I don't want a waist line that looks like this!

Options

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Now that you all have had a turn taking stabs at me personally....
    I do a 30 minute ab routine 3 days a week. Some of the moves use light weights, others do not. I was thinking of doing abs 5 days a week but I wonder if that is too much, or is it still too little? I never can decide if there should be more frequency than 3 days for abs. I have went to doing total body three days and cardio 5 days. I usually split my cardio from the resistance because I just don't have that uninterrupted chunk of time. Should I increase my resistance to 5 days?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Why do all seemingly benign thread topics turn so cruel?

I don't see anything cruel in this thread.

Other than the fact that it's not a benign topic (as others have pointed out).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

This one Really didn't start benign. It started with OP expressing dislike for a certain body type. I don't know what it is about people that they think accepting themselves the way they are has to entail slamming the perceived opposite of what they are? I can be happy that I have an hourglass figure and still think Cameron Diaz looks real cute in her outfits on Charlie's Angels. It doesn't mean I don't love the Kim K shape I can have any less? I can like pizza AND chocolate too at the same time. Acceptance of one, does not necessarily have to mean rejection of the other. Does that make sense?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I do a 30 minute ab routine 3 days a week. Some of the moves use light weights, others do not. I was thinking of doing abs 5 days a week but I wonder if that is too much, or is it still too little? I never can decide if there should be more frequency than 3 days for abs. I have went to doing total body three days and cardio 5 days. I usually split my cardio from the resistance because I just don't have that uninterrupted chunk of time. Should I increase my resistance to 5 days?

You think a 30 minute ab routine 3 times a week gives you the body of an Olympic athlete?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    OP, just judging off your profile picture, it appears you too might be a pencil shape.

So, yay, guess what, after years of dedication, hard work, a rigorous diet, and patience.......your waist will probably look like hers.

Damn, it's a crying shame I tells ya.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I chose clothing that emphasizes the waist that I do have and the features I was blessed with. I have never had a guy turn me down when I was naked.

Ditto. You can fake a waistline, to some extent. You cannot fake a 6-pack (well, not very easily). And, yeah, I wouldn't say guys *hate* it. ;)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I don't see anything cruel in this thread.

People enjoy it. It's just that simple. They certainly wont keep me up at night. I know it's all about their egos.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

You insulted the athlete.

Now, you are taking honest info as an insult.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you won't get a waistline like that because you aren't THAT person. None of us are shaped the same nor are going to look the same by the time we reach our end result. It's something to aspire to I must say.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

What's benign about an overweight woman with virtually 0 progress posting a picture of one of the fittest women in the world, who happens to be a 46 year old Olympic athlete, and saying "how can I avoid ending up like this"??

+1
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Abs are the one area you can (and probably should) do every day. However, to maximize your curves, I like to work the muscles as a part of the whole body as well (like yoga, Pilates, squats, etc.).
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

The ab work that you do will not 1. build muscle or 2. turn you into Dana Torres.

You could do an ab routine every day of the week, but it won't give you abs. Weight loss and a low body fat percentage will give you abs. Ab workouts will give you a stronger core, but as long as there is still excess weight there, it won't be visible.

You can train your abs as many days a week as you like. If you feel too sore, you're over training.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You think a 30 minute ab routine 3 times a week gives you the body of an Olympic athlete?
    The sad part here (for me) is I think she does....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Body shape is genetic plain and simple. It looks like she is whats called a banana or ruler shape. If you are not then don't worry about looking like that. I definitely wouldn't avoid weight training because you saw some women who didn't have the same look you want that is silly.

^^^^ this (although someone's body type (ruler, hourglass, whatever), can change as they lose fat, because the way they store fat might make them one shape at a high body fat percentage, but their actual skeleton and musculature under the fat may be a different shape)

once you strip the fat off, you're left with the natural structure of your skeleton and muscles, if you're female you can make your muscles somewhat bigger by eating at a calorie surplus and doing serious amounts of weight training, but you can't change how your muscles attach to the bones, and you can't change the size and shape of your bones.

As someone said, the swimmer in the pic has very slender hips. women who have wide hips still look curvy when they have visible abs. You can't do anything about the size and shape of your pelvis. However, you can make your glute muscles bigger through doing some heavy weight lifting and this will give even women with narrow hips a more curvy shape.
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I once took an abs class and I came out looking JUST LIKE THAT!!

Be careful - it happens all the time!!!!!!! Search the forums for "belly fat" and you'll see all the people who are trying desperately to put fat back on their middles becuase they totally accidentally got super-buff without trying at all!!

:flowerforyou:
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Um, you can't buy that! I want it, pencil or not!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There is a lovely pic on her site of her with abs, not nearly as "cut" as the original pic posted, but some great definition. Just for comparison's sake.

http://daratorres.com/photos.php

That is a beautiful picture!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

33k9fgz.jpg

Can I look like this, please?

:love:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The sad part here (for me) is I think she does....

Unbelievable. And this is the same poster who goes around the forums, telling all the people with outstanding progress and fitness that they're all wrong and know nothing.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You're not going to just wake up one morning looking "bulky" after a weight training session. If you start to think you're gaining too much muscle for your preference, cut down on the weight training.

I'm so sad to report that this is true. I've just completed my 2nd week of lifting and I haven't awakened to any bulky muscles yet. The only thing that keeps me going is the 3/4ths inch that I've lost off my waist in just the three weeks since I signed up here.
This discussion has been closed.