Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Then why you keep coming back to argue? If you don't care then why debate it! Geesh........ I said live and let live. about a hundred times throughout this thread. You just want to argue. I don't know why you chose me though. I didn't create the controversy.

Indeed.

One might say that you've been preaching it throughout this thread. Incessantly, even...

...in a thread titled, "Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight"...

How are you unable or unwilling to grasp the hypocrisy in this?
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I certainly didn't deprive myself when I was in weight loss mode (I tended to indulge in chocolate milk), but I did learn to really appreciate those foods that made me feel full but didn't break the caloric bank. Laying in bed and trying to sleep with a hungry stomach gets old.

I've since gone vegan, so sadly no more pop tarts for me - I will miss those, though! I may need to figure out how to make myself some vegan ones because I'm sure it can be done.

Check out chocolatecoveredkatie.com ... she has a recipe for that :)

i was just about to post that website lol i love her! i make her girl scout lara bars and holy **** they are so good!!
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I cant do moderation but that's just me personally I just have no will power so it cant be in the house lol

Me too. I have some foods that just can't be allowed in the house -- if they are, they get stashed by Boyfriend so I don't know they exist. Such foods include whole raw almonds and ice cream. At restaurants, french fries are my kryptonite.

Congratulations, OP, for being able to eat pizza pops. When Roommate brings them home and eats them the smell alone intoxicates me. I have to work really hard not to pout.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8f8ivMRfS1r32vlno1_400.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

if you want to know, I came looking for ways to stop binging. And I was able to uncover a solution. I have not binged in about 4 months. And before you go there, my binges were sometimes on vegetables or fruit, sometimes peanut butter and potato chips, what ever was within arms reach really.

you need to lose 40lbs. in 4 months you've lost 5lbs. yet you say you came here solely to prevent binging.

seems legit.

maybe, just maybe, the reason you're binging is because of your overly restrictive diet.
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me. And about my pounds lost, I have lost in inches, but not much in pounds.

Just because you have trigger foods, does not mean everyone does. Stop projecting.
    SOOOOOO answering a question is projecting? I did not say anything about ANYONE else. I am telling what goes on with ME. Get over it.

I do not think you get the concept of projecting.
    I know what projecting is. I am not projecting, I was discussing with another poster, this subject. I haven't criticized anyone, projected any thing onto anyone, or tried putting anyone through the ringer. But the usual crowd who come in only to pick apart other people are right on schedule. I said once and I will say it again, YOU eat what YOU like, and I will eat what I like. Enjoy your self.

First post from you:
    Just because "it fits your macros" that does not mean it is nutritious or good for you in any way. Eating this way is just fine for those who would like to make room for this stuff. I don't get that much enjoyment from junk so I tend to not eat it often. A pack of pop tarts and pizza make me feel drained, bloated and irritable. I like to feel good after I eat.

Calling food people eat "junk" is pretty much criticizing.
    No. You are now grasping at straws. People who LIKE it call it junk too. LOL... nice try though!

i don't. i call food, "food". i might call McDonald's "fast food", but never "junk food". junk food is a pejorative and it is used to pass judgement on the quality of a food. obviously the food itself doesn't have feelings that can be hurt, but propagandists know the power of words and i won't concede this battle in the war against orthorexia.
    Most people call it junk food. You can call it whatever you like. Processed food, junk food, magical unicorn food, golden kibble. There are names for everything. I call it junk food as I have my entire life.

Language colors outlook.
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m25qj2Mnjo1r8ycflo1_500.gif

Reading the thread & I come across this. Hilarious & disturbing at the same time. :drinker:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I would caution against processed foods. While you will lose weight if your caloric use exceeds your intake, the quality of your long term health will not improve. Ice cream and pop tarts everyday will not teach your body to burn fuel as efficiently as whole unprocessed foods. Additionally, consistently consuming foods like pop tarts and ice cream increase insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a sweet treat every now and then, but replacing your guilty pleasures with something a bit less guilty will help you long term. My former addiction? Mint chocolate chip ice cream every night religiously. I've replaced that with Greek yogurt (that comes in every flavor. Weekday breakfast? Irish oatmeal with a cup of raspberries.

I wasn't easy, but after some youtube videos and encouragement from some friends, I scaled back my relationship with processed food. I actually started seeing results, my energy levels went up, and I actually ate less. Once in a blue moon, I splurge and eat something totally indulgent. The previous commenters were correct, food shaming is out; however, I would strongly encourage you to be aware of the long term effects of pop tarts and ice cream every day. best wishes

Epic first post, welcome to the forums! :flowerforyou:

Absolute nonsense. I average between 140 - 200 g a day in sugar. As of last week my fasting blood sugar level was 71mg/dL. Sugar does NOT cause diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/#type2
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/Causes_of_Diabetes_508.pdf

For those who typically don't read sources:

Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
    People who develop type 2 diabetes are more likely to have the following characteristics:

•age 45 or older
    •overweight or obese
    •physically inactive
    •parent or sibling with diabetes
    •family background that is African American, Alaska Native, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic/ Latino, or Pacific Islander American
    •history of giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
    •history of gestational diabetes
    •high blood pressure—140/90 or above—or being treated for high blood pressure
    •high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or good, cholesterol below 35 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or a triglyceride level above 250 mg/dL
    •polycystic ovary syndrome, also called PCOS
    •prediabetes—an A1C level of 5.7 to 6.4 percent; a fasting plasma glucose test result of 100–125 mg/dL, called impaired fasting glucose; or a 2-hour oral glucose tolerance test result of 140–199, called impaired glucose tolerance
    •acanthosis nigricans, a condition associated with insulin resistance, characterized by a dark, velvety rash around the neck or armpits
    •history of CVD

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/DS01121/DSECTION=risk-factors

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/#x
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mh8wyy55nC1qhtxn1o1_500.jpg
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Run everyday like I do. That's what I do and I can eat anything I want without it affecting my weight. It helps me maintain my weight.

You are a man. Just like there are weight-lifting rules for women, there are dietary suggestions for women. Since women have 2 to 3 times the amount of leptin circulating in their blood as men do AT THE SAME LEVEL OF BODY FAT, they are much more likely to end up with leptin-resistance as men if they are not very careful with their diet. Nature, it seems, wants women to be plump (for the purposes of reproduction, no doubt) while it wants men to be strong and lean. We have a different set of recommendations to follow.

Weight lifting rules for women????

Dietary suggestions for women????

Sara, I have no words. I think it's just time to hit the ignore button
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Then why you keep coming back to argue? If you don't care then why debate it! Geesh........ I said live and let live. about a hundred times throughout this thread. You just want to argue. I don't know why you chose me though. I didn't create the controversy.

Indeed.

One might say that you've been preaching it throughout this thread. Incessantly, even...

...in a thread titled, "Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight"...

How are you unable or unwilling to grasp the hypocrisy in this?

ikr?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Stop using my picture without my permission please.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Run everyday like I do. That's what I do and I can eat anything I want without it affecting my weight. It helps me maintain my weight.

You are a man. Just like there are weight-lifting rules for women, there are dietary suggestions for women. Since women have 2 to 3 times the amount of leptin circulating in their blood as men do AT THE SAME LEVEL OF BODY FAT, they are much more likely to end up with leptin-resistance as men if they are not very careful with their diet. Nature, it seems, wants women to be plump (for the purposes of reproduction, no doubt) while it wants men to be strong and lean. We have a different set of recommendations to follow.
    I'm a woman. I'm 49. I'm not a special snowflake. I eat pretty much what I want--I wouldn't say "anything," but I sure as heck don't feel deprived (diary is open, BTW).

I went from left hand pic to right hand pic (actually, I've lost another half pound or so since that one was taken) while including pizza, wine, burgers, ice cream, and PopTarts among my food choices. It was such a contrast to when I used to try to "be good" all the time (no red meat, very little alcohol or treats) that I started telling people I was on the Beef n' Booze Diet.

So, no, we don't all have a different set of recommendations to follow. I'm certainly not the only woman here who has lost weight while continuing to eat the treats they enjoy--several others have already posted in this thread (and probably more while I was composing this).

6092675_7327.jpg6092675_9827.jpg
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

if you want to know, I came looking for ways to stop binging. And I was able to uncover a solution. I have not binged in about 4 months. And before you go there, my binges were sometimes on vegetables or fruit, sometimes peanut butter and potato chips, what ever was within arms reach really.

you need to lose 40lbs. in 4 months you've lost 5lbs. yet you say you came here solely to prevent binging.

seems legit.

maybe, just maybe, the reason you're binging is because of your overly restrictive diet.
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me.

so it's the foods fault that you ate it, therefore the food is bad???

how about your spoons, bowls, forks, and plates? do you blame them too??

IIFYM works for everybody. in fact, it is the underlying principle of EVERY successful and healthy diet. unless you do nothing but drink water for 40 days or get liposuction, if you're losing weight and not getting malnourished in the process, then you are following IIFYM even if you don't know.

clean, paleo, low carb, etc. are all "wrappers" that obscure the true cause of weight loss by adding a layer of complexity that includes all sorts of rules about what you can and cannot eat.

it's your preaching of those rules that causes this pushback. if you were to step back and understand that you really are following IIFYM and your food restrictions are a choice you've made, but not a necessity, i think you'd have a much healthier understanding of the whole process and a much better chance of avoiding binging or other problems down the road.

food restrictions which are based on nothing more than the idea that certain foods are good or bad, lead to shame and guilt when you fail to fully adhere to those high standards, which in turn can lead to real eating disorders.

I see you cant handle that someone else eats differently than you. Carry on. I almost thought there was an actual discussion going on. I see now it really just a means to attack as usual.

oh no. trust me. i don't care about you at all. not one single bit.

my comments, like most of the others on here are not aimed at you. your mind is closed and you are confident that what you believe is true. i would call that blissful ignorance, but that's really an irrelevant semantic point.

my comments are aimed at all of the lurkers who may see this thread. not all of them have their minds closed off and if my comments can prompt them to do further research before embracing unnecessary food restrictions, then i consider it worthwhile posting them here.

you can eat nothing but celery for the rest of your life and it would have ZERO effect on my life.

explaining my reasons for posting =/= arguing

i came into this thread expecting pizza, pop tarts, and ice cream and was confronted by your comments (and another woman's comments who is well know to be on an anti-carbohydrate crusade in these forums). these comments all deserve a rebuttal for the benefit of the lurkers. if you want to post in one of the paleo or clean or gluten free groups your opinions of these foods, you will NEVER find me in their arguing with your opinions. but these are public forums. the OP made a post. you disagreed with him and stated your views. i disagreed with you and stated my views. now you are upset that i had the nerve to state my views??? i'm confused. are you entitled to special privileges that i am not???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yeah that *kitten* is disgusting..I ate that processed crap and it made me feel awful. I'd rather eat nutritious food everyday than eat unhealthy crap.

I would rather eat food I like, which includes that *processed crap* as well as whole foods. Win/win.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I eat broccoli and a grapefuit every day and am still able to lose weight. :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    as long as you feel healthy, get the nutrients you need, have awesome levels/blood work and no health problems, then eat whatever you like :] i generally like to eat healthier foods, but today i had 2 slices of pizza my boss got for us. oh well lol, if it's tasty eat it. if you don't like it don't eat it. op was just trying to say that a lot of ppl think you can't eat that stuff, but really you can as long as it isn't a trigger food that can lead to binges, then try to stay away.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mlmed4tGYp1snmpfxo1_400.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Stop using my picture without my permission please.

No ™

Trademarks remain property of Crankstr, Inc, and are used only to directly describe the products being provided. Their use in no way indicates any relationship between the poster, and Crankstr, Inc.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging.

Negative, Ghost Rider, it was the lack of discipline and self control that led to the binging. Address the self control issue and the rest of weight loss is shockingly easy.

Actually, you are dead wrong. There are people with real problems where food is concerned. And believe it or not, there are ingredients in processed food that drives the appetite for many, (but perhaps not all). I removed the junk, and my problems were gone. Anytime I reintroduce the stuff, the same never ending hunger returns. You don't have to understand it. Not everyones body handles every thing the same way. Medication for example, one person can take sudafed and feel like a million bucks. Another might have a deadly allergic reaction, another might get a migraine from the stuff. The same goes for any thing that goes into the body. Some are gluten sensitive, some are not, some allergic to peanuts, some are not. I think you get the point.

Just because you have a food/beverage that makes you crave (insert food here) that craving doesn't control you hand pushing it into your mouth. We all have appetites that exceed our needs- why do you think we ended up here. ...lol

You said it best, actually- "I removed the junk and my problems were gone" See how cool it is when you take control of yourself? Nice going. It was your actions, not some condition that caused your issues. You still have your "condition" but not the problems, because you took control of yourself. Some people can control the cravings and some find it easier to keep the food out of the house... both ways work because you took control.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'm a woman. I'm 49. I'm not a special snowflake. I eat pretty much what I want--I wouldn't say "anything," but I sure as heck don't feel deprived (diary is open, BTW).

I went from left hand pic to right hand pic (actually, I've lost another half pound or so since that one was taken) while including pizza, wine, burgers, ice cream, and PopTarts among my food choices. It was such a contrast to when I used to try to "be good" all the time (no red meat, very little alcohol or treats) that I started telling people I was on the Beef n' Booze Diet.

So, no, we don't all have a different set of recommendations to follow. I'm certainly not the only woman here who has lost weight while continuing to eat the treats they enjoy--several others have already posted in this thread (and probably more while I was composing this).

6092675_7327.jpg6092675_9827.jpg

^^yep.

<--- 45 years old, eats ice cream every single day, eats pop tarts, cheesecake and candy every now and again, health markers excellent, bone density better than an average 20 year olds and kinda strong.

Works for me.