"You're so lucky to be so thin"

Options

Replies

• jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thank you, OP for starting this topic...there are so many good points everyone has made and comebacks to remember for the next snooty comment I hear. :tongue:
    I am by no means perfect in my diet or exercise routine, but I have lost 10 lbs this year (with just basic calorie watching and some limited trips to the gym). However, around the holidays last year my mom commented to several people standing around the buffet table that my husband and I are health nuts :huh: Then later on she told me I was lucky I don't have a weight problem :huh: folks, I was at least 30 lbs over (which may not be a weight problem to some), but I didn't like the direction my lifestyle habits were taking me. This may sound like an excuse to some, but it's hard for me to have the energy to get up and do because I am still fighting cancer. I am tired all the time, but I swear if I can get my butt off the couch and do any type of exercise - than anybody can do it. Even if you can't workout, most people can practice portion control. My mom has told me she was jealous of me for other things, guess this is part of it too, but her feelings are hers to deal with - in other words, people with mean things to say are the ones with the problem, not us.

I am sorry to the chronically thin people who have posted on this thread...I do hope you reach your goals as well - I honestly, cannot imagine the frustration of trying to gain weight, as gaining seems to be easy for most people. I would get sick/tired of others making comments about me being skinny/thin too.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Drives me nuts when people say why are you eating only healthy food, you're thin as it is. I eat healthy food because I like it. I go to the gym because there's some body composition changes I want to make & I like the way it feels. I don't make comments about them being chubby & constantly eating fast food at work /end rant

Thank you!! Why do soooo many people have a problem with people who like to eat healthy foods? It's not like we are making them eat it. There is nothing wrong with liking fruits and veggies...
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Im down this road for a second time after gaining 70 lbs with my pregnancy. I lost 105 lbs the first time. I couldn't STAND when people said that to me. They just assume I don't do squat to be that thin. Or when im at a bbq and don't pig out on junk food...people say, Oh your so think why are you so worried about eating, eat something! UGH...That's why I was 230 lbs in the first place...because I ate junk. If I start that again ill blow up in no time! People...I think they are just jealous.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I understand OP. For me it's the same but different. Where you are "lucky" I have over heard people say and have also been asked that I must be on steriods or if I am on them. I just laugh and simply reply its all in the diet and exercise but some folks are ignorant to that and just continue to assume other wise anyways, LOL srlsy. With these type of folks they cannot perceive others to look a certain fit way out with out some sort of pill or other substance to magically transfrom them. Heaven forbid hard work and a good diet can do all that.
    Well thank you supplement industry for all your bs propaganda & mind ******* people! lol.

Edit: Yes I know I need a tan.. thank you. haha
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, before I started dieting I would look at a lot of people and think that, "They're so lucky, they're skinny and here I am, fat".
    But then I got up and started working my *kitten* off, and now I really do realize that a lot of people who are thin weren't born that way, and for all I know, they're doing exactly what I do now.

Exactly. That's been my motivation lately. I saw this really attractive girl at my work the other day in workout gear and she was super thin - then I thought she does the same thing I'm doing!
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan on anybody making comments about anybody else's body. We come in all shapes and sizes. Some part of it is natural, and some of it is hard work.

When people do make this comment to me, I try to approach it with empathy rather than anger. I remind them that I am vegetarian, bike to work every day and spend my weekend with > 35lbs and a rope strapped to my back hiking to cliff faces, and then dumping the pack to scale a cliff. Do I do that to stay thin? Not really. I do that because I enjoy it. The result is being thin (and muscular). Can everybody do that or something similar? Sure. But I don't blame them if they don't. And people usually enjoy learning about my climbing excursions and nutrition ideas.

Try to turn it into a positive. They are paying you a compliment and you may end up inspiring someone.
  • nroth57
    nroth57 Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't understand why "you're so lucky to be so thin" is a rude comment? I think it's likely that person trying to compliment you without being awkward...? If I heard that and I have, I say thank you because I assume its them complimenting me and then I tell them I run everyday and eat good and that helps. Because I don't see it as them assuming I just burn a billion calories by existing. I see it as "wow, you've got it together, lucky. that's awesome." Maybe I am naive, but I am not offended when someone takes notice. I work hard and I turn down treats a lot. but in my mind, they dont need to know that. for me, I don't mind at all that they think it's effortless! I'm not working hard for them so I am not looking for any sort of acknowledgment on that...but sure, I will take a compliment on the end result! :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why "you're so lucky to be so thin" is a rude comment? I think it's likely that person trying to compliment you without being awkward...? If I heard that and I have, I say thank you because I assume its them complimenting me and then I tell them I run everyday and eat good and that helps. Because I don't see it as them assuming I just burn a billion calories by existing. I see it as "wow, you've got it together, lucky. that's awesome." Maybe I am naive, but I am not offended when someone takes notice. I work hard and I turn down treats a lot. but in my mind, they dont need to know that. for me, I don't mind at all that they think it's effortless! I'm not working hard for them so I am not looking for any sort of acknowledgment on that...but sure, I will take a compliment on the end result! :)

Often times they aren't complimenting the person they're saying that to. They think you're thin because it's easy for you. There's a difference between "Oh, you're so lucky that you're thin" and "Wow, you look great!" Often the thin comment is said in a disparaging or dismissive way.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've never said that to anyone, however I have to say it makes me sick to see a thin person that eats garbage all the time and never gains a pound. I however can tell the difference with a naturally thin person that is not healthy, and a person that works hard to maintain a healthy weight and body.

Wow, what a condescending thing to say. Did you totally miss the point of the post?

When I was a young teenager, I could not gain weight, no matter what I tried. I was VERY thin. But healthy and active. Some people were so rude, constantly made ignorant comments, alluded to eating disorders. I would eat anything and everything I could, all the time, including "garbage", just to try to get some curves. I was so self conscious and insecure, I HATED my body. I would have done anything to put on 5 lbs. And it was the judgemental people in the background saying "it makes me sick to see how thin you are" that made me feel even worse.

Ugh. That comment just took me right back to 7th grade.

this is the thing i STILL get to this day.

So unbelievably rude. No one's allowed to say "Wow, you got fat" without being considered rude, but they're allowed to comment unsolicited on anyone who's thin. A woman at work told me to "Go eat a candy bar" and I was so shocked I didn't know what to do. It really hurt my feelings and made me very insecure. To have your body judged and commented on by anyone that feels like dropping a comment isn't fun for anyone, regardless of weight. Everyone has their own issues.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    Options
    Often the thin comment is said in a disparaging or dismissive way.

I have never felt that anybody ever said this to me as a put down. It's always been more along the lines of 'I wish I could be like you'.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    Options
    To have your body judged and commented on by anyone that feels like dropping a comment isn't fun for anyone, regardless of weight. Everyone has their own issues.

True. It's not nice to make comments about other people's bodies. Period. As women, we are subject to it and judged by our bodies all the time. It's not healthy.
  • jackoninny
    jackoninny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of something Royce Gracie said back in the old UFC days. When someone said he had a lucky win, he would reply something like, "Maybe so, but the more I train, the luckier I get."
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I've never said that to anyone, however I have to say it makes me sick to see a thin person that eats garbage all the time and never gains a pound. I however can tell the difference with a naturally thin person that is not healthy, and a person that works hard to maintain a healthy weight and body.

Wow, what a condescending thing to say. Did you totally miss the point of the post?

When I was a young teenager, I could not gain weight, no matter what I tried. I was VERY thin. But healthy and active. Some people were so rude, constantly made ignorant comments, alluded to eating disorders. I would eat anything and everything I could, all the time, including "garbage", just to try to get some curves. I was so self conscious and insecure, I HATED my body. I would have done anything to put on 5 lbs. And it was the judgemental people in the background saying "it makes me sick to see how thin you are" that made me feel even worse.

Ugh. That comment just took me right back to 7th grade.

Time to grow up then! You were unhealthy, as I said, eating garbage to put on weight is not healthy.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The more I work at diet and exercise, the luckier I get at being in shape.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do feel there are people who have a genetic predisposition to gain weight, and I grew up being bitter that I was one those people. I do have things that I am lucky to have, though. I am lucky to have a Mom who got me into fitness and working out. I might not have gotten into working out if I was naturally thin, and working out makes me so much healthier and happier. Sure, sometimes it's annoying that I have to work really hard to be thin, and it just comes naturally to some people, but I'm often healthier and stronger than those people. My parents work hard to be healthy and fit, and I'm glad that I had them as an example. They look really good for their age, and people tell me I look younger than I am, so I really shouldn't be complaining about my genetics.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    That's when I reply: Lucky is what lazy people call dedicated people.

that's obsession
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those people that would look at someone and say "you are so lucky to be thin and skinny. Must be nice to not have to wear xl". :grumble: At one point I was ready to throw in the towel and continue letting my myself get bigger but that changed with my son.

But now:
    I can't wait for someone to say it to me, because then I can whip out my engagement photo and say "you see this? That was me at 243, and with watching what I eat and exercising I'm now this and I beat some odds." And then just watch the jaws drop.:bigsmile:

Side note though: when I went into the doctor for an eye infection last week, she asked me if I had done weight watcher's or anything of the sort and the expression was priceless when I told her "nope. Those diets in my opinion don't work. I watch my calories, portion size, and exercise." :laugh:
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Wat.

I hate when people say this to me. I somewhat understand in the cases people that eat McDonald's every day and never go to the gym but I hate when people assume I'm one of those "naturally skinny" people. Most of the people that say this to me are fat and too lazy to do anything about it so they make excuses for themselves by thinking that everyone that's skinny is naturally that way.

I put a lot of time and effort to see these results. I fast all day, train fasted, then eat one meal that I meticulously plan to fit my macros within at least 3% and I always come in under my calorie goal (except for structured refeed every few months). I'm not complaining because I love doing it and I'm more than happy with my progress but I feel like people don't understand that this has taken a lot of time and thought. It's almost insulting to hear that I'm "lucky" when really I'm just hard working and dedicated.
    /rant

Anyone else experience this?

I just remember what it felt like to be in a carb induced coma when people mention how "skinny" I'm getting. I thank them and tell them I'm working hard to be healthier to keep up with my kid.

I'd just tell them, "wasn't luck" and smile. You can't let their insecurity hurt you.
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    Wat.

I hate when people say this to me. I somewhat understand in the cases people that eat McDonald's every day and never go to the gym but I hate when people assume I'm one of those "naturally skinny" people. Most of the people that say this to me are fat and too lazy to do anything about it so they make excuses for themselves by thinking that everyone that's skinny is naturally that way.

I put a lot of time and effort to see these results. I fast all day, train fasted, then eat one meal that I meticulously plan to fit my macros within at least 3% and I always come in under my calorie goal (except for structured refeed every few months). I'm not complaining because I love doing it and I'm more than happy with my progress but I feel like people don't understand that this has taken a lot of time and thought. It's almost insulting to hear that I'm "lucky" when really I'm just hard working and dedicated.
    /rant

Anyone else experience this?

Sometimes, people are lucky to be thin. My brother doesn't work out. He eats what he wants and stays rail thin. He has to work to gain weight. He's been that way all our lives while I'vee always been one to look at a doughnut and gain weight. The difference is in the way our bodies are shaped and built. My brother is built like my mom's family, tall and thin. I'm built like my dad's family, round. If I want to be thinner, I have to work at it. I don't think it is fair, but who said life was fair and I value things that I work for more than I value things that I can do easily. But for some people, they won the genetic lottery and don't have to work at it at all. (This would be my brother.)

Obviously, you fall into a category of having to work for your body and you should be proud of it. You should definitely tell the people who say you're lucky about your accomplishments. :)
  • DopeyDudleyDursley
    Options
    Yeah I would say unless it is someone close to you that knows you are working hard, I wouldn't get upset if someone were to say you're so lucky to be so thin. I would just take it as a compliment (even if a little back-handed). Say thanks and mention you have worked hard and unfortunately can't eat whatever you want though.
    Just my $.02.