Anyone Learn to Lift Heavy without a Trainer?

Options
124»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    thedailyhiit.com

they have great videos on form work- most of them translate over into lifting heavier things- but cross referance a move - just google/youtube and you'll be able to tell quickly what is rubbish and what is good information.

one of the biggest problems isn't that the information isn't out there- it's just YOU have no idea what XX move is called. So once you figure out what they are called you can research them more :)
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I had a trainer for a few months and have learned form, but need nutritional advice, there's a lot of good resources on here.
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Bump for later- I'm in the same boat!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Did you learn to lift heavy without a trainer? Yes I searched online and I am on the NROLFW

If yes, do you have any pointers/tips that you have learned? Mirrors are your best friend for posture

What does your schedule look like? How do you incorporate other sports/cardio (I would like to still do my yoga, HIIT and I mountain bike with my husband...but I am afraid of "over training.") Weight days are MWF and cardio on Tueday (zumba)

Also, When you started lifting how was your diet effected? How much protein and calories did you have to eat? I am not worried about the scale number, but I don't want to regain body fat! no effect on my diet, just had a protein bar on days I do weights.

Finally, my last question is this... I can't find anyone to work out with me sad so I wont have a "spotter" or anything. Did any of you have to go it alone? Do I need a spotter if I am not using a barbell? I do it alone but when I get to the heavier weights I ask either someone who works at my gym or my BF to spot me....never can be too careful
  • heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get a session with a trainer. Lots of gyms out there will let you pay for a session without joining the gym. This way you can learn the basic mechanics of lifting. "Packing" your shoulders, keep your core tight, how to keep a flat back on lifts, pushing through the heels in squats, etc.
    There's lots of visuals on videos, but it's a different deal when you actually have to perform them yourself and can't see your own form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I was at the gym the other day and got to watch a trainer with a client between my lifting sessions. They were using the squat rack next to me, and it was obviously their first (and I hope only) session. The PT loaded the noob up with 145 lb, placed the bar with a foam squat sponge on the guy's neck, and off he went. The client did about 8 wobbly quarter-squats with the bar traveling in a figure 8--I got to see this, the trainer did not, because I was watching the client from the side and the trainer was cheering him on from behind.

I come to powerlifting from years of yoga, where alignment and form were emphasized heavily. Reading Starting Strength after yoga anatomy books was easy and intuitive. (I am reasonably sure that my form is close to decent, but I would still want to shoot a video of myself lifting to be certain of this.) If you do not have any background in any discipline that teaches you about your body's relationship to gravity and how to avoid injuries, I recommend reading a good book (such as Starting Strength, or NROLFW) and then looking for a trainer WHO KNOWS WHAT S/HE IS DOING. The only way you can be sure the trainer knows what is going on is by doing some advance homework yourself. Otherwise it is a waste of your time and money and can do you more harm than good.

There is more than one "correct" way to do things, but there are many more wrong ways to lift.
    ^^ I agree with both of these guys. Interview the trainer and make certain he understands your goals and what you want to accomplish (in your case, minimal sessions, work on form, get a routine going). Even better would be to get a recommendation from someone who has used his/her services. It also wouldn't hurt to schedule another session say a month or so out. I know my form gets "sloppy" when I'm on my own.
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Lots of good info here :) Thank you for posting!! I just ordered NROLFW and also dont have access to any gym or trainer :/
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sansbuda
    sansbuda Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Did you learn to lift heavy without a trainer?
    Yes, still learning, using books and videos. When my time opens up I'll be able to get with a trainer.
    If yes, do you have any pointers/tips that you have learned?
    Watch the videos, start with low weights, and don't be afraid to use real freeweights, and not dopey machines. I used machines for years, it wasn't until I started using free weights that I actually started getting stronger.
    What does your schedule look like? How do you incorporate other sports/cardio (I would like to still do my yoga, HIIT and I mountain bike with my husband...but I am afraid of "over training.")
    You won't overtrain. Overtraining is an issue competing athletes have, not your avg. weekend warrior.
    My schedule looks like:
    M,W,F - lift.
    T, Th - Box or shoot I add boxing days if I am carrying more aggression than normal.
    Sat, Sunday - cook and have fun because I'm awesome.

Also, When you started lifting how was your diet effected? How much protein and calories did you have to eat? I am not worried about the scale number, but I don't want to regain body fat!
    I get hungrier some days less hungry on others. Just depends, I don't really go crazy with eating on lifting days though, no point to it. I just make sure I have good protein in me, and I love protein. Lots of delicious animal flesh.
    Finally, my last question is this... I can't find anyone to work out with me :sad: so I wont have a "spotter" or anything. Did any of you have to go it alone? Do I need a spotter if I am not using a barbell?
    I don't have a spotter, just means I can't up my bench to 180, which I can get 3/4 of a rep out of. I want to get a full rep... too dangerous IMO without a spotter. I also don't need a spotter for squat, as I use a big power rack at the Y. No spotting needed for deadlifts or rows either. So I only do one lift where I need a spotter. The bench. I'll progress slowly on it for sure until I can get a spotter.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump

Thanks, OP, for a great question, and thanks to everyone for the great responses.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Yup, 100% without a trainer. Most gym trainers don't have a clue and you'll notice that because most have their clients on machines and doing bodyweight stuff. Or maybe you'll see them do lunges with DB's or a pre-made BB on their back. That's about it usually.
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i work out at home and I use Stonglift 5x5 on my iphone but i use dumbells, i started out light and i am now up to 35 lbs each. i also have Fitness Buddy on my phone and that has every exercises for barbells and dumbells. i use this a lot to make sure i'm doing them correctly. Stonglifts is 3 times per week. i also do yoga and HIIT. i have noticed a big difference since i started lifting.... you can do it and good luck!! :smile: