what do u put in ur oats?

Options

Replies

• LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i'm learning to eat oats. I don't really like oats but i need to (coz i'm so lazy to cook -.-'' ) today,i mixed my oats with apple and it taste..weird..what did u guys put in ur oats? if i don't mix it with anything it taste just plain old oats :(

I make then with water and a pinch of salt then add blueberries and almonds
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Bacon and your preferred sweetener. Sweet + Salty + Meaty = Yum
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    cheese, veggie sausage, and herbs. i cook it in a low sodium stock and it turns out almost like a breakfast risotto. so good and an nice shift away from the usual sweet oats.

Yum. If I wasn't vegetarian I would so go for that. But, I come close. I put onion powder, garlic powder, sometimes a couple scoops of nutritional yeast and sometimes a soy burger. It's also very good and it keeps me going for hours sometimes I forget and miss my lunch schedule.

i'm a vegetarian! :D that's why i said veggie sausage, hehe. it's really good without cheese too. nutritional yeast is super tasty :)
  • ficklesoul
    ficklesoul Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't have oatmeal everyday but when I do I usually like to add fruits and nuts, sweetener(either honey, stevia, dates or sugar free davinci syrup) and some grounded flaxseed. Sometimes I added a scoop of whey to upped the protein. If I wanted something chocolaty I would add 1-2 squares of dark chocolate with some nutty butters. If I make overnight oat I would add at least a teaspoon of chiaseed and it would come out tasting like a very delicious pudding. On my lazy days I just add them to my smoothie lol..

If you want something to indulge you can try making Heather's carrot cake oatmeal. So delicious! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DeBRM44F7s

Here's some recipe and ideas for overnight oatmeal. http://gettingahealthybody.tumblr.com/post/30644434366/what-is-overnight-oats-overnight-oats-oo-is
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well I can make some really great marijuana oatmeal cookies.
    Here's the recipe if anybody is interested.

http://www.theweedblog.com/how-to-make-marijuana-oatmeal-cookies/

*I only add one cup of sugar instead of two.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Any of these: dried cranberries, raisins, truvia, a tbsp. of maple syrup, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, diced apples, cinnamon, ground flaxseed, sliced peach
  • AnderMama88
    AnderMama88 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and stevia most days, but if I have spare calories I add a banana or blackberries instead. And I've just started pouring a little of my morning coffee into the oatmeal. Mmmmm :)
  • maryhannold
    maryhannold Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Google "overnight oats". Some yummy ideas.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    Depends.. 1 cup of cooked oats with Splenda and strawberry jelly, sometimes I'll add peanut butter.. I also make with my protein powder, throw in some fruits.. Make it with vanilla almond milk and throw in cinnamon
  • milozara
    milozara Posts: 24
    Options
    oh wow.. I hate eating oats , but I think I will give a try this week. you guys have good ideas to make it taste better. Not sure about adding whey tho.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm using salt (got to have salt), chopped apricots and prunes, pumpkin seeds and chopped hazelnuts, and serving with a dollop of quark.
  • milozara
    milozara Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you.... :) my life will never be the same.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I used to cook steel cut oats with salt, stevia, cinnamon, frozen blueberries, and sometimes walnuts.

These days I just cook Better Oats instant oatmeal. It's quick (90 secs in the microwave) and very tasty.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I used to cook steel cut oats with salt, stevia, cinnamon, frozen blueberries, and sometimes walnuts.

These days I just cook Better Oats instant oatmeal. It's quick (90 secs in the microwave) and very tasty.

steel cuts oats are so much better for you than instant oats it's ridiculous. research the process of making instant oatmeal, they basically beat it into nothingness.

i have steel cut oats every morning, and i think it's pretty easy:

at night, i boil them for one minute. then i turn off the heat, sleep, and heat it up on low for about 7 minutes in the morning. since there's no work required other than turning on the stove, it's easy. i use the 7 minutes to make the rest of my breakfast (and coffee).
  • MackieMotivation
    MackieMotivation Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat oats a few morning a week, I usually alternate between the list below:

nkd infused raisins
    fresh berries
    apple
    bannana
    chopped nuts

I'm lucky because I actually love porridge and enjoy it plain aswell. additionally I've found that adding the fruit before I cook the oats means you end up witha fruity sauce swirled through your porridge, apple works great like this!
  • falilvx
    falilvx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    sliced apples and chinnamon. Yes chinnamon.

Yes chinnamon. I like that!! :P
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Cook them in water. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and sometimes bananas or strawberries. Yummm. :)
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Oats are so versatile! If eating them in the morning, I make them with water...then add a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon or some pure maple syrup. I also make savoury ones, add some caramelized onions, some herbs and spices...or some cheese and herbs. There are TONS of ideas out there. Making some today with spring onions and soy sauce for lunch today. YUMMY!
  • falilvx
    Options
    I throw in 1 scoop of protein powder [So far Ive used Chocolate & Cookies n Cream.. both good. Experiment! :) ]
    As well as 140grams of frozen fruit

Aka Proats

Give it a try.. just use whatever protein and fruit you prefer.
    I used chocolate PP with Strawberries the first time i tried it.

2wnut8l.jpg
    cookies n cream PP with Mixed Berries

the oat looks delicious,may i have one bowl ? :P
  • falilvx
    Options
    Steel cut oats taste A LOT better than regular oatmeal (which tastes like paste, ugh!). I add diced apple, which is just enough sweetener, and sometimes add dry roasted/toasted-in-a-pan sesame seeds.

yeah,i hear a lot of ppl said that.and yes!!that's what i'm trying to say,paste!!lol unfortunately,i'm living in rural area so they don't have much stuff to sell here -.- yesterday,when i went shopping all of the supermarket have run out of aka yogurt -.- seriously i hate this town :P