TDEE-20% Still seems too HIGH! So now what?!?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    That isn't too high, especially if you're working out as much as you say you are... and yeah, netting 1300 (I'm assuming you aren't eating back exercise cals) is too low for what you're doing.

Edited to add: I just checked your diary, you aren't eating back your exercise calories. You're supposed to. That's how the system is designed.

The MFP numbers and TDEE - 20% aren't that different if you do it right.

Maybe misunderstood, but this seems wrong to me.

When you use TDEE you DO NOT eat back exercise calories.

OP, eat at your TDEE-20% for 4 weeks and see how it goes. I bet you will be very happy with your results (Put the scale away until then because sometimes we gain first then lose it again when we switch to TDE method).

What he means is that if you use the MFP method correctly (eating back exercise calories) your gross should be close to the TDEE method number.

For me, MFP would give me 1420 plus exercise calories

TDEE method would give me 1600, no exercise calories. Since I'm working out and burning around 150 calories per day they're really very close.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Personally I know for a fact that my TDEE is waaaaay off. I'm a writer so I spend about 97% of the day sitting down typing. I know I barely burn 1000 calories doing my daily activity (thats not including exercise). SO I dont use TDEE and BMR. I try to eat only as much as I exercise in the day. So if I burn 1000, I will eat 1000. Its hard but it is working for me. I don't feel tired or malnourished.

Please do not post this extremely dangerous and borderline insane opinion as "fact". What you have posted isn't even close to fact and is a terrible thing to promote. Netting zero calories a day for any decent length of time is going to result in some serious health problems long-term. I bet you will be losing your hair inside of a month. Talk to someone that knows what they're doing instead of spreading misinformation around on these forums - PLEASE.

I didn't state anything as a fact. I said that it is what is working for me.

Interesting discussion considering you only started logging within the last week. How were you tracking calories before?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hello All,

Ok straight to the point, I calculated my TDEE and subtracted 20%. But it still seems kinda high and I'm trying to lose weight. Here it is:

Female 32 years old
    "5.0"
    190lbs and I exercise about 5-6 days a week

TDEE: 2492 minus 20%= 1993

I'm staying around 1300 calories per day, is that too low? If so.......Now what?!?!!???!!??

If I were you, I would eat around 1,800 calories a day (no eating of exercise calories back), make sure you are really accurate in tracking (weigh your food and measure liquids) and then see how your weight loss is over about 4 weeks. If your results are not as predicted/expected, adjust up or down as appropriate.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Personally I know for a fact that my TDEE is waaaaay off. I'm a writer so I spend about 97% of the day sitting down typing. I know I barely burn 1000 calories doing my daily activity (thats not including exercise). SO I dont use TDEE and BMR. I try to eat only as much as I exercise in the day. So if I burn 1000, I will eat 1000. Its hard but it is working for me. I don't feel tired or malnourished.

Please do not post this extremely dangerous and borderline insane opinion as "fact". What you have posted isn't even close to fact and is a terrible thing to promote. Netting zero calories a day for any decent length of time is going to result in some serious health problems long-term. I bet you will be losing your hair inside of a month. Talk to someone that knows what they're doing instead of spreading misinformation around on these forums - PLEASE.

Interesting discussion considering you only started logging within the last week. How were you tracking calories before?

Oh no Whatever would we do wihout computers?! There is this thing called a pen and paper, It's ancient and outdated I know, but they still work.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Oh no Whatever would we do wihout computers?! There is this thing called a pen and paper, It's ancient and outdated I know, but they still work.
    there ya go. Bolded to help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You are funny!

And when I say funny, I mean really rather aggressive and defensive all at the same time. Ask a simple question, and I get attitude. Have fun with your 'diet'. :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

there ya go. Bolded to help.

Completely connecting the dots to highlight (part of) the issue.
  • shumbri
    shumbri Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the poster eating low cals mean they eat 1000 if the burn 1000 (in a 24 hour period) not 1000 through calories burned from workouts? If it's this then they are netting 1000 not 0 as it appears to be in the way the post is written.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the poster eating low cals mean they eat 1000 if the burn 1000 (in a 24 hour period) not 1000 through calories burned from workouts? If it's this then they are netting 1000 not 0 as it appears to be in the way the post is written.

Netting a 1000 is still bad but no. Tl;dr, she's eating 1000cals a day or less. Supposedly her doctor told her 600cals was okay.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Netting a 1000 is still bad but no. Tl;dr, she's eating 1000cals a day or less. Supposedly her doctor told her 600cals was okay.

But only on days where she exercised for 600 calories.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

If you look at her diary, she does tend to eat the exact same amount that she logs as exercise and no more than that.

Thursday for example
    Logged intake: 1017
    Logged exercise: 1009
    Remaining calories : 1372
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ...I just checked your diary, you aren't eating back your exercise calories. You're supposed to. That's how the system is designed.

This!

Not this...people are confusing two completely different methods. Yes, they should be similar when it's all said and done, but you do NOT eat back exercise calories with TDEE method...exercise is included in your activity estimation.

MFP is a NEAT method calculator...thus exercise is NOT included in your activity level and is extra activity that needs fueling...thus you DO eat back exercise calories with the MFP (NEAT) method.

As an example...

TDEE - 20% = 2150

MFP goal = 1,850 + exercise (300 per day on avg) = 2,150 calories
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    ...I just checked your diary, you aren't eating back your exercise calories. You're supposed to. That's how the system is designed.

This!

Not this...people are confusing two completely different methods. Yes, they should be similar when it's all said and done, but you do NOT eat back exercise calories with TDEE method...exercise is included in your activity estimation.

MFP is a NEAT method calculator...thus exercise is NOT included in your activity level and is extra activity that needs fueling...thus you DO eat back exercise calories with the MFP (NEAT) method.

As an example...

TDEE - 20% = 2150

You just explained the same thing the posts you quoted were saying...(although granted your post did a better job of explaining it). The *end results* of the two methods are very similar (and, assuming consistent daily exercise, would be entirely identical).

Edit: because randomly wrong words aardvark bad.
  • wildnout14
    wildnout14 Posts: 3
    Options
    I weight the same

doodang.jpg
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

This!

As an example...

TDEE - 20% = 2150

You just explained the same thing the posts you quoted were saying...(although granted your post did a better job of explaining it). The *end results* of the two methods are very similar (and, assuming consistent daily exercise, would be entirely identical).

Edit: because randomly wrong words aardvark bad.

No kiddin. MFP (whatever it gives you + exercise calories eaten back) = (TDEE-20%)

Nowhere did I say anything about eating back cals on the TDEE method. Whichever way you go, the numbers are effectively the same, one is just less math.

....cause I hate math.

ETA: Also, I put the responsibility of actually reading about the TDEE method to the poster. If they quote that something isn't working for them, it's on them to have done the research to find that TDEE doesn't involve eating ex. calories back. If they use words, I expect them to know what they mean.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... seems like my TDEE on other sites where you plug in the information is way higher than here on MFP.

Female
    195.4 (cause apparently I gained 2.5 lbs over the weekend, for no apparent reason)
    5'1"
    5 morning workouts for 30 minutes each, plus the gym tu & thu

My base calories on here are 1300 plus my burned calories (about 235 calories m-f not counting the gym) but when I go to other sites my TDEE is about 2407 (depending on the site) so less 20% is 2006. So what is it, apprx 1525 or 2006?

My weekly average for last week was just about 1100 net, so maybe that's why I gained, cause I didn't eat enough???... but still how many calories am I supposed to eat, what MFP says (with all my workout calories, just some of my work out calories) or my TDEE -20%?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... seems like my TDEE on other sites where you plug in the information is way higher than here on MFP.

Female
    195.4 (cause apparently I gained 2.5 lbs over the weekend, for no apparent reason)
    5'1"
    5 morning workouts for 30 minutes each, plus the gym tu & thu

My base calories on here are 1300 plus my burned calories (about 235 calories m-f not counting the gym) but when I go to other sites my TDEE is about 2407 (depending on the site) so less 20% is 2006. So what is it, apprx 1525 or 2006?

My weekly average for last week was just about 1100 net, so maybe that's why I gained, cause I didn't eat enough???... but still how many calories am I supposed to eat, what MFP says (with all my workout calories, just some of my work out calories) or my TDEE -20%?

When you did your goals on MFP, did you tell it that you wanted to lose 2lb/week?
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs per week.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs per week.

Try 1lb or .5lb, and I bet with your exercise calories you'll be closer to your TDEE numbers.