Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight

Options

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'll stick to my bacon cheeseburgers. Pop tarts and ice cream are gross.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Maybe this works for you (although I don't know how), but I don't think that should be recommended to any one trying to lose or even maintain their weight. Sure you shouldn't give up the foods you love, but eat them in moderation. Eating ice cream everyday is not moderation and is ridiculous, for anyone actually even someone not trying to lose weight.
    No it's not. That is your opinion.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    It's easy for me to eat treats in moderation because I know I can have them every day if I want. Right now in the kitchen I have TastyKakes, Chicago-style popcorn (mixed cheddar and caramel), at least two, maybe three kinds of ice cream, 3 or 4 flavors of Pop-Tarts, 3 flavors of Chex mix, a bunch of assorted Snack Pack puddings and Jello Temptations. Oh, and two flavors of Cap'n Crunch. I never lose control and binge on this stuff because it's there if I want it so I don't feel deprived.

But I used to eat a lot more of these things because I felt I was "being bad" if I indulged in a treat, so if my willpower slipped, that was it. Nom nom until the bag was empty. Or, my favorite excuse--"I have to eat it all so it's out of the house and won't tempt me any more. Then I can be good again!"

I just don't feel that way these days. Food is not the enemy. I don't have to destroy a whole package of evil nasty cookies--they can hang out and be my friends for a week or two until they're gone in a more reasonable time frame.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Yes if it fits your diet you can do it but sugar makes you crave sugar so you are really only making it harder on yourself. If you keep tossing pizza and icecream at your taste buds how do you ever expect the healthy food to compete? Use it like it is meant to be used - as a treat.
    Maybe this works for you (although I don't know how), but I don't think that should be recommended to any one trying to lose or even maintain their weight. Sure you shouldn't give up the foods you love, but eat them in moderation. Eating ice cream everyday is not moderation and is ridiculous, for anyone actually even someone not trying to lose weight.

LOL. I eat ice cream pretty much daily. I have absolutely no problems stopping after one serving if that's all I have room in my day for. I also have no problem eating "healthy" foods. I had no problems losing or maintaining my weight.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sure you shouldn't give up the foods you love, but eat them in moderation. Eating ice cream everyday is not moderation and is ridiculous, for anyone actually even someone not trying to lose weight.

Eating the foods you love in moderation is exactly what he recommended.

How is eating ice cream every day not moderation? Please. There are a lot of us on MFP who eat ice cream almost every day and lose weight and have great body composition.

Interestingly, if you pick out the most successful people on MFP in terms of achieving phenomenal body composition and health, they eat a lot of food people like you would consider "bad" or "unhealthy." People like Sara and Taso and Magerum are the absolute models of fitness success, and they eat things like ice cream daily.

Take your lessons from the people who display astonishing personal success and not what your preconceived ideas of "good" and "bad" food are.
    A-friggin'-MEN!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people have to be so mean spirited on here. We're all different, what works for one doesn't work for another and I go with the saying if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Me personally I think life is too short to deny yourself anything at all, we all deserve a bit of pleasure in this mean nasty little world of ours and as long as you enjoy those things as part of a healthy balanced diet then who gives a flying f@$%!!! :laugh:
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Some people just want to lose weight.

Some people want to actually be healthy.

Enjoy your crappy processed foods.

Enjoy the view from your high horse.

To be completely honest if I even smell pizza I turn into food hulk and can't control myself haha it makes me kinda grumpy :P
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

To be completely honest if I even smell pizza I turn into food hulk and can't control myself haha it makes me kinda grumpy :P

Me too. That's why I go to a pizza buffet and eat 1500+ calories of pizza once a month. It's pretty awesome.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    2918757-original_oh_you__5__super.jpg

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    are you still trying to lose weight? you have alot of calorie intake and your pottasium and sugar is pretty high. are you just trying to maintain?

:huh:

Don't hate!

Why not?
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I originally tried to be super-strict with what I ate but then listened to my wife and had something I enjoyed every once in a while.
    You just keep everything reasonable and in moderation. My biggest weakness was potato chips. I learned to just simply have a "portion" once in a while and then I didn't get the mad cravings. It really is all about moderation and sane portions. :glasses:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The standard serving size for pop tarts is however many I have in the house.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Me too. That's why I go to a pizza buffet and eat 1500+ calories of pizza once a month. It's pretty awesome.

I do that at the local China Buffet. It's the best day of the month.
  • goomba76
    goomba76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you love..... just do so while fitting them into your macro goals for the day.

Done.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Milziemooxx
    Milziemooxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people have to be so mean spirited on here. We're all different, what works for one doesn't work for another and I go with the saying if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Me personally I think life is too short to deny yourself anything at all, we all deserve a bit of pleasure in this mean nasty little world of ours and as long as you enjoy those things as part of a healthy balanced diet then who gives a flying f@$%!!! :laugh:

AGREE!!

:wink:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I don't do pop tarts and ice cream every day, but I have learned through the years that food isn't divided into "good" and "bad". It's food. If I want pop tarts and have the calories for them I'll eat them. It's a diet if I try to exclude things because people tell me I won't lose weight if I don't eat clean, paleo, keto, low fat, 1200 calories, gluten-free, etc. For me, for this to work, it has to be sustainable. Could I live the rest of my life eating very low carb or only veggie? Possibly, but I don't want to. I like enjoying pizza or lasagna or enchiladas or fresh baked bread if I want them. I just find a way to work them in. I may not eat a whole pizza, but a slice or two is usually doable.

If a different things works for you that's wonderful and I wish you all the luck in the world with whatever lifestyle you're following.
  • Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    You work out like a mad man, take your vitamins, eat your vegetables, and have lost 150 lbs. You're good.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    bacon_cake_by_2dchew-d2ylpfz.jpg