I don't want a waist line that looks like this!

Options

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's not her waistline. She just has naturally narrow hips. That's why she is one of the best swimmers in the entire world. Her narrow hips are more efficient and they don't drag as much in the water.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to put this out here, in-case she reads this thread. 10/10 wood do.

So we're clear. Me too. And I'm not even gay. NTTAWWT.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I have really come to not like threads like this. I think your opinion would have been better received if you had posted a pic of a body type or shape that you DO like rather than one you DON'T. To post a pic of someone and say "I don't want a waist line like this!" is the equivalent of saying "ewwww". Not necessary.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thats not nice. Don't worry you won't get one. You would have to work your whole life to build that body. She clearly wanted to. You clearly don't. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    For people who want to see other pics of Dara Torres, she's another fit person who looks either "cut" of soft depending on the lighting, current training, etc. There is a lovely pic on her site of her with abs, not nearly as "cut" as the original pic posted, but some great definition. Just for comparison's sake.

http://daratorres.com/photos.php

Also, to answer the OP's concern of "Is this avoidable?"

Yes. Absolutely! Don't train like an Olympic-level swimmer. Seriously, you are NOT going to start looking like her unless you have the same body type, genetically, and unless you are doing some SERIOUS training.

Instead of posting about what you DON'T want, which came across as judgemental and kind of body-shaming, maybe post about the body type you ARE seeking? Or what goals you have that others might relate to? I dunno about you, but positivity works so much better for me.

Good luck, OP, whatever your goals are.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I've seen this too and I was just googling this today. There's a girl on IG saying side to side ab workout will make your waist wider and "look like spongebob." I know this other girl who does side to side on an ab wheel and she has a wide waist, it's 25 inches but it's looks wide from the front. I'm so new to this stuff I don't know what to believe.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It's funny how women now think it's enough to lose fat to get 6 pack like that
    you will never achive this level of awesomness, don't worry
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, my waistline got straighter with heavy lifting (pic on right), but I think I look better!

LeenaRunssidebyside_zps9fcf8c61.jpg

I actually think it's more defined. It's a little higher than average, though.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So you're worried about obtaining an 8pack? If only it were that easy. I don't think you'll accidentally get that look. Maybe after a decade of hard, dedicated work you might start to look like that. In other words, you're worrying about a scenario that will never happen. Might as well instead worry about dinosaurs rising from the dead and consuming us all.

I lose sleep over a crazed scientist finding a mosquito in some amber.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Yum
    10/10 would do.

Good job on the body shaming OP.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    OP is about 10 years of doing the opposite of whatever else she's been doing her entire life before she looks like Dana.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I enjoy all the nay sayers here as well. Telling me how I never have to worry about having a nice set of abs. LOL.... wait people. Time is all it takes for progress to accumulate. I'll get around to posting a recent pic of myself eventually. This one is actually a few months old.

They are not saying you will not have a nice set of abs. They are saying that you will not look like her unless you commit to the same lifestyle she has. Its genetic, its hard work and it doesn't happen accidently you need to have that in mind for a goal to make it happen... So... yeah... you wont look like her if you don't want to.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Oh and I apologize to all Bill Gates and all other super rich people for shaming them by saying I wasn't trying to get super rich. (I'm sure after they read my post they all felt absolutely horrible about themselves and wanted to just die of shame.)
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    And let's not forget that Dara Torres is 40-something with a couple of kids. Even if I wouldn't want to look exactly like her, I cannot look at that photo and be anything but inspired.

To the OP your initial and subsequent posts seem to have a negative tone. I think that's why you're getting somewhat negative responses. The fact is that you likely cannot ever look like Ms. Torres. And saying you don't want to exercise for fear of being too fit is absurd.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing pictures of women who after working out, losing fat, and building muscle, have a straight waistline with no curves at all. Is this because of the way the muscles were built, is it genetic? What causes a woman's waist to look like this? This kind of makes me think twice about trying too hard to build muscle. Not that someone like Dara Torres doesn't have a nice body, it's just the waist line looks like a pencil. Is this avoidable?

strength.jpg

Let's hope that you haven't got "ruler", "straight up and down" genetics then! If you have, like I do, you'd still have to work like a *insert simile of choice here* to get those amazing muscles and definition. You have to make the most of what you've got & this lady has.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's just how her waist/figure is. Cameron Diaz and others have this shape. In fashion it's called "rectangle" , "athletic" , etc.

I wouldn't mind looking like that. I don't mind my hourglass figure either. All the shapes can be dressed to be the most flattering version of what they are. For instance while hourglass figures look nice in dresses with well defined waists, women with this figure look wonderful in short tops and jeans. They can also rock sheath dressed quite nicely. There are so many body types and so many fashions to fit them, that I think the best plan is to get to the healthiest/fittest version of you and then go to a good stylist who can highlight your particular shape to it's best potential. Or at least take the body types into consideration when you shop at your goal weight. Might as well wear things that show your body off well after putting in all that hard work.
    98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Why do all seemingly benign thread topics turn so cruel?
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying (and thanks for a visual)...I know it wasn't a put down but certainly a real concern. I want to keep my hourglass and I am sure I will...It is about the shape/build/structure of the individual, the work they put in, and genetics...you will look great when you reach your goals.
  • septbride2
    septbride2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    She's so lean, unless you get down to that low body fat %, I don't think you have to worry about your waist looking like her's. Not that it's a bad thing....she looks phenomenal.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Why do all seemingly benign thread topics turn so cruel?

What's benign about an overweight woman with virtually 0 progress posting a picture of one of the fittest women in the world, who happens to be a 46 year old Olympic athlete, and saying "how can I avoid ending up like this"??
This discussion has been closed.