Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I actually have the lab slip from my doctor to go for the Promethius genetic test. Insurance doens't cover it, so I have been procrastinating big time :ohwell: I really do need to go get it done, though.

Birthday/Xmas/Hannukah/Anniversary/Graduation gift?

I really have a hard time thinking they are the only people who can do this. There are a lot of researchers out there who work on this stuff, get yourself enrolled in a study and get the testing done for free. Stanford has a thing on work they are doing. It's just a genetic test. The Promethius stuff is CLIA certified so it could go on your clinical record, but the research testing would be using the same techniques, and possibly newer ones. :)

See if this helps:
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/search/open/condition="Celiac+Disease"
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been not reading so have some catching up to do, but wanted to comment on the baby undergoing testing for celiacs. Just wanted to chime in that my son and daughter have both been tested and tests were negative, but we went gf with them anyway because it was helping with all their symptoms. They are both on the growth charts now and growing at a steady rate, though still small. Their bowels are much better also, and they sleep much better than before also. It has been over a year for them both, so my daughter was 2 when we started and my son 9 months old. If they get some gluten, boy do we know! My son had a couple bites of regular spaghetti a few months ago and was within minutes acting like he'd been given heavy drugs, lethargic, very wobbly, goofy and giggly (okay in itself, but horrible when it's for the wrong reason) and that night I had to have him sleep with me because he was up screaming every few minutes. He got terrible diarrhea for days, and even some cold like symptoms. When I told his pediatrician what had happened, he said that he's definitely severely gluten intolerant even though the celiac tests were negative, and to keep him off gluten. My daughter has severe behavior and bowel problems when she gets gluten also, and sometimes throws up a little, but she has only had tiny amounts, like crumbs, of gluten when this happens. So, even if the tests come back and say that's not it, I would recommend trying the diet for awhile anyway and see how things go after awhile.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As for the play dough, I don't know that it's so much a problem of kids eating it, but I've never seen a kid play with it without getting it under their nails at the least. That alone would make it problematic for kids who have severe reactions, because then they eat with their hands later and there is a high risk of getting it in their food. Hence, the need for gluten free play dough. Although, I've seen the stuff that my son sticks in his mouth, he's almost 2, and I'm willing to bet that he'd want to know what that stuff feels like to chew on ;) My mom used to make homemade stuff too, and I've seen pictures of me at around 2-3 putting the stuff in my mouth, don't remember it, but I've seen the proof. Ick.

Udi's bread, my favorite! I had been baking several loaves of bread a week before we found and tried it. I have to drive clear across the city to get it, but at least I can get a bunch and stick them in the freezer. We also love the bagels. I hate the price though, of all the gf breads, so we don't eat it like we'd like to, lol.
  • kevmagashmom
    kevmagashmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I missed the stuff on the play dough, but we have soyerdough and my kids love it!! I just saw an add for another type of allergy/gluten free dough for kids, but it was pretty expensive. My 3 yr old loved hearing on the add that it was gluten free. She was yelling, " Mom it said it gooten fwee, gooten fwee!!!!". I agree with auntbliz...all my daughter's tests were negative, but you can tell when she has gluten. So, we've kept her GF even without the diagnosis. And, everyone supports this, which was sort of surprising.
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    VENT Mad at myself!!! Geeeez- I Glutened myself today and I am paid for it. I bought my kids a jerky stick today when I got gas and was hungry so I got one for myself...opened it...at it and within 30 minutes my stomach was cramping like it used to before i went gf. I grabbed the wrapper and looked..behold it contained wheat. Not a bad episode but the crampy feeling was not fun. I have checked everything for long enough to know to look. The good side...I know what will happen when I think, "just a little gluten won't kill me"...makes it easier to let those cravings pass.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    heartnsoul- I hear ya! We went to the grocery store to get a quick dinner. Grabbed baked chicken at the deli, tub of tater salad and coleslaw. Yup! Both the coleslaw and potato salad had wheat in them. Publix's brand is wheat free (or at least I don't recall seeing it on the list), but apparently Kroger's isn't. Explained why I didn't sleep well Monday night. I don't understand why in the world they had the need to add it in there. Gratuitous wheating abounds! Hope you feel better.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    http://www.liveglutenfreely.com/

If any of you haven't seen this website they have recipes and such. A newsletter you can sign up for, etc. I had stumbled on it when I was hunting for the Bisquick last week. Yes, it's General Mills based, but still might have some good stuff for you.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I've mentioned it before, but www.glutenfreeregistry.com is an amazing resource for gluten free restaurants all over the country... check it out if you haven't already :flowerforyou:
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    I've mentioned it before, but www.glutenfreeregistry.com is an amazing resource for gluten free restaurants all over the country... check it out if you haven't already :flowerforyou:

I use it and agree it is great! Try sitting down on a rainy Sunday afternoon and visiting food sites and jotting down gf foods for various resturants you may visit. If the resturant is not on the website, visit the resturant site and looking within, what they offer gf is there, WHen I go out and I haven'tplanned for it, I pull out my little notepad and I am safe. I also joy down the calories for the food.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Ok, so it's official. Despite all my denial, I am definitely gluten intolerant!!!!

My parents helped us move 2 days ago and we went out to dinner at a Lebanese restaurant. It had been weeks since i had any gluten beyond what was in some fried chicken a few weeks back, and I'd eaten gluten ease with it and did fine. So I started to wonder if the gluten thing was in my head. So the devil on my shoulder convinces me to scarf a chicken shawarma pita sandwich! :noway: It was delicious, though :tongue:

I woke up the next morning so tired I felt drugged, my stomach looked like I was 4 months pregnant and was painful and gassy. The day before I was 1 pound short of my goal weight, but I gained 5 lbs overnight!!! I was so tired all day I kept falling asleep. So far I have only lost 4 of those pounds, my abs are still not as defined, and I'm still sleepier usual. The worst part is, all I want to do is eat, especially things with gluten in them :frown:

So never again! :explode:
  • kevmagashmom
    kevmagashmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @cutmd--I kept going back over a month and a half and trying to eat it. Started GF on Dec. 15th. By end of Jan. I did not have any problem leaving all the yummy gluten foods behind. I think you have to eat it and see the consequences to make the decision to not eat it. It is really easy to watch my friends and family eat the breaded foods, bread, pizza and such now that I know what it's going to do to me. Good luck!! Hope you feel better soon. Unfortunately, it usually takes my daughter and I about 5-7 days!!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone - I'm gluten free (CD) and in Canada!

Things here are a bit different - things that are labelled there aren't here (Crystal Light, etc), so that sucks. But we're starting to catch up - Betty Crocker doesn't sell here, but a friend brought me some home that was pretty good (I think I still prefer Glutino though).

I found out in spring 2009, and found the adjustment really hard in the beginning. I would allow myself cheat meals (hello pizza! burgers!) but with each exposure my reactions got worse and worse, until it was simply unsafe for me to risk it. When I am exposed to minute amounts, I feel it within in minutes, because my stomach starts to cramp in a very specific way.

I was wondering - does anyone know of a decent burger bun? I'm dying to have a hamburger!
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Hey everyone - I'm gluten free (CD) and in Canada!

Things here are a bit different - things that are labelled there aren't here (Crystal Light, etc), so that sucks. But we're starting to catch up - Betty Crocker doesn't sell here, but a friend brought me some home that was pretty good (I think I still prefer Glutino though).

I found out in spring 2009, and found the adjustment really hard in the beginning. I would allow myself cheat meals (hello pizza! burgers!) but with each exposure my reactions got worse and worse, until it was simply unsafe for me to risk it. When I am exposed to minute amounts, I feel it within in minutes, because my stomach starts to cramp in a very specific way.

I was wondering - does anyone know of a decent burger bun? I'm dying to have a hamburger!

The Schar brand makes a white bun that is the best I've found for burgers. I slice them open and toast them on the grill first. But they make good garlic bread too. Saw that Ener-g makes some from brown rice. I haven't tried them yet, but the brown rice bread from them was really good, so I's assume the same for the buns.
  • cutmd
    Options
    @cutmd--I kept going back over a month and a half and trying to eat it. Started GF on Dec. 15th. By end of Jan. I did not have any problem leaving all the yummy gluten foods behind. I think you have to eat it and see the consequences to make the decision to not eat it. It is really easy to watch my friends and family eat the breaded foods, bread, pizza and such now that I know what it's going to do to me. Good luck!! Hope you feel better soon. Unfortunately, it usually takes my daughter and I about 5-7 days!!

Thanks, sometimes I feel like the only loser with no self-control. Yeah, the recovery period is like a week for me as well. My stomach still feels gross and the cravings are still bad. I seem to really hit a sweet spot about 3-4 weeks out from gluten, but then I feel great and get cocky!!! So hardheaded! :grumble:

I need a gluten free ticker for motivation. Anyone have one? I was watching my coworkers eat donuts and bagels this am with more than a hint of jealousy. I need some gluten free cupcakes or donuts or something. Any suggestions for something I don''t have to bake?

jalara, I like to make hamburger's with my Udi's sandwich bread :flowerforyou:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I need some gluten free cupcakes or donuts or something. Any suggestions for something I don''t have to bake?

I can't remember the brand now, but on Thanksgiving last year I bought some frozen donuts that were AMAZING! :love: I'm not sure where you're located, but I live in Connecticut and they have them at our local grocery store. If I remember correctly, they are a "regular", fairly common gluten-free brand. So, check the frozen section at your grocery store. The ones I had were cinnamon sugar donuts and SO good. I believe they also make a vanilla flavor as well.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    cutmd- I'm the same way with cheating. It's stupid pizza! I love New York style pizza and the gf crusts just don't hit that craving. There's some brand in a red box that's frozen - they're good! Just not the style of pizza that I love. You'd think that since I know it'll make me feel bad and unable to sleep that I'd be able to refuse it, but I can't. Like when I was thinking I was lactose intolerant (which I now think was misplaced gluten issues), I'd plan out my day around being able to have ice cream. Guess those are my food issues shining through! With everything else, it takes time to really get inline. Hopefully sooner, rather than later, us cheaters can keep ourselves in line. It does nothing but hurt us.

And about the bagels, etc. I got the Van's Blueberry waffles, pretty good. They're really sweet though, so I only eat one. They're frozen so you'd just have to pop em in the toaster at work.

Lastly, the gf Biquick totally works! Consistency of the batter is funny, but it turns out fine. I tossed in some fresh blueberries from the farmer's market in some of them; both versions were great. Put a little local honey on them, scrambled a couple local free range eggs and my Saturday brunch was awesome! :) Didn't feel like I was missing out.
  • cutmd
    Options
    Thanks, TK, nice to have someone to commiserate with.

Anyone want to peek at my diary for yesterday? My belly is bloated and hurting and I gained weight again. Have I been glutenized? Was it just the popcorn? :frown:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    cutmd-- its probably the popcorn. That sodium count is totally off. Plus, you never know if it has come into contact with crumbs from pretzels, hot dog buns, etc. I actually take my own popcorn and snacks. My doctor even wrote me a note that I can show if told I can't take them in, stating that I have allergies and must have my own safe food.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Thanks, TK, nice to have someone to commiserate with.

Anyone want to peek at my diary for yesterday? My belly is bloated and hurting and I gained weight again. Have I been glutenized? Was it just the popcorn? :frown:

when you go out you have to be careful. Things hide in places you may not expect - like the potato salad and coleslaw from Kroger, in my case. And you never know what may have been around when something is made. For some people, just the same fryer for gf and regular products can cause issues.

And like Holly said, sodium is a bugger!
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    Anyone willing to ship gf Bisquick to me? I used regular Bisquick all the time before and it is so slow getting to my little corner of the world. Pancakes, biscuits, shortcake, casserole topper, sausage balls...must I go on at what I know I could have if only I had the bisquick!!!! Who does seem to have it?