Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

if you want to know, I came looking for ways to stop binging. And I was able to uncover a solution. I have not binged in about 4 months. And before you go there, my binges were sometimes on vegetables or fruit, sometimes peanut butter and potato chips, what ever was within arms reach really.

you need to lose 40lbs. in 4 months you've lost 5lbs. yet you say you came here solely to prevent binging.

seems legit.

maybe, just maybe, the reason you're binging is because of your overly restrictive diet.
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me.

so it's the foods fault that you ate it, therefore the food is bad???

how about your spoons, bowls, forks, and plates? do you blame them too??

IIFYM works for everybody. in fact, it is the underlying principle of EVERY successful and healthy diet. unless you do nothing but drink water for 40 days or get liposuction, if you're losing weight and not getting malnourished in the process, then you are following IIFYM even if you don't know.

clean, paleo, low carb, etc. are all "wrappers" that obscure the true cause of weight loss by adding a layer of complexity that includes all sorts of rules about what you can and cannot eat.

it's your preaching of those rules that causes this pushback. if you were to step back and understand that you really are following IIFYM and your food restrictions are a choice you've made, but not a necessity, i think you'd have a much healthier understanding of the whole process and a much better chance of avoiding binging or other problems down the road.

food restrictions which are based on nothing more than the idea that certain foods are good or bad, lead to shame and guilt when you fail to fully adhere to those high standards, which in turn can lead to real eating disorders.

I see you cant handle that someone else eats differently than you. Carry on. I almost thought there was an actual discussion going on. I see now it really just a means to attack as usual.

^^^THIS^^^ WE do not suggest that they have a mental illness when they choose to eat the way they do. They love to come up with their phony psychological assessments for everyone who doesn't think and act like they do. :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Enjoy limiting yourself when you don't need to to be healthy.
    The point is, unfortunately, some of us DO need to limit ourselves or avoid certain foods - whether it's due to allergies, food sensitivity or metabolic disorders.

ETA: I certainly don't *enjoy* having to limit myself, but in order to feel good and be healthy (with PCOS, insulin resistance and a slew of other hormone issues), it IS necessary!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjs5vkUB6C1s27gxso1_400.gif

Is that an ice cream container?
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

if you want to know, I came looking for ways to stop binging. And I was able to uncover a solution. I have not binged in about 4 months. And before you go there, my binges were sometimes on vegetables or fruit, sometimes peanut butter and potato chips, what ever was within arms reach really.

you need to lose 40lbs. in 4 months you've lost 5lbs. yet you say you came here solely to prevent binging.

seems legit.

maybe, just maybe, the reason you're binging is because of your overly restrictive diet.
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me.

IIFYM works for everybody. in fact, it is the underlying principle of EVERY successful and healthy diet. unless you do nothing but drink water for 40 days or get liposuction, if you're losing weight and not getting malnourished in the process, then you are following IIFYM even if you don't know.

clean, paleo, low carb, etc. are all "wrappers" that obscure the true cause of weight loss by adding a layer of complexity that includes all sorts of rules about what you can and cannot eat.

it's your preaching of those rules that causes this pushback. if you were to step back and understand that you really are following IIFYM and your food restrictions are a choice you've made, but not a necessity, i think you'd have a much healthier understanding of the whole process and a much better chance of avoiding binging or other problems down the road.

food restrictions which are based on nothing more than the idea that certain foods are good or bad, lead to shame and guilt when you fail to fully adhere to those high standards, which in turn can lead to real eating disorders.

I see you cant handle that someone else eats differently than you. Carry on. I almost thought there was an actual discussion going on. I see now it really just a means to attack as usual.

oh no. trust me. i don't care about you at all. not one single bit.

my comments, like most of the others on here are not aimed at you. your mind is closed and you are confident that what you believe is true. i would call that blissful ignorance, but that's really an irrelevant semantic point.

my comments are aimed at all of the lurkers who may see this thread. not all of them have their minds closed off and if my comments can prompt them to do further research before embracing unnecessary food restrictions, then i consider it worthwhile posting them here.

you can eat nothing but celery for the rest of your life and it would have ZERO effect on my life.
    Then why you keep coming back to argue? If you don't care then why debate it! Geesh........ I said live and let live. about a hundred times throughout this thread. You just want to argue. I don't know why you chose me though. I didn't create the controversy.

explaining my reasons for posting =/= arguing

i came into this thread expecting pizza, pop tarts, and ice cream and was confronted by your comments (and another woman's comments who is well know to be on an anti-carbohydrate crusade in these forums). these comments all deserve a rebuttal for the benefit of the lurkers. if you want to post in one of the paleo or clean or gluten free groups your opinions of these foods, you will NEVER find me in their arguing with your opinions. but these are public forums. the OP made a post. you disagreed with him and stated your views. i disagreed with you and stated my views. now you are upset that i had the nerve to state my views??? i'm confused. are you entitled to special privileges that i am not???
    Confronted by my comments? I basically said that I dont care if people want to make room for the stuff, but I dont care for it. How is that confrontational? Wow. I see the hypersensitive are on the loose again. I dont care what you express. You came after me for what ever reason. You act like you have some master privilege that allows you to tell the rest of us what we should and should not comment on. I believe OP knew exactly what would ensue when he posted. This forum is open to us all. The sooner you realize it the better.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lgouyr1mlU1qf1s8eo1_400.gif
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Through eating the way OP promotes. Do you realize that 100 calories extra (not even a half-cup of ice cream) over what your body requires (and my body happens to use calories very efficiently apparently) over the course of 10 years is a 100-pound gain. And dieting only exacerbates the problem. So we cleaned up our act and got serious about making healthy changes. And here we are---loving our healthy new way of achieving our goals. :smile:

You forgot to add: "loving our healthy new way of achieving our goals... while trying to prove to others that I am better than them by nagging in a thread specifically titled Eating pizza, pop tarts, and ice cream while losing weight...SMILEY FACE."
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I would caution against processed foods. While you will lose weight if your caloric use exceeds your intake, the quality of your long term health will not improve. Ice cream and pop tarts everyday will not teach your body to burn fuel as efficiently as whole unprocessed foods. Additionally, consistently consuming foods like pop tarts and ice cream increase insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a sweet treat every now and then, but replacing your guilty pleasures with something a bit less guilty will help you long term. My former addiction? Mint chocolate chip ice cream every night religiously. I've replaced that with Greek yogurt (that comes in every flavor. Weekday breakfast? Irish oatmeal with a cup of raspberries.

I wasn't easy, but after some youtube videos and encouragement from some friends, I scaled back my relationship with processed food. I actually started seeing results, my energy levels went up, and I actually ate less. Once in a blue moon, I splurge and eat something totally indulgent. The previous commenters were correct, food shaming is out; however, I would strongly encourage you to be aware of the long term effects of pop tarts and ice cream every day. best wishes
    Youtube videos are legitimate sources now? So much BS in this post it stinks.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging.

Negative, Ghost Rider, it was the lack of discipline and self control that led to the binging. Address the self control issue and the rest of weight loss is shockingly easy.

Actually, you are dead wrong. There are people with real problems where food is concerned. And believe it or not, there are ingredients in processed food that drives the appetite for many, (but perhaps not all). I removed the junk, and my problems were gone. Anytime I reintroduce the stuff, the same never ending hunger returns. You don't have to understand it. Not everyones body handles every thing the same way. Medication for example, one person can take sudafed and feel like a million bucks. Another might have a deadly allergic reaction, another might get a migraine from the stuff. The same goes for any thing that goes into the body. Some are gluten sensitive, some are not, some allergic to peanuts, some are not. I think you get the point.

Just because you have a food/beverage that makes you crave (insert food here) that craving doesn't control you hand pushing it into your mouth. We all have appetites that exceed our needs- why do you think we ended up here. ...lol

You said it best, actually- "I removed the junk and my problems were gone" See how cool it is when you take control of yourself? Nice going. It was your actions, not some condition that caused your issues. You still have your "condition" but not the problems, because you took control of yourself. Some people can control the cravings and some find it easier to keep the food out of the house... both ways work because you took control.

^this, and I would also like to add:

OP, and many others, do not seem to grasp the very simple concept of trigger foods. You can talk about "self-control", "discipline" and "willpower" until you're blue in the face but at the end of the day, certain people have legitimate problems with being able to resist certain foods. For them, it is easier not to simply "moderate" but to abstain from them altogether for a few weeks or months, until they no longer obsess over them. Then, they can reintroduce at a "moderate" portion if they so choose-- however, this USUALLY results in them not craving that food any longer!

Imagine how cranky OP would be without his daily pop tarts and ice cream...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Some people just want to lose weight.

Some people want to actually be healthy.

Enjoy your crappy processed foods.

Enjoy limiting yourself when you don't need to to be healthy.
    The point is, unfortunately, some of us DO need to limit ourselves or avoid certain foods - whether it's due to allergies, food sensitivity or metabolic disorders.

While I advocate allowing 'treats' in your diet ^^this is a very valid reason not to. People do need to remember it, just as people who do need to restrict need not to project their issues on everyone else (which this poster is not btw).
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I believe you can eat what you want just as long as you don't go mad, I never limit what I can eat and I love to eat chocolate daily, never tried a pop tart in my life not really sure what one is but if you like it enjoy it x
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

seems legit.

my comments, like most of the others on here are not aimed at you. your mind is closed and you are confident that what you believe is true. i would call that blissful ignorance, but that's really an irrelevant semantic point.

my comments are aimed at all of the lurkers who may see this thread. not all of them have their minds closed off and if my comments can prompt them to do further research before embracing unnecessary food restrictions, then i consider it worthwhile posting them here.

you can eat nothing but celery for the rest of your life and it would have ZERO effect on my life.
    Then why you keep coming back to argue? If you don't care then why debate it! Geesh........ I said live and let live. about a hundred times throughout this thread. You just want to argue. I don't know why you chose me though. I didn't create the controversy.

i came into this thread expecting pizza, pop tarts, and ice cream and was confronted by your comments (and another woman's comments who is well know to be on an anti-carbohydrate crusade in these forums). these comments all deserve a rebuttal for the benefit of the lurkers. if you want to post in one of the paleo or clean or gluten free groups your opinions of these foods, you will NEVER find me in their arguing with your opinions. but these are public forums. the OP made a post. you disagreed with him and stated your views. i disagreed with you and stated my views. now you are upset that i had the nerve to state my views??? i'm confused. are you entitled to special privileges that i am not???

stop making sense.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    OK. Here is the thing. NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME.

Some people can eat junk in moderation and lose weight. Some people can eat junk a lot of the time and maintain weight or lose weight with exercise. Some people can't eat junk at all.

If you can eat junk food and lose weight - do it if you want. If you are healthy, exercising, making sure you are not starving yourself in order to have those treats, then who are we to judge? The only problem in my eyes is if you are regularly restricting your calories in order to have treats - that isn't a healthy mindset nor very good to your body.

The most important thing? A good relationship with food is the key. That is easier said than done, ultimately, if we had a healthy relationship with food we probably wouldn't be here! You need to allow yourself treats - for me, a treat is a massive bowl of noodles or cheese. To others? Chocolate, pizza - whatever. If you deny yourself things you crave, there is a strong chance that you a) become obsessed with the idea of not being able to eat those foods and b) end up eating it.

The self-righteousness on this thread is incredible.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I think the point the OP is making is fantastic! As for what happened in the next 13 pages, I'm not really sure...

rAx2Zhe.gif
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging.

Negative, Ghost Rider, it was the lack of discipline and self control that led to the binging. Address the self control issue and the rest of weight loss is shockingly easy.

Actually, it's not for some of us. My macros are set at 1 pound a week and even though I faithfully weigh and record every morsel (of whole nourishing food I might add) I only lose about 1/2 pound per week. I work my tail off at the pool and lift both light and heavy weights. I am more active than I have ever been and that is not easy because I have arthritis. What else would you like to attack?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Eating my Talenti, enjoying the usual debate...gonna join Dani in posting cat gifs

WAY3Yvw.gif
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i can't stop laughing at all these cat gifs.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I think the point the OP is making is fantastic! As for what happened in the next 13 pages, I'm not really sure...

rAx2Zhe.gif

It's like they forget how to cat when someone puts clothes on them...
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

seems legit.

Confronted by my comments? I basically said that I dont care if people want to make room for the stuff, but I dont care for it. How is that confrontational? Wow. I see the hypersensitive are on the loose again. I dont care what you express. You came after me for what ever reason. You act like you have some master privilege that allows you to tell the rest of us what we should and should not comment on. I believe OP knew exactly what would ensue when he posted. This forum is open to us all. The sooner you realize it the better.

i'm not sure you are familiar with all of the definitions of the word "confronted" or the idiom "confronted with". i have used to word correctly. it simply means to come up against or encounter.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/confronted

i am exercising my posting privileges, no differently than you. if you don't want people to reply to the things you post, then perhaps you should stop posting... or put everyone else on the site on ignore.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Girls be trippin'
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mcd4r96rKj1rqw9wb.gif