Triumphantly Dirty (Non-Clean) Eaters

Options

Replies

• Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    and let's not forget the TWINKIE DIET! :P

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

"Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, (..) on his "convenience store diet," (...) shed 27 pounds in two months.(..) he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned. (...) But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.
    Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent. "That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?" Despite his temporary success, Haub does not recommend replicating his snack-centric diet."

(but his deficit was probably higher that the numbers given in the cnn article and he did some exercises, see comments in here when he is participating in the discussion http://rajganpath.com/2010/11/08/the-prof-mark-haub-nonsense/, and not sure how it would affect him in the long run)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    NOT QUITE THERE YET BUT ITS A LOSS ANYWAY UNCLEAN EATING

beforeduringwrit_zpsb463864b.jpg

before_zps6ee4899a.jpg

during_zps55c7dd45.jpg
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I'm a work in progress rather than a success, but pics of difference on profile. Avi is how I like to roll food-wise. :smile:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I eat fairly healthy, lots of grilled chicken, fish, veggies, fruit, water. I rarely eat red meat (I was a vegetarian for 24 years and just can't get adjusted back to red meat; never liked it, never will). BUT I do eat lots of 'dirty' or 'bad' food: coffee creamer, white rice, chocolate, wine, potato chips, etc.

I aim to have a glass of wine daily and at least one small treat daily, like a candy bar. Pics in my profile, too lazy to post right now as I'm laying in the bed typing on my phone :happy:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Being a King I indulge in good food, wine and chocolate!! But not as often as I use to!!
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    This topic I relevant to my interests. I'm not interested in overly clean eating (my sweet tooth cannot be denied, or else heads are ripped off and butts are chewed out) but that's really all I see advocated around here.

IIFYM is actually a HUGE part of this site's membership.

(If It Fits Your Macros) For me, that means I eat 45% protein, 30& carbs, and 25% fats, and I try to keep them from more healthy sources, but if I end up hitting my protein and fat and have room for a shot of vodka, guess what? A shot of vodka it is.

I agree with above. I aim for high protein and fitting my macros. I do eat fairly clean because I like "clean" foods but I don't get crazy about it. I eat about 75% clean, maybe less. I almost ALWAYS have ice-cream in my day after a workout. I believe in this being my life not a diet. No one diets forever! I've gotten thinner and more toned and I am here to say pizza now a then and a beer or 2 (or 6) have always been on my "diet".
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I do not eat clean. IIFYM, or even if it doesn't, haha.

5SQciQc.png?1
    QrfsaDP.jpg?1
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm a dirty eater... however I do supplement since I have a crazy exercise routine. You can check out my diary... The only thing that would mistake me for a clean eater is just that I'm a vegetarian. Why? Because I hate the taste and smell of meat...
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think "clean" and "dirty" are unhelpful distinctions.

What is more helpful is too think of food which either

a) makes it harder to stay at a calorie deficit
    b) makes it easier to stay at a calorie deficit

What those foods are is personal to the individual. For some people having cakes or sweets or whatever actually makes it easier to stay in deficit as it alleviates feelings of restriction and prevents over eating, for others it may be completely different and they have to avoid those items completely.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy, but not "clean."

Me. In a nutshell.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to check out my profile pics. I am making an effort to lessen the processed foods that I eat but I work full time at a sports bar, so I eat wings regularly and am so busy that I eat frozen meals quite often. I definitely get all my veggies and water in but there's always wiggle room for me. I enjoy "clean" and healthy foods but with my lifestyle and budget that's not always an option. I eat cantina bowls from Taco Bell on the reg. I don't drink soda or use artificial sweeteners though (migraines). I feel like I've found a sane balance between clean eating and being practical. No offense but when I see a recipe for baked goods made solely from ripe bananas or "brownies" made from black beans, I cringe.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    426124c4-b52c-4ba5-9d3d-c736916fc1a6_zpsa311f6e4.jpg3f225c35-8342-4b08-b1a4-d0ef278d5318_zpse12287ac.jpg

117 Days or is it 118?. I don't eat "clean" as per other peoples standards.
  • christinevalentine
    christinevalentine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do not eat clean. I drink alcohol, eat ice cream and gelato regularly, and even (gasp) fast food sometimes.

Here's how I've changed eating dirty and lifting heavy:

RP55VQa.jpg?1

Wow you look amazing.. I would expect that you eat only salad rice and chicken breast with a body like that..
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary to see what a dirty eater I am! The weight loss has been slow. but steady with ups & downs along the way.....23lbs down since end of October 2012.

I eat at least TDEE-15% (1525) and net no less than BMR (1232).....this even allows me a bar of choccy most evenings (and even if it doesn't, I still have one anyway :laugh: )! Food is food.....if I want it, I eat it, so long as I stay (mostly) within my goals. End of.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    In...

...to read all of the "dirty eating" success stories of the mostly young people.

:flowerforyou:

Yep, I'm only 47 and I have only lost 33 lbs .
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't eat all clean. I try and grab veggies whenever I can but I'm at college and everything here is processed plus my favorite foods are teddy grahams, pizza (I swear we get Papa Johns at least every other week), chocolate, and mac and cheese. Eating at MFP's set for .5 lbs a week (just under 1700 cals for me), and usually eating very close to that, averaging about 50-100 under per day (over once or twice, and under between 100 and 250 on workout days) I lost at a pretty steady clip when I was trying to lose. It amounted to about 10 pounds in 3 and a half months which is about .7 lbs a week.

I'm not weighing now, eating at maintenance because I'm not working out due to a skateboarding injury and I suck at sticking to under a 1900 cal net when I don't exercise, but when I'm all healed up, I expect to have the same results.

Edited for strange sentence construction.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    In...

...to read all of the "dirty eating" success stories of the mostly young people.

:flowerforyou:

Yep, I'm only 47 and I have only lost 33 lbs .

Me too, I'm only 41 and I've only lost 86 pounds. Must be because I'm so 'young' :laugh:
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Fellow dirty eater here - 22 lbs. lost, and enjoying all my food!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!