Your results from the TDEE/BMR method?

Options

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    So if I set my activity level at sedentary I should eat back my exercise calories? I find that part confusing for some reason, when to or when NOT to eat back exercise calories.

If you are using the MFP method, then you should eat back your exercise calories no matter what activity level you set - because MFP assumes you will eat them back and they are NOT included. (the MFP activity level is only based on regular daily activity, not exercise).

If you are using the TDEE method, then your exercise calories are included in the activity level you choose, unless you choose sedentary. So for anything other than sedentary, you would not eat them back (since you are already eating them). For sedentary, you would eat them back, because you are burning more calories than your calculated TDEE number includes.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    So if I set my activity level at sedentary I should eat back my exercise calories? I find that part confusing for some reason, when to or when NOT to eat back exercise calories.

If you are using the MFP method, then you should eat back your exercise calories no matter what activity level you set - because MFP assumes you will eat them back and they are NOT included. (the MFP activity level is only based on regular daily activity, not exercise).

If you are using the TDEE method, then your exercise calories are included in the activity level you choose, unless you choose sedentary. So for anything other than sedentary, you would not eat them back (since you are already eating them). For sedentary, you would eat them back, because you are burning more calories than your calculated TDEE number includes.

I follow this method for the most part, and I've had decent success so far (down just shy of 16 pounds in 12 weeks). The only difference is I concentrate more on average calories for the week, meaning that I calculated both my TDEE-20% based on sedentary and lightly active. I multiplied both numbers by 7 to get my weekly net calorie goal, and I try to stay between those numbers over the course of the week. I currently work out 3-4 days per week. Instead of eating back calories on workout days, I've found it easier to just stick to the 1625-1860 daily goal and the 11375-13020 weekly goal. That way, if I have a "bad" day, it balances out on another day. I have MFP set at the low number. I got all my figures from the fat to fit radio calculators recommended by the In Place of a Roadmap threads.

My stats:
    Female
    Ht: 5'3
    SW: 225 lbs (started on 2/18/13)
    CW: 209.4 lbs
    BF%: 38 (averaging the 3 BF calculations from the site and rounding up)
    BMR: 1646 Katch McCardle, 1693 Harris Benedict
    TDEE sedentary: 2032, -20% = 1625, x 7 = 11,375 net weekly goal
    TDEE lightly active: 2328, -20% = 1860, x 7 = 13,020 net weekly goal
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My results: Fat loss, without starving. Win/Win
  • CM9178
    Options

I follow this method for the most part, and I've had decent success so far (down just shy of 16 pounds in 12 weeks). The only difference is I concentrate more on average calories for the week, meaning that I calculated both my TDEE-20% based on sedentary and lightly active. I multiplied both numbers by 7 to get my weekly net calorie goal, and I try to stay between those numbers over the course of the week. I currently work out 3-4 days per week. Instead of eating back calories on workout days, I've found it easier to just stick to the 1625-1860 daily goal and the 11375-13020 weekly goal. That way, if I have a "bad" day, it balances out on another day. I have MFP set at the low number. I got all my figures from the fat to fit radio calculators recommended by the In Place of a Roadmap threads.

My stats:
    Female
    Ht: 5'3
    SW: 225 lbs (started on 2/18/13)
    CW: 209.4 lbs
    BF%: 38 (averaging the 3 BF calculations from the site and rounding up)
    BMR: 1646 Katch McCardle, 1693 Harris Benedict
    TDEE sedentary: 2032, -20% = 1625, x 7 = 11,375 net weekly goal
    TDEE lightly active: 2328, -20% = 1860, x 7 = 13,020 net weekly goal

This is a great idea. I've been struggling with trying to accurately determine my activity level, because I am probably less sedentary than I think I am. I will try to calculate the range instead! Thanks!!
  • decreasing_me
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised when I changed over from 1200 calories to 1500. That is about 75% of my TDEE. I started losing the weight from the first day. It's been about a week...this morning I got a new number!! (BC, I had actually started GAINING on 1200)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Male
    6ft

my BMR using the Katch-McArdle formula says it is 1967 calories
    my BMR using a HRM says it is about 1920

Using my HRM for 24 hours my normal everyday burning (monday through friday work day) says i burned 2833 calories (average 118 cals burned) . I also burned an additional 500 cals from 1 hour of cardio but subtracted that from my total and used my averages to replace that which I burned

since i suck at math i have the blue train gets there 8 minutes early and the red train is 18.3 minutes late

So in total my TDEE is 3475 (1920*1.81)
    my TDEG is 2755 (TDEE at a 20.7 deficit)
    with my average Daily Deficit being 719

I figure 6 days a week i do cardio that is an additional 3000 cals

So in essence i should start losing 2lbs a week, if my math is correct.

does anyone see this differently?
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Great thread...more people should read these success stories. Too many people on here eat too little and wonder why they stop losing.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Male
    6ft

Using my HRM for 24 hours my normal everyday burning (monday through friday work day) says i burned 2833 calories (average 118 cals burned) . I also burned an additional 500 cals from 1 hour of cardio but subtracted that from my total and used my averages to replace that which I burned

since i suck at math i have the blue train gets there 8 minutes early and the red train is 18.3 minutes late

I could be wrong, but if the HRM said you burned 2833, wouldn't that be your actual TDEE?
  • keithf1138
    keithf1138 Posts: 63
    Options
    Male
    6ft

The way I understand BMR/TDEE/TDEG is that when you do the calculations you make an honest assessment of how many hours per week you workout/do something very active. When you do that the TDEE already has your 3000 calories from cardio. Not sure which calculator you used, but if you didnt include your workouts in it you will want to re-calculate with the cardio included.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Male
    6ft

The way I understand BMR/TDEE/TDEG is that when you do the calculations you make an honest assessment of how many hours per week you workout/do something very active. When you do that the TDEE already has your 3000 calories from cardio. Not sure which calculator you used, but if you didnt include your workouts in it you will want to re-calculate with the cardio included.
    It doesn't appear he used any calculator, just based his TDEE on his BMR. But if the HRM said he burned X amount of calories per day, then isn't that his TDEE?
    Or as you said, use the calculators to include your activity, and those calories will be included in the number.
  • crystald911
    crystald911 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • jrmommy23
    jrmommy23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 40lbs10mos
    40lbs10mos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options

It doesn't appear he used any calculator, just based his TDEE on his BMR. But if the HRM said he burned X amount of calories per day, then isn't that his TDEE?
    Or as you said, use the calculators to include your activity, and those calories will be included in the number.

Looking over my notes, from 11:15pm last night until 5:35am this morning i burned 638 calories. i had gotten 6.25 hours of sleep. so you figure my bmr (the amount of calories i would burn if i laid in bed all day would be 24* 102(638/6.25)

what it should be according to calculations that bales
    so my BMR is approx 2449
    my TDEE is my BMR *2.03 (i do about 8 hours of cardio + 2.25 hours of lifting) = 4971
    my TDEG should then be 3970
    my average daily deficit would then be 1000 calories or 2lbs a week

does that not seem high to anyone else?
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    Ok, so can someone help me and make sure I am calculating correctly? If I set it to lightly active and my BMR is 1413 & my TDEE is 1943, I multiply .20 x 1943 and get 388, so I then subtract that from 1943 and I should be eating 1555 calories per day is that correct?
    And if that is correct, when I do exercise, I add those calories on top of the 1555 and eat them back, right?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Ok, so can someone help me and make sure I am calculating correctly? If I set it to lightly active and my BMR is 1413 & my TDEE is 1943, I multiply .20 x 1943 and get 388, so I then subtract that from 1943 and I should be eating 1555 calories per day is that correct?
    And if that is correct, when I do exercise, I add those calories on top of the 1555 and eat them back, right?

If you included your exercise in your TDEE calculation (which you should, since that is the point of figuring out Total Daily Energy Expenditure), then no you do not eat any exercise calories back. You should have already included them in that 1943 calories.

TDEE = the number where you would not lose or gain any weight, a balance of energy in and energy out, also called Maintenance Calories. So to eat more than that you would gain weight.

MFP calculations DO NOT include exercise calories, just daily living activities, not working out, that is why you eat those back if you are using MFP method. It is set lower than TDEE - % to begin with.

edited for typo
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    Ok, well the only reason I didn't set it to moderately active (even though I plan to work out 3-5 days/week) is just in case I for some reason can't fit in a workout for whatever reason. so the 1555 should be correct? And the days I work out, I eat more than that, right?
  • CM9178
    Options

Looking over my notes, from 11:15pm last night until 5:35am this morning i burned 638 calories. i had gotten 6.25 hours of sleep. so you figure my bmr (the amount of calories i would burn if i laid in bed all day would be 24* 102(638/6.25)

what it should be according to calculations that bales
    so my BMR is approx 2449
    my TDEE is my BMR *2.03 (i do about 8 hours of cardio + 2.25 hours of lifting) = 4971
    my TDEG should then be 3970
    my average daily deficit would then be 1000 calories or 2lbs a week

does that not seem high to anyone else?
    Yes, and you lost me completely.
    Just use an online calculator and call it a day rather than doing all of these mathematical equations.