4.5 mph is not walking, it's running for a petite female.

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ I mean in the regards to calorie burn...4.5 is a brisk walk for me...but calorie burn wise it is a conditioning issue more than it is a height issue...I won't burn as much running or walking at 4.5mph as i will at 8mph...my mother might burn more at 4.5mph than I do at 8mph due to our level of training with that specific activity. My husband is quite tall and when he trains even a little he can run faster than me in a half marathon...but as of right now 4.5 kicks his *kitten*....so calorie burn wise it has more to do with HR than speed and that is the OP's question as I understood it.

I read it the opposite. Gotta love the internet.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Um im barely 5'6" and 4.5mph is a power walk. Also, since when is 5'5" petite? I thought the word petite was for those tiny 5 foot tall ladies that I typically tower over in all my freakishly tall glory. Average height for a woman in this country is 5'4", so you are actually taller than average. I think its about agility. Its only a walk if you can move those muscles very rapidly.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    4.5 is running! lol I'm 5'
  • meggyshae
    meggyshae Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This is why I use a fitness watch to track my heart rate constantly to make sure it's in the goo burning zone and to also monitor exactly how many caloires I am burning each day. MFP is just an average guestimate...it's not accurate
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Running is a gait, not a speed

Yes...!

My first 'introduction' to the relative difference in speeds, in the context of walking and running, and firsthand experience in witnessing just how remarkably different the associated speeds could be (let alone the 'effort') when someone who was walking was outpacing the heck out of someone who was running, goes all the way back to when I was a small child. In certain environments, my dad would suddenly begin walking very fast, as a 'joke' of sorts, given that my close-in-age sibling and I would then suddenly burst into running, to try and catch up to him -- and he found it comical and entertaining to see us 'bolt' in such a fashion, to try and keep up with him... ;) (he'd keep looking back over his shoulder, to see where we were... and when we did catch up to him (only because he'd ultimately stop ;) ), we'd tend to each 'hug' one of his legs, as though it were the trunk of a tree -- and as though either of us had the strength to 'keep him still'... (this seemed to then be a spontaneous 'cue' for him to try and alternately 'lift' each leg while a munchkin was still 'attached'... lol ;) )).
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    4.5 mph is still 4.5 mph whether you walk or run it you will be burning the same amount of calories.

For someone who can walk 4.5 mph, that generally means their heart rate doesn't get very high and as such less calories are burned.

For someone who runs at 4.5 mph, their heart rate should be higher than the person who was walking and as such should burn slightly more calories.
    But someone who is taller is also likely heavier and is moving more weight at the same velocity.
  • chelseasunrise
    Options
    I don't go by MFP any more my calories are always way different to what is stated. I use my Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. I find it so much easier to not have to worry about the difference. I'm 5'3 btw.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I think maybe it has more to do with leg length than height. I am 5'3" but I have shorter legs and a longer torso...and 4.5mph is a full on jog for me. 5.0 to 5.5 is a run, and 6.0 is a freakin' SPRINT. My happy pace is about 4.3 to 4.5. :)
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'4 and have been jogging between 4.5 and 4.8 for the last few weeks. it really feels like a decent jog to me but when logging it i always get sad that i have to classify it as walking. and then when i mention to people that i've been running i always feel the need to discount it to "well its really at a fast walking pace".

i'm happy now. i worked hard to get up to this point!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Um im barely 5'6" and 4.5mph is a power walk. Also, since when is 5'5" petite? I thought the word petite was for those tiny 5 foot tall ladies that I typically tower over in all my freakishly tall glory. Average height for a woman in this country is 5'4", so you are actually taller than average. I think its about agility. Its only a walk if you can move those muscles very rapidly.
    I'm 5'5" and don't consider myself to be "petite." I responded because the OP said that 4.5mph would be a fast walk for someone who was 6 foot or taller. I am a far cry from 6' and 4.5 mph is not jogging/running for me. It's not even really a "power walk." It's just me walking really fast. I have a long stride.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Speak for yourself! I'm only 5'2" and anything less than 5mph is walking for me. I run at 10mph.

Me too. I'm 5'3 and my normal walk is about 3.5-4.0, and light jogging is 5.0-5.5. Running is 6.0-infinity :P

Usually run at about 6, unless doing HIIT. Then I run anywhere from 6-9.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    I would disagree. I'm 5'4", 122 lbs and running at 4.5 feels like I'm barely moving. I'd rather walk at 4.5 than try to run, it hurts to run that slow. I run at anywhere from 5.5-6.5mph.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I run / jog at 4.5 and try to get up to 5 to cut down on my mile time. Theres no way I could walk that fast. My fast walking is 3.5 max right now.

Edited to add: I use runtastic and I think it automatically logs it on here as a run / jog.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    One foot on the ground during the stride = walking

Two feet off the ground during the stride = running

Speed is irrelevant to the definition. There is no set speed where "walking" becomes "running".

Finally someone pointing the fundamental difference!

Everyone can have a different speed, but they are two different types of movement.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think height has little to do with it. I'm 5'3. When I started running, I ran between 5 and 5.5 on the mill and it was hard. Now, the only way I'd be able to run at 5mph on the mill is if I set the incline to a 3 or a 4, or it's completely unnatural, I walk at 5 mph now. For short runs, 3-6 miles, I average 6.7 - 7mph. Long runs 10-13 miles I dial it back down to 6mph. But this is because I've been running a couple of years now and I average between 20-25 miles a week. I didn't get faster until I started running over 15 miles per week and increased my number of days from 3 to 4. And my legs are still the same length.
  • RavenWolf1977
    RavenWolf1977 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    5"2' here and that is running for me as well!

You are right, height/leg length and such should be taken into consideration.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ... I'm 5'10" and 4.6 is DEFINITELY running for me...

Me, too... I was starting to feel inadequate reading about all these shorties who laugh off anything under 6 mph. Maybe you guys can go faster because you're littler. Plus you have a lower center of gravity and therefore greater stability and resistance to falling. These are all of my bullsh*t theories to justify why I can't run faster (yet) without killing myself.

where are you measuring? i find i run faster off the treadmill than on because i have a tendency to shorten my stride on the treadmill whereas i can use my normal stride outdoors. outdoors my natural jog speed is around 6 mph which doesn't feel fast until i'm on the treadmill.
  • Jme2209
    Jme2209 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a 5'9 woman and a 4.5 on a treadmill is a light jog for me!
  • craigjmorton
    craigjmorton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    well...i am 6'2 and when i am out there dying while running, MFP gives me a very snarky "walking, very very brisk pace".

So I would advise not to worry too much about what MFP says. That is my biggest criticism about MFP, their exercise section leaves a lot to be desired but their food log section is really good. So i usually log all my food here and visit RunKeeper/Endomondo/Runtastic for logging my exercise.
  • choicewords
    choicewords Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11, fat and 58 years old. 2.5 is a brisk walk for me. Anything faster is nearly impossible. But with such short legs (more strides to walk 2.5 mph) and increased weight wouldn't I burn off more than the standard charts indicate? If my taller younger friend is taking a stroll and I'm working it...?