Girls who lift...what is your routine like?

Options

Replies

• WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread! I am new to lifting also so I hired a trainer for six weeks to help me with technique and figure out a routine. I am two weeks into it and LOVE it!

Eventually, I'll be splitting up my leg work into two different days... this is just to get started...

Weekly schedule includes:
    Sunday:
    Legs- Squats, Stiff Leg Deadlifts, Leg Extensions, Lunges, Calf Pulses (don't forget those calves!!)
    Abs- work with kettle bell and medicine ball such as weighted Russian Twists, etc.

Monday: REST

Tuesday:
    Chest + Back- Bench press, Incline Flies, Deadlifts

Wednesday:
    5K run

Thursday:
    Arms + Shoulders- Military Press, Power Cleans, (can't remember the others... definitely work on triceps!)
    Abs- decline situps, hanging leg raises, planks
    2K run

Friday:
    7K run

Saturday:
    1 hour bike
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    As a beginner I would reccomend doing a full-body routine 2-3 times per week with at least one day off in-between each session.

This is just something I made up myself. I do most of it in the 6-8 rep range but as a beginner you may wish to start a little higher (like 10-12 or even 15) as you get used to the moves and work on your form. Form always comes before you add weight

Workout 1

Back squat
    Straight leg deadlift
    Bench press
    Pull-ups/chin-ups (a variety of assisted/negatives/bodyweight if you can)
    Bent over row

Workout 2

Dead lift
    Walking lunges
    Weighted hip bridge
    Overhead press
    Dips (assisted)
    Upright row
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    right now...
    barbell squats
    overhead press
    barbell curls
    triceps extensions
    barbell bent over rows

I would like to find some more barbell exercises i can do that doesnt involve laying down as i do not have anything bench-like.

hip thrusts don't use a bench
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength for sure!

In fact, the routine was suggested to me by several women and some men.

Its a good routine to start with and get some basic strength going. But get a personal trainer to walk you through the exercises!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts
    Squats
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Rows
    Bench Press

I add bicep curls and tricep kickbacks just for sh1ts n giggles.

I do this pretty much, but I do dumbell press for chest instead.

I also do machines in addition. And lots of ab stuff.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I lift three times per week--my schedule is like this:

Workout A

Squat
    Dead Lift
    Overhead Press (OHP)

Workout B

Squat
    Bench Press
    Power Clean

On the third day, I do "whatever". Yesterday I did a couple of barbell complexes, sometimes it's dumbbell complexes, sometimes It's a combination of body weight and barbell or dumbbell work.

I make sure to squat that day, and sometimes I dead lift that day as well, depending on how I'm feeling. I try to do different variations of those exercises from the ones I do on the other two days, though. So I'll do something like front squats and romanian deadlifts, etc.

On all three days I try to add a few other exercises--work on pull ups, chin ups, push ups, maybe some TRX stuff and/or kettlebell work.

In between my lifting days I usually do a vo2 max style kettlebell workout and walk for an hour. I take one day off from all weight/kettlebell work. I walk that day and maybe do a bodyweight circuit that's not terribly difficult, stretch, foam roll.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Monday; Bench press, chest/shoulders/triceps day
    Tuesday; back and biceps
    Wednesday; Squat, legs
    Thursdays; Shoulders
    Friday; rest
    Saturday; deadlift, legs.

I go heavy too.. right now (4 weeks into strength season) my bench press is 135, and I do 155 negatives
    my squat is 225 and my deadlift is at least 225.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Mine is on my profile. I'm doing something a little different as the rest of the year right now because I am cutting for 2 June vacations, but the compound days are still the same. 4 days of lifting, 3 heavy, 1 light/moderate.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    right now...
    barbell squats
    overhead press
    barbell curls
    triceps extensions
    barbell bent over rows

I would like to find some more barbell exercises i can do that doesnt involve laying down as i do not have anything bench-like.

What about deadlifts?

I do back squats every work out at the gym, and deadlifts every other workout. Then add in overhead press, dumbbell bench press, assisted pull-ups, etc., depending on what equipment is free and what I'm doing at home. At home (no cage) I do front squats, SLDLs (smaller weight than ordinary deadlifts), OHP, cleans and unweighted inverted rows and push-ups.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I've never done the same routine twice.

Today's workout is 21/15/9 of overhead squats and hand release pushups followed by strength:

•Snatch: 3×2 @ 85%
    •Back squat: 2×5 @ 80%
    •Push press: 3×3 @ 85%
    •Clean deadlift: 3×5 @ 105% of Clean
    •Box jumps: 5×5 (high)

I could never follow a detailed weekly routine. I'd get so bored so fast. I prefer the way my CrossFit gym programs it... ever-changing and always a challenge.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts twice a week and also add on bicep curls, tricep dips/extensions, lunges.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I follow the Stronglifts 5x5 workouts, but I'm only doing it twice a week and increasing my weights much more slowly than the plan says since I try to do cardio/plyo workouts at least three days a week.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    right now...
    barbell squats
    overhead press
    barbell curls
    triceps extensions
    barbell bent over rows

hip thrusts don't use a bench

I think you're thinking of glute bridges. The lift generally referred to as a hip thrust does, in fact, have your shoulders up on a bench and feet on the floor.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    @OP: Do yourself a favor and buy the books Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women. Read NROLFW first, then SS and do the SS program.

Profit.

Here endeth the lesson.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    A few good routines to follow are:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    5/3/1

There is no difference between a lifting routine for men and one for women. :smile:

This.

I started with Strong Lifts 5x5. It's a really good, simple program for beginners.
  • sarahlacey1228
    Options
    Good info
  • jesgaa
    jesgaa Posts: 17
    Options
    I use this guide and it works :)

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I start with cardio as my warm up and stretch when I'm done.

Oh yeah, and I do Tabata on Mondays and PIlates on Thursdays. I just do the weights on Tues, Wed, and Friday.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    A few good routines to follow are:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    5/3/1

There is no difference between a lifting routine for men and one for women. :smile:

this^

i started of doing 5x5 but found the book 'starting strength' invaluable for tips on what i was doing wrong. amazon will let you have a sneeky peek at the first few chapters.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I follow Stronglifts 5x5, three workouts a week, M/W/F.

I lift from 7am to just after 8am, including my stretches.

I walk my dog, or go hiking on my off days.

Nothing has carved out my abs like weight lifting. My silhouette is tighter and leaner, my boobs and butt are perkier, and I love how strong I am. What's not to like?!