150 to go, seems impossible

Options
I am new to MFP. My bro n law has lost 30 lbs. I have 150 to lose. Is that even possible? That is a whole freakin person. I am so disgusted with myself. I need to know that it is possible to do this without weight loss surgery. Any success stories or encouragement? I will take all I can get right now.

Replies

• laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have seen a ton of people who have tickers that say they have lost that and more. It is possible. I myself am looking at losing about as much as you. My first goal is down to 200lbs. Then I'll worry about tackling the rest. It's less daunting that way.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    There are so many success stories here on MFP. If you go to the success stories section, you will see people who wanted to lose just as much as you, and when they stuck with it, they did what they set out to do. It doesn't come off overnight; you've got to stick with it.
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's very doable actually. MFP is an exceptional tool on your journey to a new, healthier you!! I wish you the very best!
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I started one year ago, and am down 83... That is a small person. The task seems huge, however take it one day at a time. you can do it!
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible, and if you're motivated, you will do it! Remember that it won't happen overnight. Don't think of it as 150 pounds to lose. break it into smaller goals, say 10 or 20 pounds at a time. Set up some non food rewards for yourself, and celebrate the non scale victories (NSVs).When I lost my first 10 I bought myself some weights, and now I'm close to a 20 pound loss. I think when I get there I'll see about getting contact lenses. Add me as a friend if you want to.
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've lost 73 pounds so far, and still have 15-20 to go. It's not 150, but it's almost 100!

It's taken me a year and a half to lose those 73 pounds, and I'm fine with that. I've also gone from a size 20 to a 10, from totally sedentary to running a 10K and swimming for an hour straight. Even my skin is better. It's a long, tough road... but it's totally worth the trip!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Of course it is possible just don't expect it to happen overnight! This is a marathon not a race - set yourself a series of smaller goals all those little steps soon add up! Take pictures and measurements to keep you motivated, it shouldn't all come from the scale! Good luck with your journey!:drinker:
  • angied1226
    angied1226 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have lost 130+ so far and I have another 80 to go. It is 100% possible. You need to believe it and do it. It turns into a game after you start and it can be kind of fun manipulating what you do/eat to see results. You already completed step 1, now lets get started on steps 2-150 :).
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Of course it is possible! If you put your mind to it, you can really achieve that goal. I started my weight loss journey at 319 pounds. Joined MFP at 300-298 pounds, and have lost 70 pounds since joining here. Joining here is a great start, but you will need to really commit to it in order for it to work. YOU have the power to achieve your goal. Remember that!
  • sheshappynow
    sheshappynow Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    it is very possible and add me if you would like some motivation along your journey
  • nomesw84
    nomesw84 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible!

Try setting yourself small goals, it makes it easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel :smile: really helps with the motivation each time you meet one!

Feel free to add me if you need some support, I still have a way to go, but nearly a quarter of the way to my target, that seemed impossible at first!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 125 pounds. I haven't seen the scale move yet but one of these days it should.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It is possible! the success stories prove that to me everyday. But if you keep looking at that huge number you will get discouraged so break it up set small goals, change your life not just your weight. I have at least that to loos myself but its not gonna happen tomorrow so just take one day at a time. Almost everyone on my friend's list has lost or is trying to loose over 75 pounds most have lost 100 plus, so you are not alone. And yes it is possible!
  • FishingGuy75
    FishingGuy75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I lost 170 pounds a few years back. Why I regained it is a topic for a different post though.

The thing that made me sucessful is not looking at it as one massive undertaking. I've done that and failed. Losing 10 pounds - 15 or 17 or 20 times makes it more more manageable. Take the first step and lose 10 pounds and reward yourself somehow. Then start working on the next 10 and so on.

Good Luck and make sure you have a good support network!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible. I've seen one guy who's lost over 300lbs. If he can do it, so can you.

My biggest tip - break it down into smaller chunks. Fifty pounds is much less daunting than 150. Keep an eye on the end goal but don't focus on it solely. Reward yourself along the way and most of all, be patient.

Good luck on your journey!
  • tiadamscisco
    tiadamscisco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    About 2 years ago I was exactly where you are today. I went the surgery route and 4 days before my surgery the Dr. found something wrong with me that would have made the surgery extremely high risk so he cancelled it. I spent a year thinking it was impossible. Last August my Dr. asked me to track my blood glucose level after I ate and then learn to only eat food that my blood "reacted well to". It took me a while to learn what I could and couldn't tolerate (based on my glucose levels) and from August to now I have lost 60 lbs, just doing that (not counting a single calorie). I am here today because I have another 60 to go and I had hit a wall on the loss. Lesson is, it IS doable without surgery, takes a new perspective and discipline and accountability. BTW, 60lbs you WILL feel like a new person and the last 60 you will be a new person. Good Luck.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP. My bro n law has lost 30 lbs. I have 150 to lose. Is that even possible? That is a whole freakin person. I am so disgusted with myself. I need to know that it is possible to do this without weight loss surgery. Any success stories or encouragement? I will take all I can get right now.

lots of people on my FL lost around 100. Use the search button to search that number and you'll find threads with pics. 80 is another popular number. So what if I never saw anyone here yet with a 150 lb weight loss. I've only been here a short time and you could be my first. So just get those threads as inspiration and focus on the just 100 for now. Then once you get closer to there, see how "impossible" it seems. I bet you'll think it's easier once you're there.:flowerforyou: