Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight

Options

Replies

• tamrod2
    tamrod2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    SIGH..why don't POPTARTS taste the same as when I was a kid:sad: Love the attitude!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

if you want to know, I came looking for ways to stop binging. And I was able to uncover a solution. I have not binged in about 4 months. And before you go there, my binges were sometimes on vegetables or fruit, sometimes peanut butter and potato chips, what ever was within arms reach really.

you need to lose 40lbs. in 4 months you've lost 5lbs. yet you say you came here solely to prevent binging.

seems legit.

maybe, just maybe, the reason you're binging is because of your overly restrictive diet.
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me. And about my pounds lost, I have lost in inches, but not much in pounds.

Just because you have trigger foods, does not mean everyone does. Stop projecting.
    SOOOOOO answering a question is projecting? I did not say anything about ANYONE else. I am telling what goes on with ME. Get over it.

I do not think you get the concept of projecting.
    I know what projecting is. I am not projecting, I was discussing with another poster, this subject. I haven't criticized anyone, projected any thing onto anyone, or tried putting anyone through the ringer. But the usual crowd who come in only to pick apart other people are right on schedule. I said once and I will say it again, YOU eat what YOU like, and I will eat what I like. Enjoy your self.

First post from you:
    Just because "it fits your macros" that does not mean it is nutritious or good for you in any way. Eating this way is just fine for those who would like to make room for this stuff. I don't get that much enjoyment from junk so I tend to not eat it often. A pack of pop tarts and pizza make me feel drained, bloated and irritable. I like to feel good after I eat.

Calling food people eat "junk" is pretty much criticizing.
    No. You are now grasping at straws. People who LIKE it call it junk too. LOL... nice try though!

Nope...I do not believe I am

Oh. and LOL....
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Run everyday like I do. That's what I do and I can eat anything I want without it affecting my weight. It helps me maintain my weight.

You are a man. Just like there are weight-lifting rules for women, there are dietary suggestions for women. Since women have 2 to 3 times the amount of leptin circulating in their blood as men do AT THE SAME LEVEL OF BODY FAT, they are much more likely to end up with leptin-resistance as men if they are not very careful with their diet. Nature, it seems, wants women to be plump (for the purposes of reproduction, no doubt) while it wants men to be strong and lean. We have a different set of recommendations to follow.
    The gender argument! YAAAAY!

I eat the same way as the OP. Try again, hunnybun.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

if you want to know, I came looking for ways to stop binging. And I was able to uncover a solution. I have not binged in about 4 months. And before you go there, my binges were sometimes on vegetables or fruit, sometimes peanut butter and potato chips, what ever was within arms reach really.

you need to lose 40lbs. in 4 months you've lost 5lbs. yet you say you came here solely to prevent binging.

seems legit.

maybe, just maybe, the reason you're binging is because of your overly restrictive diet.
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me.

so it's the foods fault that you ate it, therefore the food is bad???

how about your spoons, bowls, forks, and plates? do you blame them too??

IIFYM works for everybody. in fact, it is the underlying principle of EVERY successful and healthy diet. unless you do nothing but drink water for 40 days or get liposuction, if you're losing weight and not getting malnourished in the process, then you are following IIFYM even if you don't know.

clean, paleo, low carb, etc. are all "wrappers" that obscure the true cause of weight loss by adding a layer of complexity that includes all sorts of rules about what you can and cannot eat.

it's your preaching of those rules that causes this pushback. if you were to step back and understand that you really are following IIFYM and your food restrictions are a choice you've made, but not a necessity, i think you'd have a much healthier understanding of the whole process and a much better chance of avoiding binging or other problems down the road.

food restrictions which are based on nothing more than the idea that certain foods are good or bad, lead to shame and guilt when you fail to fully adhere to those high standards, which in turn can lead to real eating disorders.

I see you cant handle that someone else eats differently than you. Carry on. I almost thought there was an actual discussion going on. I see now it really just a means to attack as usual.

oh no. trust me. i don't care about you at all. not one single bit.

my comments, like most of the others on here are not aimed at you. your mind is closed and you are confident that what you believe is true. i would call that blissful ignorance, but that's really an irrelevant semantic point.

my comments are aimed at all of the lurkers who may see this thread. not all of them have their minds closed off and if my comments can prompt them to do further research before embracing unnecessary food restrictions, then i consider it worthwhile posting them here.

you can eat nothing but celery for the rest of your life and it would have ZERO effect on my life.
    Then why you keep coming back to argue? If you don't care then why debate it! Geesh........ I said live and let live. about a hundred times throughout this thread. You just want to argue. I don't know why you chose me though. I didn't create the controversy.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    39593754_9578.jpg
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

seems legit.

See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me. And about my pounds lost, I have lost in inches, but not much in pounds.

Just because you have trigger foods, does not mean everyone does. Stop projecting.
    SOOOOOO answering a question is projecting? I did not say anything about ANYONE else. I am telling what goes on with ME. Get over it.

I know what projecting is. I am not projecting, I was discussing with another poster, this subject. I haven't criticized anyone, projected any thing onto anyone, or tried putting anyone through the ringer. But the usual crowd who come in only to pick apart other people are right on schedule. I said once and I will say it again, YOU eat what YOU like, and I will eat what I like. Enjoy your self.

First post from you:
    Just because "it fits your macros" that does not mean it is nutritious or good for you in any way. Eating this way is just fine for those who would like to make room for this stuff. I don't get that much enjoyment from junk so I tend to not eat it often. A pack of pop tarts and pizza make me feel drained, bloated and irritable. I like to feel good after I eat.

No. You are now grasping at straws. People who LIKE it call it junk too. LOL... nice try though!

i don't. i call food, "food". i might call McDonald's "fast food", but never "junk food". junk food is a pejorative and it is used to pass judgement on the quality of a food. obviously the food itself doesn't have feelings that can be hurt, but propagandists know the power of words and i won't concede this battle in the war against orthorexia.
    Options

seems legit.

First post from you:

Oh. and LOL....
    Of course you don't want to admit it. You just can't actually present me with any criticism I made of others who eat such as the OP suggests. And the reason you can't is because I did no such thing. Have a nice day now! :laugh:
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would caution against processed foods. While you will lose weight if your caloric use exceeds your intake, the quality of your long term health will not improve. Ice cream and pop tarts everyday will not teach your body to burn fuel as efficiently as whole unprocessed foods. Additionally, consistently consuming foods like pop tarts and ice cream increase insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a sweet treat every now and then, but replacing your guilty pleasures with something a bit less guilty will help you long term. My former addiction? Mint chocolate chip ice cream every night religiously. I've replaced that with Greek yogurt (that comes in every flavor. Weekday breakfast? Irish oatmeal with a cup of raspberries.

I wasn't easy, but after some youtube videos and encouragement from some friends, I scaled back my relationship with processed food. I actually started seeing results, my energy levels went up, and I actually ate less. Once in a blue moon, I splurge and eat something totally indulgent. The previous commenters were correct, food shaming is out; however, I would strongly encourage you to be aware of the long term effects of pop tarts and ice cream every day. best wishes

Got anything to back that up?
    She said YouTube videos. Sounds legit.
    it was the next video after "double rainbow"
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjs5vkUB6C1s27gxso1_400.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

seems legit.

First post from you:

Oh. and LOL....
    Of course you don't want to admit it. You just can't actually present me with any criticism I made of others who eat such as the OP suggests. And the reason you can't is because I did no such thing. Have a nice day now! :laugh:

You are funny.....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Run everyday like I do. That's what I do and I can eat anything I want without it affecting my weight. It helps me maintain my weight.

You are a man. Just like there are weight-lifting rules for women, there are dietary suggestions for women. Since women have 2 to 3 times the amount of leptin circulating in their blood as men do AT THE SAME LEVEL OF BODY FAT, they are much more likely to end up with leptin-resistance as men if they are not very careful with their diet. Nature, it seems, wants women to be plump (for the purposes of reproduction, no doubt) while it wants men to be strong and lean. We have a different set of recommendations to follow.

Weight lifting rules for women????

Dietary suggestions for women????

Pink. Eat/lift the pink.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mfa4r1WaKO1qiwnk8o1_500.gif

that cat doesnt look too happy with his plain bread.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

seems legit.

See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me.

so it's the foods fault that you ate it, therefore the food is bad???

how about your spoons, bowls, forks, and plates? do you blame them too??

IIFYM works for everybody. in fact, it is the underlying principle of EVERY successful and healthy diet. unless you do nothing but drink water for 40 days or get liposuction, if you're losing weight and not getting malnourished in the process, then you are following IIFYM even if you don't know.

clean, paleo, low carb, etc. are all "wrappers" that obscure the true cause of weight loss by adding a layer of complexity that includes all sorts of rules about what you can and cannot eat.

it's your preaching of those rules that causes this pushback. if you were to step back and understand that you really are following IIFYM and your food restrictions are a choice you've made, but not a necessity, i think you'd have a much healthier understanding of the whole process and a much better chance of avoiding binging or other problems down the road.

food restrictions which are based on nothing more than the idea that certain foods are good or bad, lead to shame and guilt when you fail to fully adhere to those high standards, which in turn can lead to real eating disorders.

I see you cant handle that someone else eats differently than you. Carry on. I almost thought there was an actual discussion going on. I see now it really just a means to attack as usual.

oh no. trust me. i don't care about you at all. not one single bit.

my comments, like most of the others on here are not aimed at you. your mind is closed and you are confident that what you believe is true. i would call that blissful ignorance, but that's really an irrelevant semantic point.

my comments are aimed at all of the lurkers who may see this thread. not all of them have their minds closed off and if my comments can prompt them to do further research before embracing unnecessary food restrictions, then i consider it worthwhile posting them here.

you can eat nothing but celery for the rest of your life and it would have ZERO effect on my life.
    Then why you keep coming back to argue? If you don't care then why debate it! Geesh........ I said live and let live. about a hundred times throughout this thread. You just want to argue. I don't know why you chose me though. I didn't create the controversy.
    By this logic, you care deeply for everyone who disagrees with you in this thread.

I'm so touched.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Sure you shouldn't give up the foods you love, but eat them in moderation. Eating ice cream everyday is not moderation and is ridiculous, for anyone actually even someone not trying to lose weight.

Eating the foods you love in moderation is exactly what he recommended.

How is eating ice cream every day not moderation? Please. There are a lot of us on MFP who eat ice cream almost every day and lose weight and have great body composition.

Interestingly, if you pick out the most successful people on MFP in terms of achieving phenomenal body composition and health, they eat a lot of food people like you would consider "bad" or "unhealthy." People like Sara and Taso and Magerum are the absolute models of fitness success, and they eat things like ice cream daily.

Take your lessons from the people who display astonishing personal success and not what your preconceived ideas of "good" and "bad" food are.

I think whether it is moderation or not depends on what your calorie goal is.

If your calorie goal is 2800 or so a day, then sure, you could fit a serving of ice cream in there daily. If your calorie goal is 1400 or so, then eating a full serving of ice cream daily might make it difficult to get some of the micronutrients you need.

Just wanted to point out as well that success can be had both ways. Most of the people I know personally (not on MFP) who have the best body composition and health of the people around me, are the ones who don't really eat fast food/sugary sweets and the like.

I prefer to avoid them altogether since I find it easier and because I feel much more full and satisfied for the same amount of calories when it's primarily veggies/protein.

I started out at 1400 calories at 275lbs and still was a moderation eater. It isn't just for those who have an enormous calorie allowance.

Before anyone says anything about me not being healthy: I have lost weight, lowered my fat percent while maintaining a good amount of LBM and I no longer have to take any prescription meds.
    Options

seems legit.

First post from you:

i don't. i call food, "food". i might call McDonald's "fast food", but never "junk food". junk food is a pejorative and it is used to pass judgement on the quality of a food. obviously the food itself doesn't have feelings that can be hurt, but propagandists know the power of words and i won't concede this battle in the war against orthorexia.
    Most people call it junk food. You can call it whatever you like. Processed food, junk food, magical unicorn food, golden kibble. There are names for everything. I call it junk food as I have my entire life. Believe it or not, not everyone is walking around trying to think of clever ways to brainwash the masses by using special words to convey special meanings. Junk food is what it is. If you like it, great! If not Great! It's your digestive system. Put through it what you like!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

It's been awhile since I've posted something like this, but when the food shaming and demonizing threads creep up to certain levels (like recently) I do find it helpful to point out the other side of the story.

It's been 'a while', eh? Like what, a week?

ughhh.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mfa4r1WaKO1qiwnk8o1_500.gif

that cat doesnt look too happy with his plain bread.

he would be happier if there was nutella on it. And ice cream.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mgn2rx7v7g1ro566ko1_500.gif
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    I agree with the girl who said that some people want to eat healthy and some people want to lose weight... I also agree with the people who can't moderate... I eat clean because it's worth it to me to pass up a little sugar or junk (which is aptly named by the way..) to get the results and health I want...
  • LoveDreamSmile
    Options
    Yeah that *kitten* is disgusting..I ate that processed crap and it made me feel awful. I'd rather eat nutritious food everyday than eat unhealthy crap.