boss is behaving unethically.

Options

Replies

• SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I was told by my business law professor that everyone has a price and will cross that ethical line for that price. Make sure your price is high enough you can get out of the country.

I do know that certain fields such as accounting or attorneys or auditors have a legal obligation to report such unethical behavior. It is also my understanding that whistleblowing is supposed to remain anonymous. If that happens, I do not know. But I would definitely be (A) searching for a new job, (B) requesting written instructions from a supervisor to perform what could be determined illegal, (C) checking into unemployment laws regarding quitting a job due to work environment conditions.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    "Of course" it affected your fitness? Sounds like you're just looking for a reason to post the question on this site.

Not everything here is about fitness. Did you see the girl who wants to be asked to Spring Fling?

Just own it.

omg-give me a break! Finding it hard just to be nice? Or are you just using this post as an excuse to be your rude self? Geez!

The fact that you interpreted that as rude is a little sad. Bluntness != Rudeness.
  • sugah11
    sugah11 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Keep your head down. Don't do anything unethical, and either transfer out of the unit your in, or look for something else. Document everything, and once your out of there or close to it take it to HR and leave with your head held high. You don't own his or her bad behavior, don't use it as a scapegoat to derail your workouts or eating. Good luck!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    In the end you make the call but remember the longer you stay in the situation the more you become part of it.

This ^^ And also
    I was told by my business law professor that everyone has a price and will cross that ethical line for that price. Make sure your price is high enough you can get out of the country.
    This ^^

I have left several jobs and refused a couple too because of my personal ethics. I guess it just depends whats happening. Everyone's threshold is different regarding what they will put up with when it comes to un-ethical behavior so in the end if it is bothering you then take all steps to CYA (cover your *kitten*) and get out.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    1) Document EVERYTHING. Keep copies outside of work.

2) Go to HR/Legal and share your concerns. Document those conversations, confirming the documentation with the other party.

3) Search for new job. Do NOT use your boss' unethical behavior as your "reason for seeking a new position" when you are interviewing.

4) I understand how conflict like this can impact your fitness; can you turn it to fueling your fitness instead?
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how unethical. Is he stealing paperclips or stealing millions of dollars. Obviously it could be neither, but is it a really big deal of are you giving more thought to this than is wise?
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been in this situation at previous jobs, boss paying me cash to cover for him and taking money out of the company to pay for personal things like lunches and such. Best thing to do is keep a record of everything so you have a running tally of anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. If he is indited or whatever you can always plead ignorance or have this record to help clear your name, saying you were unsure about what was best to do.

I stayed in my job because I needed the money and just got so apathetic that it didn't bother me [bad attitude to have and I'm glad I got out of it!] So if you need to stay in it until you find a new one, just document it everything you can and if something happens you can always be honest and tell your boss that you have a record of his unethical behavior that you will release to his boss without hesitation.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    As a lawyer, I will say that you should get yourself an employment lawyer, pronto.
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    Sniches get stitches....
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options

4) I understand how conflict like this can impact your fitness;

I really appreciate this. Thank you very much.
  • alyssalanier
    alyssalanier Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One word: Document! Get yourself a work journal and document every conversation, observation, and keep it in the event that you need it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Check the applicable whistle blower laws and see if you can retire on the reward. If not, suck it up and find another job.
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Flip the desk and do something awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lh7Zg8WXwU
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    kill him/her, unless they are hot. If so, sex them THEN kill them.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    No I would not. I've been around a long time and depending on the nature of the unethical behavior would determine my decision of course but if I felt it was aggregious I would seek new employment immediately. If there is an HR department and you really feel that the boss crossed the company ethical line, I would report it. that's just me but I despise people who think the rules don't apply to them. Good luck!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    As a lawyer, I couldn't stay if my boss were behaving unethically. Ultimately, that would likely come down on my license as well.

Without knowing more specifics though it's hard for people to tell you. Usually if your gut tells you something is off it probably is.
    Lawyers are the biggest crooks out there. The profession itself should be unethical. :wink:

Since I'm practically unethical, I would gather as much evidence as possible and blackmail the crap out of him. :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I had that same issue a few years ago and I had to quit. I work in the legal field an unethical behavior that borders on illegal behavior is not something you want attached to your name. You just have to decide what you can risk...
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    A long time ago, I started a new job and was in training class with several guys, who were nice guys, but were young and immature. When we moved from the training room to the "production floor" phase of training, they were checking out and "rating" some of the women based on looks. I asked them to please not do that around me (nicely, not like an evil witch) and from that point on they did not. A few weeks later, they were all fired for sexual harassment because it was reported by someone else. I was pulled into HR as a witness and almost lost my job because I was aware of the situation but didn't report it myself. The only thing that saved my job was the fact that after I asked them not to do that around me, they didn't, so I could honestly swear that I was not aware that it was ongoing.

The point to that story is that when the crap hits the fan, people who are aware will usually get hit with it also. I would either report it and handle the storm, or find a new job.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the behavior you're referring to. I really don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect me.

and with that attitude, that's how 6 million Jews died during the Holocaust. . . .
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the behavior you're referring to. I really don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect me.

and with that attitude, that's how 6 million Jews died during the Holocaust. . . .

tumblr_ma9a02JYuB1qaesd9.gif