what do you consider cheating?

Options

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Having sex with anybody other than my husband. Anything else is just making poor food choices.

that is actually what i was thinking this thread was about....good thing i like to make good food choices.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything as cheating.

I also don't count certain foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy", "good" or "bad".

If it fits into my cals and macros for the day, I eat it.

If I want to eat more on a certain day, I do. I'm not cheating anything, I'm living my life and enjoying it.

THIS !!!!
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting works for me, and so does having the odd treat. I try to eat three decent meals and treats are on top if they fit into my allowance.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Nothing.

I log everything, so if it's a bad day, I see it and feel guilty and that's my reminder to work harder.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Having sex with anybody other than my husband. Anything else is just making poor food choices.

Yup
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    I consider it cheating when it is a processed food, or fast food, sweet, or chips... Anything "junk" related with little nutritional value, or something that may have nv, but has too much sodium, sugar or way high in calories.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Cheating = lying about what I ate, not logging it. Never cheat!
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options

^
  • foot56
    foot56 Posts: 44
    Options
    I dont do cheat days
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options

If I want to eat more on a certain day, I do. I'm not cheating anything, I'm living my life and enjoying it.

I take "no count" days. I don't count or record here (the streak doesn't matter all that much to me). I don't call it cheating, because I'm not hiding it, hurting anyone (myself) and this is the agreement I made with myself when I started a year ago. Watching what/how much I eat most of the time with occasional no count days is something I can maintain for life.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheating. I eat what I eat and compensate if I am too far past my daily/weekly goals.

This is me too... I found when I gave myself "cheat" days I went waaaay overboard simply because I had denied myself everything. Now IIFYM I'm happy. I don't eat fast food everyday because I would view that as just simply unhealthy, I'm all about moderation now, I no longer have a specific day where I'm allowed to have it, if I am hungry, and for whatever reason that is what I chose to eat the less than stellar food choice I simply make sure it fits my daily/weekly goals.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    No cheating for me. I either stay below my calorie count for the day or not. If not, I make sure I know why and try to do better the next day. I do not beat myself up.
  • lvsglass
    lvsglass Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Ditto!!
  • lvsglass
    lvsglass Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Too funny! :laugh:
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Do you only count cheating as going over your calorie goal?
    Or do you count eating something that isn't healthy for you cheating?

Anything that keeps me from the very specific goal I'm chasing after, i.e. getting leaner. My calorie goals vary and change with weight and different dieting strategies. I'm not sure what you mean by "healthy eating". If you mean eating less processed food realize that all of your food, even the apples are processed. Granted some have less chemicals, genetic modification, preservatives, etc. than others and then there are specific food allergies that people have, even to "healthy food" so it's not clear cut.

In summary, I try not to be too dogmatic with the actual food itself but I'm very rigid about the specific structure, macro nutrient content and timing of the meals in my diet. That last part is relevant to enhancing workout performance and recovery. You'd be surprised at what you can eat once you're over the whole "clean, healthy food" fixation. I hear people are having their cake and eating it too these days.
  • ebarb74
    ebarb74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I suppose the term "Cheat Day" refers to a day when you "Cheat on Your Diet" -- well, there it is, not counting calories for that day would be a cheat day therefore, cheating would be not counting calories. I dont like cheat days! They lead to more food affairs. One cheat turns into another and before you know it your running around town with all types of burgers and shakes! Then justifying it calling it my "Cheat Day!" I suggest eat what you want when you want but count the calories so you don't get caught up!
  • sittingontopoftheworld
    Options

:laugh:

This is totally true. You still gave me a laugh, however.
  • PrajnaFaux
    PrajnaFaux Posts: 45
    Options
    I've been on several programs that encouraged a "cheat meal" or "cheat day", and I won't do it anymore. It made me feel like I was being punished while eating on-plan and then I'd go overboard for that one meal - like I'd never get to eat anything yummy again. I'm sure it works for some people, but for me (with my starvation/binge issues) it just didn't help. Once I got to my target weight it was like, "I'm FREE!!!" and ate like it was my birthday every day, gaining it all back fairly quickly.

I am finally breaking that cycle with a combination of recovery work and MFP. I do stay away from sugar, just because it makes me emotionally unstable. I eat all kinds of food as long as it fits in my daily plan. I did have one day where we were going out to a restaurant and I decided to get whatever I wanted since none of the options were very healthy except the salads. I thought, What kind of date is this if I have to eat a salad while my husband is having biscuits and ribs? Anyway, after looking over the whole menu I decided on a Grilled Chicken Salad - just because it looked really good to me! So my tastes are changing, which is good.
  • jourdanerin
    jourdanerin Posts: 69
    Options
    I've been on several programs that encouraged a "cheat meal" or "cheat day", and I won't do it anymore. It made me feel like I was being punished while eating on-plan and then I'd go overboard for that one meal - like I'd never get to eat anything yummy again. I'm sure it works for some people, but for me (with my starvation/binge issues) it just didn't help. Once I got to my target weight it was like, "I'm FREE!!!" and ate like it was my birthday every day, gaining it all back fairly quickly.

I am finally breaking that cycle with a combination of recovery work and MFP. I do stay away from sugar, just because it makes me emotionally unstable. I eat all kinds of food as long as it fits in my daily plan. I did have one day where we were going out to a restaurant and I decided to get whatever I wanted since none of the options were very healthy except the salads. I thought, What kind of date is this if I have to eat a salad while my husband is having biscuits and ribs? Anyway, after looking over the whole menu I decided on a Grilled Chicken Salad - just because it looked really good to me! So my tastes are changing, which is good.

Thank you for your helpful response. I too find it difficult to recover from a "cheat day" and find myself binging for the next few days. I've started trying to eat mostly healthy but eating what I really want as long as I can fit it into my calories.
  • jourdanerin
    jourdanerin Posts: 69
    Options
    I don't disagree, except maybe about no foods being deemed "unhealthy". There are definitely some unhealthy foods out there, doesn't mean I don't eat them occasionally.

I was just curious because everyone talks about having a "cheat day" or "cheat meal".

Can you give me some examples as to what unhealthy foods you're referring to and why they are unhealthy?

Unhealthy foods are anything that has little to no nutritional value. "empty calories"

Junk food - chips, French Fries, baked goods in general, ice cream, etc etc

These things are unhealthy because deep frying a potato pretty much negates any nutritional value it once had. The sugar content in ice cream negates any nutritional value it might have had.... etc etc.