boss is behaving unethically.

Options

Replies

• mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    (maintain YOUR ethics) and start looking for another job now.

Personally, I would not compromise my ethical standards for anyone or anything.

I know what you mean. But please, remind me why : (
    (My mind is obviously clouded now : / )

Because if the company OR the law is investigating you will be in trouble for being an accomplice...and jail or even no jail...just having that on your record will keep you from working again...
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I would be looking for another job, but I would stay until I found said job. Because I have bills to pay and can't afford to just up and quit.

Depends. I would start whatever procedures your field has in place for reporting unethical behavior AND document everything that's going on, regardless. If you don't think that will help you resolve the problem and stay in your current job, do it anyway (maintain YOUR ethics) and start looking for another job now.

Personally, I would not compromise my ethical standards for anyone or anything.

^^ Pretty much sums up my point of view.

I am currently in a situation where I have been treated by a couple of supervisors in an incredibly unprofessional manner and so I have spoken to the right people thus far and am on track to finding something new.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Large companies usually have ethics departments that you can contact anonymously. Whistle blower laws are also there to protect you if the actions are outright illegal.
    lice.

Sadly, these don't always help. My MIL is facing something similar but she would be blowing the whistle on law enforcement. She works in a very corrupt place and is terrified.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Document, document, document...........as much as you can remember from past incidents
    dates, names, places, times, who said what, and who else was present..........do the same for all present and future incidents as long as you are employed there.......keep this in a safe place, certainly NOT at work..........and keep it for YEARS after you do leave..........cause if it's illegal at all, you never know when it's gonna rear it's ugy head and bite you on your *kitten*
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the behavior you're referring to. I really don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect me.

and with that attitude, that's how 6 million Jews died during the Holocaust. . . .

tumblr_ma9a02JYuB1qaesd9.gif

Wow you people are all kinds of crazy.
  • michellewong699
    michellewong699 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In the end you make the call but remember the longer you stay in the situation the more you become part of it.
    I don't have much to say about this since I am a college student who does not have a lot of experience. I've only worked one job, and I loved it.

But after reading through this thread, I think this is a kernel that should be taken away from it. What everyone else said was great insight as well, but I think that this is what it is at the core. There couldn't have been a simpler and more direct way to say it.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    As a lawyer, I couldn't stay if my boss were behaving unethically. Ultimately, that would likely come down on my license as well.

Without knowing more specifics though it's hard for people to tell you. Usually if your gut tells you something is off it probably is.
    Lawyers are the biggest crooks out there. The profession itself should be unethical. :wink:

Since I'm practically unethical, I would gather as much evidence as possible and blackmail the crap out of him. :)

Doubt you'd say that were I representing your child or your mother or father. But to each his own :)
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Every boss I've ever had has done something illegal. Sadly it's commonplace in the corporate world. If you've been working there long enough to change jobs and have it look ok on your resume, apply for a new job. You'll still see bad things going on but a change is as good as a rest. I wish you well!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    As a lawyer, I will say that you should get yourself an employment lawyer, pronto.

That's two attorneys with the same advice!
  • Skernan1644
    Skernan1644 Posts: 20
    Options
    I would be looking for another job, but I would stay until I found said job. Because I have bills to pay and can't afford to just up and quit.

Ditto.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    How illegal is it? How incriminated are you?

Even if you have bills to pay, jail time isn't worth collecting a paycheck.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    As a lawyer, I will say that you should get yourself an employment lawyer, pronto.

Make that three, but I'm not giving advice on a website. Let's call it a nudge.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    It really depends on the behavior you're referring to. I really don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect me.

and with that attitude, that's how 6 million Jews died during the Holocaust. . . .

WHOA.

And WHOA.

And also... yeah! That guy who helped the lady next door screaming saved four people from captivity...so I kinda agree even tho this was an incredibly heavy comparison.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Oooh. Yeah not "legal advice" as a I'm probably not licensed in the OP's state.

Good call!

I meant "advice" in a much more colloquial non-term-of-art way.

Though I did understand from my PR class that the only legal advice an attorney can give safely is to advise someone to get an attorney ;)
  • BeachIron
    Options
    As a lawyer, I couldn't stay if my boss were behaving unethically. Ultimately, that would likely come down on my license as well.

Without knowing more specifics though it's hard for people to tell you. Usually if your gut tells you something is off it probably is.
    Lawyers are the biggest crooks out there. The profession itself should be unethical. :wink:

Since I'm practically unethical, I would gather as much evidence as possible and blackmail the crap out of him. :)

Doubt you'd say that were I representing your child or your mother or father. But to each his own :)

It's been my experience that those that are the loudest about others' unethical behavior are often the ones that need to spend the most time reflecting on their own behavior.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

It's been my experience that those that are the loudest about others' unethical behavior are often the ones that need to spend the most time reflecting on their own behavior.

I took the comment as a joke. I mean, does anyone hate lawyers more than other lawyers anyways???? The last thing I want to do after work is hang out with a bunch of lawyers... unless they are lifting weights, listening to heavy metal, and talking about tattoo conventions.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Oooh. Yeah not "legal advice" as a I'm probably not licensed in the OP's state.

Good call!

I meant "advice" in a much more colloquial non-term-of-art way.

Though I did understand from my PR class that the only legal advice an attorney can give safely is to advise someone to get an attorney ;)

It sounds like we may have a professor in common.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

WHOA.

And WHOA.

And also... yeah! That guy who helped the lady next door screaming saved four people from captivity...so I kinda agree even tho this was an incredibly heavy comparison.

Of all the comments I posted today, this is the last one I thought I would be defending. My comment is posted under a work related topic, not the Holocaust.

tumblr_inline_mi5bdtrIuw1qz4rgp.gif
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    "Of course" it affected your fitness? Sounds like you're just looking for a reason to post the question on this site.

Not everything here is about fitness. Did you see the girl who wants to be asked to Spring Fling?

Just own it.

omg-give me a break! Finding it hard just to be nice? Or are you just using this post as an excuse to be your rude self? Geez!
    i said it was fine that it's not about fitness and fine to be honest about that.

It would be helpful if you could explain how it is rude to state that someone should be honest about their intentions.

your sarcasm was duly noted-I am not here to argue so have a nice day
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i don't know if this is serious or not, and in what capacity that your boss is behaving unethically, but there are whistleblower laws out there to protect you.

this.if its that seripus REPORT IT. too often we dont. i reported my boss last year and he was investigated. a whole lot of other crap came out of it and at first i felt guilty. but we have responsibilities to do whats right too.