies he liked he might make an effort to keep it but I just can't do it. As far as the wonderful landscaping I here you all talk about, I have no vision. I think I lost it somewhere through out the years. Maybe all this has to do with the fact that it was 15 years ago on May 15th that was my last day of work. I was in an exacerbation then that I was never able to get back to nursing. It was also a life changing even that I needed because God showed me I had my priorities screwed up but I still miss nursing.

Blue Joyce in Indiana
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I can't believe we are on page 8 already. I haven't had time to read the last 5 pages...hoping I can catch up with all the posts tomorrow.
    Just had some great news and some new learning I wanted to share.

My DH hit his goal this morning. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: He has lost almost 25 pounds on MFP and another 18 before that. He looks and feels great. So what does he decide he wants for celebrate his loss - a dinner out:sad: But we went to one of our favorite "special occasion" places that has lots of fish options. I had one of the best dinners in my life: miso glazed sea bass with sautéed red cabbage, brussel sprouts and sunflower seeds. For dessert we split and apple crostada.:drinker: I skipped the fresh baked bread.

We decided to walk off the meal in the mall and I got new gym shoes. Turns out I have low arches which is why the ball of my foot hurts so much. I got some aasics gels with arch supports that felt great. I'll try them out tomorrow, but I'm hopeful this will help.

I already posted this on my home page, but I happened by pure chance on an article about busting plateaus in Fitness magazine. I'm going to try their suggested approach and see if it works better for me (I've been on a plateau for a month now)...more water, more protein, de-stressing, reasonable exercise. It also had a calculator to figure out how many calories you need to maintain and to lose. Many of you had suggested I try upping my calories and this said to do the same. So starting now I'm targeting 1370 healthy calories a day. Their water consumption suggestion: 1/2 your body weight in oz. I really need to up my water :blushing:

I'm hopeful this may work. I drank a ton of water and tea today and I don't feel hungry in the least (nice change from always feeling like I'm starving).

Anyway, I hope to get caught up and respond to you all individually tomorrow.

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou:
    Congrats to all those with SV and NSV:drinker:
    Virtual hugs to all those struggling or suffering:heart:

Good night from a happy (and hopefully getting healthier) Jodios :smile: :laugh: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump to find where I left off tomorrow.
    Marcia, No. Va.
  • dovergopp
    dovergopp Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi ladies I would like to be apart of your group. I have just join MFP been logging for a week now I really like the site. I need to learn portion control, how to make a plan around my schedule to fit exercise in my day my work is doing a walking challenge the month of May I am up for it not sure about the other people on my team this scares me because that my be a down fall for me. Though as long as I participate and finish the challenge I will be in a drawing for a paid day off so I can use that as the carrot to chase. I also need to add more fresh fruits and veggie to my diet. So I guess those will be my goals for may. .
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

So enjoying my Saturday off. Went to the Y and took part in a water class. Really enjoyed it. My ankle has been hurting so I haven't been as active as I like. So just moving more freely felt good. Went on a Costco run able to stock up on lot of dry goods and meat.

@Joyce sorry you are struggling hang in there.
    @jodios -- Congrats to your DH.
    @Dee hope you had a fun shopping trip with your friend.
    @Roeann So sorry to learn about your husband

@LizPlus my thoughts are with you and your DS.
    @Cheryl I appreciate your openness.

Welcome to all the Newbies.

Liz from Idaho
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Liz - whatever does that mean? You should meet me in person - my life is truly an open book. My friends have said that I open my mouth and the words just fall out.

But if you mean how open I am about this weight journey let's not forget that I did not log my weight for almost a month.:tongue: It is sad that I did so good from August to December then nothing. From 156.7 to 161 to 158 to 160 to 158, back to 160 now 158.8. I think the real problem is that I am pretty content as a size 10, if I never got any smaller or larger I would be happy. I just think that I will still be a size 10 in 10 more pounds and be safely away from ever gaining enough to be a size 12. Right now a 5 pound gain would put me there again and geez, I've thrown away all my 12's and 14s so it just can't happen :wink:

Now I am off to bed and tomorrow I am going to find out how to keep naughty pictures from appearing on the right side of my computer (seriously, why is there a scantily clad woman sitting on a naked man's back???:noway: )