Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight

Options

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mfa4r1WaKO1qiwnk8o1_500.gif

that cat doesnt look too happy with his plain bread.

It's an in-bread kitty, of course it's not very happy.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    deliverycaptain.jpg?w=720

Now THAT was just plain rude.

If by "rude" you meant "hilarious", and/or "accurate and fair", then YES.

Well, apparently dear, we have different definitions of what constitutes "hilarious" and/or "accurate and fair". :heart:

tumblr_m98uzrLU7y1qa2k3l.jpg
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked this thread hasn't gotten locked yet from all the butthurt going on.

Who wants to join me for chicken alfredo and tiramisu tonight?

You know, I've never had tiramisu. I've always wanted to try, sounds delicious, but the opportunity has never really arisen. I should remedy this.

It's not difficult to make if you buy the ladyfingers premade :bigsmile: It's a delight - partake!
  • skinnydreams1997
    skinnydreams1997 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have a few cheat things a week so I don't feel deprived. I still have one serving of fries, two servings of peanut butter, one serving of tortilla chips, and one cheat meal a week. The only thing is for a cheat meal i just keep it the same amount of calories and carbs ect. as a non-cheat meal. I will also bake cookies once a month and allow myself 2 small balls of cookie dough and 1.5 cookies. All you have to do is eat in moderation! I will never give up my daily granola bar. :)
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    For me what it boils down to is "everything is permissible, not everything is beneficial". I have not demonized any foods except a couple I don't seem to be able to exercise self control with in terms of portions. Everything else is up for grabs. But I have to admit I have tried to change my mindset about food so that I'm eating to live, not living to eat. Which means not every day is a treat day. I don't have specific treat days either. I just sorta wing it.

But as I've said on here a million times, if it works for you, go for it. If I ate what you're eating my reactive hypoglycemia issues would be off the freakin' charts. But that's obviously not your issue. So carry on...

Oh. And for the record. Not treating reactive hypoglycemia with dietary changes will eventually lead to insulin resistance, which coupled with other risk factors previously mentioned, WILL lead to type 2 diabetes. So the Pop Tart Diet would definitely be no bueno for me.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Some people just want to lose weight.

Some people want to actually be healthy.

Enjoy your crappy processed foods.

Some people just want to lose weight.

Some people just want to actually be healthy.

I'll enjoy some of my favorite processed foods and do both!
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    ...It's been awhile since I've posted something like this...

I knew you were the OP of this thread before I even opened it. (You are the pop-tart man, after all. :p) ^‿^
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked this thread hasn't gotten locked yet from all the butthurt going on.

Who wants to join me for chicken alfredo and tiramisu tonight?

You know, I've never had tiramisu. I've always wanted to try, sounds delicious, but the opportunity has never really arisen. I should remedy this.

It's not difficult to make if you buy the ladyfingers premade :bigsmile: It's a delight - partake!

Peer pressure makes me eat sweet espresso soaked desserts! Mmmm.
    Seriously though, I love coffee (Though I've cut it out because I'm a flavored coffee/flavored creamer fanatic. I just drink tea with a touch of cream now.) so I'm not sure how I've ended up not tasting it. It's so up my alley.

Then again most desserts are up my alley.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is to become healthy. So why eat like a slob?

How am I eating like a slob?

Diary from yesterday:

Kirkland Signature (Costco) - Premium Performance Multi 31 Vitamins & Minerals, 1 tablet
    Nature's Bounty - Fish Oil 1400 Mg/980 Mg Omega-3, 1 Softgel
    Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Isolate - Vanilla Creme, 2 scoop (35g)

Lunch
    Kirkland Signature - Almonds, Dry Roasted and Salted, 28 g (1/4 cup)
    Barilla Plus Multigrain Pasta - Farfalle (Bowtie) Noodles, 1 oz
    Generic - Broccoli, 3 oz.
    Cauliflower - Raw Floweret, 3 ounce
    Coca-Cola - Cherry Coke Zero 12oz Can, 12 oz
    Bybee Organic Mixed Vegetables With Shelled Edemame (Costco) - Organic, Frozen Corn, Carrots, Green Beans, & Edamame, 2 cup (100g)
    Lawry's Marinade - Lemon Pepper, 1 tbs
    Kirkland Chicken Breast - Boneless skinless chicken breast, 8 oz
    Knudsen - Cottage Cheese - Lowfat Small Curd, 1/2 cup

Dinner
    Coca-Cola - Cherry Coke Zero 12oz Can, 12 oz
    Red Brick Pizza - Pizza Bufalo, 1 small pizza
    Gold Coast - Salad Spinach (Premium Select), 200 g
    Kirkland Chicken Breast - Boneless skinless chicken breast, 7 oz

Upper Crust Bakery - Mini Cinnamon Rolls, 2 rolls (37 g)
    Kellogg's - Pop-Tart - Frosted Red Velvet, 2 pastry
    General Mills Cheerios Plain - Plain Cherrios, 56 g
    Milk Walmart Great Value - 1% Milk, 0.75 cup (240ML)
    General Mills Cereal - Fiber One 80 Calories Honey Squares, 2 1/4 cup (30g)
    Edys - Slow Churned Mint Cookie, 2 cup 63g

It's not McDonald's, but there is still a lot of bad stuff on your diet. Lots of high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners and GMO-food. Also soy is estrogenic (edamame). Once in a while, it might be ok to indulge (yes, I do it), but don't kid yourself! Every day like this isn't healthy.

I was so going to read this entire thread and complain that I don't like pop tarts and that dairy hates me even though I love it. But this really what is up with telling people to avoid soy?

So all the peeps that think soy is so estrogenic, whatever that means, find me a male vegan with man boobs. One will do. But, he has to be a long time vegan. It's cheating to find a morbidly obese man that just started veganism last week.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    In the words of the immortal Ezio Auditore and the Creed, "Nothing is forbidden; everything is permitted."
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I would caution against processed foods. While you will lose weight if your caloric use exceeds your intake, the quality of your long term health will not improve. Ice cream and pop tarts everyday will not teach your body to burn fuel as efficiently as whole unprocessed foods. Additionally, consistently consuming foods like pop tarts and ice cream increase insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a sweet treat every now and then, but replacing your guilty pleasures with something a bit less guilty will help you long term. My former addiction? Mint chocolate chip ice cream every night religiously. I've replaced that with Greek yogurt (that comes in every flavor. Weekday breakfast? Irish oatmeal with a cup of raspberries.

I wasn't easy, but after some youtube videos and encouragement from some friends, I scaled back my relationship with processed food. I actually started seeing results, my energy levels went up, and I actually ate less. Once in a blue moon, I splurge and eat something totally indulgent. The previous commenters were correct, food shaming is out; however, I would strongly encourage you to be aware of the long term effects of pop tarts and ice cream every day. best wishes

Epic first post, welcome to the forums! :flowerforyou:

Absolute nonsense. I average between 140 - 200 g a day in sugar. As of last week my fasting blood sugar level was 71mg/dL. Sugar does NOT cause diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/#type2
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/Causes_of_Diabetes_508.pdf

For those who typically don't read sources:

Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
    People who develop type 2 diabetes are more likely to have the following characteristics:

•age 45 or older
    •overweight or obese
    •physically inactive
    •parent or sibling with diabetes
    •family background that is African American, Alaska Native, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic/ Latino, or Pacific Islander American
    •history of giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
    •history of gestational diabetes
    •high blood pressure—140/90 or above—or being treated for high blood pressure
    •high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or good, cholesterol below 35 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or a triglyceride level above 250 mg/dL
    •polycystic ovary syndrome, also called PCOS
    •prediabetes—an A1C level of 5.7 to 6.4 percent; a fasting plasma glucose test result of 100–125 mg/dL, called impaired fasting glucose; or a 2-hour oral glucose tolerance test result of 140–199, called impaired glucose tolerance
    •acanthosis nigricans, a condition associated with insulin resistance, characterized by a dark, velvety rash around the neck or armpits
    •history of CVD

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/DS01121/DSECTION=risk-factors

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/#x

You. Cannot. Bend. What. Works. For. You. To. Work. For. Everyone.

You're like an Atheist who won't shut up about how there is no God-- I can understand trying to educate people who are actively harming their bodies with the way they eat but for chrissakes, let people eat what they want and stop soapboxing so damn much.

Just because YOU are eating pop tarts and ice cream every day-- and feel proud enough about it to post constantly, whoopee for you-- doesn't mean everyone wants to, should, or has to be like you to be successful!

Please just stahp

stahp.

I am not surprised by you completely missing the point. Did you even read the OP? The entire thread is an attempt to help show how the food shaming and demonizing is not only unhelpful, but ridiculous. You're hung up on pop tarts and ice cream, it can be anything you want it to be.

The entire point is you can eat anything you want and reach your goals, both fitness and health.
  • RobJVM
    RobJVM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It REALLY is calories in/calories out.

BUT!!!!!

I can have 1 pop tart or a BUCKET of salad with a couple oz of grilled chicken (no really… a gallon bucket FULL to the top).

Nutrition is another animal.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

Through eating the way OP promotes. Do you realize that 100 calories extra (not even a half-cup of ice cream) over what your body requires (and my body happens to use calories very efficiently apparently) over the course of 10 years is a 100-pound gain. And dieting only exacerbates the problem. So we cleaned up our act and got serious about making healthy changes. And here we are---loving our healthy new way of achieving our goals. :smile:

You forgot to add: "loving our healthy new way of achieving our goals... while trying to prove to others that I am better than them by nagging in a thread specifically titled Eating pizza, pop tarts, and ice cream while losing weight...SMILEY FACE."

Not at all, dear. I do NOT consider myself superior in any way. If you got that out of my posts, it was likely your inference. It is not nagging to suggest that what the OP advocates will not necessarily work for everyone. Sorry that my posts seem to have made you angry, but there was really nothing in them that should have done so. When you are around here a bit longer, perhaps you will see that this is an old ongoing discussion that apparently has no end in sight. If they are happy with what they are doing---more power to them. I am merely pointing out that it simply will not work for some people and that those who are watching and not participating would be wise to tread cautiously on their advice as they should tread cautiously on all advice from every source.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It REALLY is calories in/calories out.

BUT!!!!!

I can have 1 pop tart or a BUCKET of salad with a couple oz of grilled chicken (no really… a gallon bucket FULL to the top).

Nutrition is another animal.

No one suggested eating ONLY pop tarts and forgoing nutrition. If you meet all your nutrition needs for the day and then use your remaining calories for a treat, then there's no problem.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have a treat I love than a BUCKET of salad anyway.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    How come nobody questions Michael Phelps calorie intake, which is probably way higher than the OP's intake? While I try avoiding some of the things the OP eats, a calorie is after all a calorie.

To the OP, my god though you must take 20 craps a day lol.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I finished 2 talenti gelatos my first month and still lost 9 pounds.

Mmmm....I just discovered Talenti gelatos. Soooo good!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This seems appropriate

cattart_zpsd2801b41.jpg
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I agree. Eating ice cream everyday is just not healthy. Even if you can do it and still lose weight. You have to think about what it does to your body in the long run. Junk food turns your body into junk. Eventually it will break down. We are talking about making you more susceptible to diseases like diabetes and cancer and heart disease even stroke. It's ok once in awhile ,but daily is another story.

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Then why you keep coming back to argue? If you don't care then why debate it! Geesh........ I said live and let live. about a hundred times throughout this thread. You just want to argue. I don't know why you chose me though. I didn't create the controversy.

Indeed.

One might say that you've been preaching it throughout this thread. Incessantly, even...

...in a thread titled, "Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight"...

How are you unable or unwilling to grasp the hypocrisy in this?

^this
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    HEY! When did they start showing the day we started instead of just the month and year?