What is the biggest unexpected surprise after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    I love being able to just step out of the bath after a shower without having to hold onto the sides. Also if I want to fetch something from upstairs when I am downstairs I just go and get it without thinking oh ****. I still have about 8 lbs to go to get into normal BMI, but today I looked in the mirror and saw the glimmer of two line dents either side of my stomach. Wow! Could this be the beginning of abs? !!
    I am 63 and have lost 40 lbs and yes, the woman who said she can open her own jars, I agree! :flowerforyou:
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    im halfway to the goal but what i´ve noticed is how i am always cold on my feet, and i still look in the mirrow and cant see that i´ve got smaller (i´ve lost 45 lbs) and that makes me soooo sad, but hopefully sometime i can see it.

Don't feel bad, I can't always see it either. This is where photos are your friend. :bigsmile:
  • marialydia
    marialydia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sleeping on my back and on my right side -- I wake up this way sometimes. Before I could not sleep on my back at all -- it seemed I'd wake up out of breath (sleep apnea, probably?) I needed to sleep either on the left, or on my stomach.

But not now -- all sorts of configurations seem possible. This is after a cumulative weight loss of 46 pounds, 27 of them since I joined MFP. A long way to go, but this is one encouraging surprise for me. Who knows what else awaits!
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    I have also lost a couple of strange neuroses. One is a phobia about music in restaurants and shops, which made me unable to share in normal social occasions. I still don't like it but it doesn't cause panic attacks. Also my 'earworms' have got much better. They used to go on all night and drove me mad. Who would have thought losing weight would lead to so many benefits. - it must be feeling good about yourself and somehow more in control of your world.
  • Pasukaru2
    Pasukaru2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I remember reading something similar, but I feel like I've gotten smaller (I mean regarding my height). I've never had any problem with that before, but now it's like I'm realizing I don't take as much space as I used to, and thus feel smaller :laugh: Oh well I'll deal with that :tongue: (I'm 5'9'' BTW)
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Extra skin!!! Thankfully, mine isn't saggy because I wasn't quite big enough or old enough yet for that to happen, but I lost 17 pounds and I still have a BUNCH of extra skin on my back and sides. It doesn't look gross but its kinda funny. My boyfriend says it dough like he's making a pizza hahahah
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've discovered this thread when I joined MFP in January. I waited to hit my goal weight before respoding and that happened today!!! :) (even thou I have more to lose :p)

- I've just now realized how fat I were. I was satisfied before with my body,,and I always thought I need to lose at most 10 pounds. I've lost 18 and I have more to go.
    - I don't know how to dress anymore. :p If I wear loose clothes like I wore before I look bigger that I am,,,but I don't feel comfortable in tighter clothes.
    - I don't see my weight loss on me. All my friends see it, but I just don't think it's that much of a difference.
    - I've realized that I will never get to wear some type of clothes that I was planning on wearing when I lose the weight. No matter how skinny I am some things just don't look flattering on my body type.
    - I never thought I would willingly work out 6 days a week, and that I will want to work out on my rest days.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. When I started I had in mind to get back to what I was when I met my husband 10 years ago. 161 lbs. When I got there I found I wanted to get down to healthy BMI. I am nearly there now. - 154 lbs. But I don't think that will satisfy me. The biggest surprise is how much I am enjoying exercise, weights and my healthy eating. I just want to keep going until I hit mid range of healthy.
    I too am struggling with clothes, but I am now living in my skinny jeans. I have thrown almost everything out as I never want to go back to my fat weight. It's a surprise how difficult I am finding it buying clothes. I need a new party dress for June and it's causing me a crisis! :laugh: When I was obese I just accepted the fact that I hated shopping for clothes and was just pleased if I could find something to fit that didn't look horrible. Now my standards have gone up so much I am picking fault with my body. - hate my arms, my knees etc. Who would have thought it! :noway:
    But really, I can't believe my new strength and fitness.
    By the way I am 63 and feel 33 ! :laugh: :blushing:
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. When I started I had in mind to get back to what I was when I met my husband 10 years ago. 161 lbs. When I got there I found I wanted to get down to healthy BMI. I am nearly there now. - 154 lbs. But I don't think that will satisfy me. The biggest surprise is how much I am enjoying exercise, weights and my healthy eating. I just want to keep going until I hit mid range of healthy.
    I too am struggling with clothes, but I am now living in my skinny jeans. I have thrown almost everything out as I never want to go back to my fat weight. It's a surprise how difficult I am finding it buying clothes. I need a new party dress for June and it's causing me a crisis! :laugh: When I was obese I just accepted the fact that I hated shopping for clothes and was just pleased if I could find something to fit that didn't look horrible. Now my standards have gone up so much I am picking fault with my body. - hate my arms, my knees etc. Who would have thought it! :noway:
    But really, I can't believe my new strength and fitness.
    By the way I am 63 and feel 33 ! :laugh: :blushing:

Awesome. I feel so young and vibrant again. I can totally understand your clothing anxt. However, just look back to where you used to be and where you are now. Don't hate your new body. Embrace it and learn to love it again. x
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprise is how I am treated differently by other people. You don't realize how much you're discriminated until you lose the weight.

i second this 100%!!!!

years ago, i lost 65 pounds, and saw this to be very true.

along these lines: when i lost that weight, and as i am losing now, i have this fierce loyalty to my old "fat self" and fat brothers and sisters around the world. as in, i become the only skinny girl who will tear someone a new *kitten*-hole if they make any jibes at fat people, or weight jokes, etc

as much as u enjoy thin priviledge once u experience it, it makes u greive all the more for all the size discrimination u endured, and that others endure.

Same here..sometimes my husband will make an off hand comment and I chew him out. He's like "what? it was funny! don't be so sensitive!" I just look at him and say " I can tell you've never had an issue with being fat or even overweight, or you would know better."
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The one thing I was not expecting was increased libido. Very much so. It's VERY sad and frustrating, but it won't stop me from following this program.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Today I hit my lower arm on a wall, & man did it hurt! Since losing weight I never realized how much fat I had lost on my arms.
  • singerinsing
    Options
    Hmmm, let's start with the negatives: I'm still having trouble getting rid of the little "pooch" in my middle section. And for some reason now that I've dropped over 43 pounds, I'm starting to get really bad hunger pains. Like, the food that I was eating sufficed for the longest time, but now I find myself more hungry. Good thing I have great will power!

I can't even list all of the positives, but I definitely notice that my clothes fit so much better. I used to be an XL in MEN'S clothing, but now I am a small and even the smalls are a little big on me. I've dropped two pants sizes. My self confidence has excelled so much, I look in the mirror now and don't even recognize myself. OH, and the biggest surprise of them all: I have very bad asthma, and back in February when I was big, I couldn't even run for five minutes without practically dying. But today I ran for a good ten minutes at work and didn't feel winded at all! It was such a shock, I couldn't even believe it. :D
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    My OH keeps dragging me off to the shops to buy me new clothes. He has never done that before. :smile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprise is how I am treated differently by other people. You don't realize how much you're discriminated until you lose the weight.

I'm all too aware. Sometimes I wish I could just be oblivious.
  • IMSOFEELINGMERIGHTNOW
    Options
    I too have the hangy skin thing on my stomach and I've been excercising my butt off more at the gym, but can't get rid of it. Im glad Im not the only one with this issue. Im so close to the goal ive set, but Ive been thinking about resetting it because of the hangy skin thing. I don't believe all the extra challenges there are with losing the weight. I'm going to keep on going because I've come to far to back down.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The dryer doesn't shrink my clothes anymore, it makes them bigger!
  • amycgrant
    amycgrant Posts: 5
    Options
    I have lost 40 pounds too and I'm always surprised by how much easier simple tasks are like crossing my legs, standing for long periods of time, or getting up and down quickly. I also sleep a lot more soundly I think.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    - confidence level BOOST! xD
    - lying down and being able to feel my hip bones and my ribs and a large crater in the middle. ALSO, collarbones<3
    - so cold. it gets so cold so easily now. D:
    - shopping. i used to not be able to fit in a lot of pretty clothes, and now i'm buying everything in sight. ... on hindsight, maybe not so good. xD
    - becoming obsessed with food, but not scared of it. i stil eat, but way more healthily
    - exercise. D: i've always hated sweating, and now i love the feeling of being bone tired and dropping to sleep after a harrowing workout. its the best feeling ever. <3

^this
  • seph1978
    seph1978 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have to replace my wardrobe, and it is costing me quite a pretty penny! :(
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!