This sounds really dumb as I type it out

Options
13»

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    So you've never eaten chocolate? Ever?
    Not in more amounts than I've had milk or ice cream.

I think an allergy test is a good idea. My son had one and they can be pretty specific with things that they are testing.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You can get Diary free chocolate, If you can't have Diary i would suggest having that next time. I wouldn't want to risk anything.
    Think I'm going to just cut out chocolate altogether and test that.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i love how many people misread your question and are treating you like you're the idiot because they thought you were asking about chocolate milk.

But sadly, it's true. It contains dairy, and I think you already know, since you're experiencing a reaction, that that means you can't have it.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    I have a daughter that has extreme reactions to anything dairy, even cross contamination. We have gotten really good at reading labels. Diary can be listed as many things.

There are many dark chocolate bars and dark chocolate chips that are dairy free, but not all of them, so read... read... read.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    i love how many people misread your question and are treating you like you're the idiot because they thought you were asking about chocolate milk.

But sadly, it's true. It contains dairy, and I think you already know, since you're experiencing a reaction, that that means you can't have it.

You made me smile, thank you (:
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm here for you if you have any chocolate that needs eating :)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

That happends alot
  • ficklesoul
    ficklesoul Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You can try switching to carobs if you're allergic to chocolate or cocoa. A friend of mine has cocoa/chocolate allergen and she switches to carob. May not taste the same as chocolate but pretty close I heard. I think they make carob bars these days. If there isn't any and you need a chocolate fix you can just make your own carob bar. It usually calls for a few ingredients like carob powder + coconut oil(to solidify). Heather from Healthy vegan had made some. I'll just link you to her webbie http://www.healthyveganrecipes.net/video/homemade-chocolate-recipe

Found these 3 on pinterest. Hope it would help you with your choc fix :D

http://sketch-freeveganeating.blogspot.com/2010/12/homemade-unsweetened-carob-chips-vegan.html
    http://sweetroots.blogspot.com/2012/07/mommy-monday-3-ingredient-carob-bars.html
    http://www.foodiefiasco.com/healthy-homemade-chocolate/
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I know your problem!!!

Milk comes from the tit of another animal species with 4 legs and 4 stomachs that eats grasses all day(or is supposed to) and it secretes a substance from modified sweat glands to feed it's young, not it's adults....

We have just decided to largely accept this as something we'd like to try too...freaks that we are...but we won't take our own species' milk when we're adults...weird...
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hiya. You mentioned mucus. Does it drip down the back of ur throat? I had this for years and decided that the mucus may be too thick so therefore I tried drinking more water. AND IT WORKED! If u do suffer with this problem and u need instant relief, suck on a cough lozenge - my previous doctor suggested this. He said it would cut thru the mucus and sure enough it did.

My son is allergic to colour additives 122, 123 and 124 red food colouring. I was never able to really narrow it down when he was a toddler but now he's 27 he tell's me that he knows as soon as he's had one of these additives as his gullet starts to feel sticky with mucus and he feels awful and nauseous. If he has enough of the additive he will vomit. Poor little bugger must have felt like rubbish when a toddler but unable to tell me. I've bought chocolate fish without a thought but of course the insides are pink; most of Gregg's Instant Puddings here in NZ have 124 additive so that wipes them out; and then of course there are the expected - raspberry soda, raspberry cordial, jellybeans (I think this includes the black ones as well). I bought some marinated chicken nibbles about 6 mths ago and sure enough the marinade had one of those additives in it.

My advice is to test, test and test yourself. From memory to do it properly you are meant to take urself off everything except the bland food such as potato so that nothing else can affect the test. Then you slowly introduce the suspect food. Try doing a search on the internet to see how to do this. I have but this one is different to the method I remember of many years ago LOL http://www.care2.com/greenliving/diy-food-intolerance-allergy-test.html?page=6#13685192409311&action=collapse_widget&id=9807424

Personally I think ur on the right track. Trust ur gut instinct - both my son and I did. GOOD LUCK!!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    M&S do a "free from" chocolate, but I would recommend trying some dark chocolate as it is good for women. It stops us going crazy and buying shoes all the time:laugh: Also, the iron in dark chocolate is more easily absorbed than the iron in vegetable - obviously there's not so much of it, but us women need all the iron we can get!:wink:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you were allergic to it, you would break out in hives. being itchy, abdominal pain, anaphylactic shock.... stuffy nose would be least of your problems

there are different classes of severity of allergic reactions, at the lower levels, you won't get all those symptoms. Anaphylactic shock is the most severe level, most people with allergies don't go into anaphyactic shock. Even hives and abdominal pain don't happen in milder allergic reactions. Stuffy nose and other cold/hay fever type symptoms are common with allergic reactions and in mild allergic reactions might be the only symptoms.... and hay fever is an allergic reaction to pollen, asthma can result from inhaling allergens, so some people who are allergic to pollen will get asthma as well as hay fever symptoms, but that does not mean that someone with only hay fever symptoms in response to inhaling pollen is not allergic to pollen, only that it's a milder allergy.

Mild allergic reactions are the hardest to track down in terms of what's causing them, because there's usually a delay between eating the food (or exposure to an airbourne allergen) and the symptoms. In the OP's case it sounds like she has a mild allergy to dairy, (but not that mild, seeing as the small amount of milk in milk chocolate can set it off), and she was clear of symptoms when avoiding all sources of dairy, but it suddenly came back after eating the milk chocolate.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Thank you, Thank you, most of you are all so wonderful and understanding. I really appreciate you guys taking the time and effort sharing your experiences and knowledge.

I certainly have a better understanding of allergies now!