How do I not eat the junk if it's in the house?

Options

Replies

• amandajones1978
    Options
    Like what others have said, get your own "junk" food and maybe keep your parents/husband's junk food out of sight.

Also, willpower is a muscle, the more you use it the easier it becomes.

When I am craving something sweet, I have Outshine Edy fruit bars on hand. They hit the spot and are only 70 calories. That is my "I am craving ice cream!!!!" but dont want the after party guilt trip. :)

Good luck!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If it's there I can't control myself. I have to grab it and devour it.

How do I gain self-control?

(I live with my parents. They buy what they want for those of you saying throw it out. Lol. That's a no can doosey.)

When I lived with my parent's I found it easy to focus on healthy foods by people watching. I would see people out and about and notice what people were eating the food I thought was unhealthy. Realizing i didn't want to look like that helped me a lot. It gave me a mental image when faced with that food of that non appealing person eating it, (usually in a non appealing way).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    He is the head of the house, he says buy it, I buy it.

there's your problem

This. Are you married to a caveman?

And this is offensive. I am a good Christian woman, married to a good Christian man. We follow the guidelines set out in God's word. This has nothing to do with losing weight, or having willpower to not eat junk. You should more carefully choose your words before typing.

Sorry,,, I know this is derailing the OP thread... and I don't know a ton about religion

But I don't understand what following God's word and letting your husband order you around have to do with one another. These days, the man is not always the head of the household and these days a man definately is not right to be telling his wife wht to do. I don't understand religion so maybe I fail to know the part of the religion that states a woman is not an independant person and must follow what her husband says.

I'm not a religious person and neither is my husband. Even if we were, he would never be telling me what to do.

Okay you seem to really not understand so without taking a side, I am going to explain the basic understanding I have of this. It's akin to there only being one captain of a ship. Imagine if every decision were up to debate all the time by all the members, how would things run smoothly? So the man is the captain. However, he is not the captain all willy nilly. He is supposed to steer and guide that ship with the main focus being the well being of his wife and children and he is being guided by his higher power. Usually, this sounds extremely offensive to anyone who doesn't live their life by that guide because it sounds like free reign for men to make selfish, rash, and self-serving decisions. It's not supposed to be that way though, and if you know a man well enough and he is practicing his leadership with the right intentions and guidance, it should not feel like handing your life over to a maniac. It should be simply for the most part yielding the decisions for easier flow of daily life. The man is supposed to of course consult with her on her feelings and opinions and taking all things into consideration come up with good and sound plans. That is all. I'm not saying everyone does it this way. I'm not saying they don't. I'm just saying this is the basic premise and it doesn't have to be as bad as it would seem at first glance if all the parts of the plan are followed. The woman has a voice, she makes some decisions, she speaks up and is respected but at some point when push comes to shove and only one decision can be followed she yields to him. Most women, I know however know how to make it known when they are adamant and most men I know, know how to recognize those times and appreciate her for it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Stop buying junk.

Not the only person in my home....and I cannot enforce my way onto my husband. He is the head of the house, he says buy it, I buy it.

But I have such a difficult time walking past it...I am weak.

If you do everything your husband tells you to do, just have him tell you to not eat it.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Get your own "junk." 60 calorie chocolate pudding... that's my weakness. I get one a day. A couple sticks of licorice, a couple jolly ranchers, make your own popsicles... there are ways to get that junk "fix," without actually having to eat the junk!

I agree. For me it's easier, I do the buying and choosing of what comes in, but it was not always so easy. If you can walk past it in the store the times that you DO go shopping, then you can certainly walk past it when someone else brings it into the house.

For me the easiest thing was to create my own list of what I was allowing myself to have. It made it a little easier to keep away from other things that might find their way into my vicinity.

Try keeping some Fiber One bars around for treats (the 90 calorie brownies are good and they come in various flavors), or one of the big bars of Ghirardelli or Lindt dark chocolate - I eat one or two squares as a treat. I keep those big bars around all the time and have never been tempted to marf down the whole thing - it's all about training yourself away from (what I call) the "american" mindset of "oh look snacks I must eat it ALL marf marf marf ok all gone what's next MARF MARF". It is 100% doable once you realize that all that garbage is what got you onto this here website in the first place. Some days it's harder than others, I won't lie.

The thing is, opening a box of cookies and eating half the package is NOT normal.
    Going into the box of cookies and eating 2 or 3 and putting the rest away *IS* normal.
    We just don't think so because we do this thing where something is SOOOOO good that I can't possibly be expected to just eat 3... well um yes you can. 3 cookies is a reasonable amount of cookies to eat at one time. 15 is NOT.

There's no need to deny yourself treats or feel upset because they're in the house and you can't resist them. You don't have to resist them. But you don't have to wolf down the entire package either. Treats are just as enjoyable in normal, small amounts.
  • darrenkhalaf
    darrenkhalaf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    IF you don't want to eat junk food in the house then you can't overcome this difficulty in a day or so you need to practice day by day you will improve
  • sarahann513
    sarahann513 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You have to find your will power. Remember why you are doing what you're doing... picture yourself at your goal weight. Put a sticky note on the junk food that reminds you why you aren't eating it... whatever you have to do. But you should probably really have a talk with your family about the chance of them being more supportive.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If it's there I can't control myself. I have to grab it and devour it.

How do I gain self-control?

(I live with my parents. They buy what they want for those of you saying throw it out. Lol. That's a no can doosey.)

I have my son keep that sort of stuff in his room. My husband will hide it from me. AT MY REQUEST.

For some reason if I don't see it I don't think about it. Out of sight out of mind thing.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What I do is:

1. I try not to buy it in the first place
    2. If it needs to be bought but not for me, I try to get a flavor that I won't want and I ignore that its there.
    3. If it needs to be bought but not for me and I can't get it in a way that I wouldn't crave it, it goes out in the garage fridge. Out of sight, out of mind.

I have talked with my husband about why I just can't have certain things and being that he loves me & has my best interests at heart, he supports me. And he's the bread winner / head of the house (so to speak, although we consider ourselves equals).
  • readysetgo33
    readysetgo33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    haha this has been a big problem for me too! especially at work when we have presentations there is either a table full of coffee brownies cookies and more brownies and cookies or butt loads of pizza! shoot me now?

as someone mentioned earlier, don't be hungry, eat something that is substantial and that will BENEFIT YOUR BODY!
    think before you eat! look at what you are about to devour, and ask yourself what is in here and do i need it?
    if you are going to eat it and feel bad about it, just stay away from it! - if the junk food is just in your face all the time, maybe stash a lil baggie of grapes or carrots in your room focus on something else or go out for a walk!

I feel like a hypocrite making these recommendations, but I'm trying to follow them too. Each time you say "no" is a flippin success! Every good decision you make will add up and eventually be on your way to healthier lifestyle.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Post a picture of you at your worst - on each cabinet / fridge door that hoards the bad stuff or do the opposite if that won't work post a pic of you at your best...a goal to look forward to by avoiding the crap ;)
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you can afford to do this, buy your own selection of healthy foods, fruits, vegetables
    etc, store them in a separate plastic container in your fridge. Put your name on it
    and when the mood strikes, go for the ones just for you. And if you have healthy staples
    try keeping them in your room. Keeping things like salsa and veggie chips available for
    yourself would help you make a better choice when confronted with either the loaded with fat
    ones or yours, that will help you stay in control. Hope this idea helps, I've been in a similiar
    situation.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Let's leave religion out of this. It's the single most destructive and unneccessary idea we have ever invented to torment ourselves and others with.--My husband is NOT my boss, he is my equal. I DO NOT obey him, nor does he obey me. I find the traditional Judeo-Christian attitude mentioned above demeaning and extremely offensive. .Let's stick to health anfd fitness here.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options

there's your problem

All of this above...if he wants to eat junk let him BUY IT HIMSELF. and honestly? That goes for healthy food too, he should be buying groceries just as much as YOU ARE. Head of the household...pssh.

I agree that the husband is the head of the house. My husband who works hard, brings home his paycheck every week, respects me, keeps the yard up, fixes the leaky faucets and a lot more, deserves to have the food he wants in the house. If he wants the food, I will buy it, but I have to learn to resist it. It makes it easier if I keep it out of sight. A man can be head of the house and not be a tyrant. A wife can submit to her husband's leadership without being a weakling. It is all about mutual respect and consideration. I speak from 36 years of marriage experience.
  • feelinggreat140
    feelinggreat140 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I started SB program in 2008 I really had that problem also (sometimes I still do). I have one of those hubbys that can eat much of what I can't and not gain a pound...sigh. I finally started asking myself a question every time I was tempted to eat some of the foods that I really didn't really need. I just ask myself, "Will this look as good on me as it will taste? ( Most always the answer is a solid "NO"). Is it really worth the calories? What could I eat that would be a healthier alternative" Set your goals to become healthier and you will eventually get there. Now, I can turn down those foods and not feel deprived because I have come to value how my eating habits have changed for the better in the past few years. I am no saint but I do find myself making healthier choices. I have lost up to 60 pounds and now am hoping to lose my last 20 or so.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

there's your problem

She is married to Fred Flinstone..says so in her profile...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

there's your problem

I'm speaking from 42 years of a happy marriage; there is NO head of household. There are co-heads, with equal rights. There were times my husband made more money than I; then for the last 12 years before retirement I supported the household. I have just as much right to be "boss" as he does, if I liked the idea, which I do not. If we disagree, we work it out; I certainly do not automatically defer to him, or he to me. That idea has no place in a modern society.

All of this above...if he wants to eat junk let him BUY IT HIMSELF. and honestly? That goes for healthy food too, he should be buying groceries just as much as YOU ARE. Head of the household...pssh.

I agree that the husband is the head of the house. My husband who works hard, brings home his paycheck every week, respects me, keeps the yard up, fixes the leaky faucets and a lot more, deserves to have the food he wants in the house. If he wants the food, I will buy it, but I have to learn to resist it. It makes it easier if I keep it out of sight. A man can be head of the house and not be a tyrant. A wife can submit to her husband's leadership without being a weakling. It is all about mutual respect and consideration. I speak from 36 years of marriage experience.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

there's your problem

I'm speaking from 42 years of a happy marriage; there is NO head of household. There are co-heads, with equal rights. There were times my husband made more money than I; then for the last 12 years before retirement I supported the household. I have just as much right to be "boss" as he does, if I liked the idea, which I do not. If we disagree, we work it out; I certainly do not automatically defer to him, or he to me. That idea has no place in a modern society.

^^^ Smart Woman ^^^ -- My guess is a solid marriage.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    When you see someone who is attractive, how do you resist ripping their clothes off, throwing them to the ground and humping them? Assuming you are able to survive those situations intact, do the same with food.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Would never happen in my house. Everyone is an equal. I am truly sorry for you.

Just get willpower. Learn to satisfy the craving. If it's sweet eat some fruit or dark chocolate if it's salty eat a hard boiled egg or cucumber with salt on it.
    tumblr_lkxb2wGV4x1qh8hleo1_500.gif
    I kind of would laugh if a man "TOLD" me to do anything.