Worst Wedding You've Ever Attended

Options

Replies

• Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    In Mauritian culture, if your henna's darker than the bride's, the bride is practically screwed.

So guess whose cousin's stopped talking to her right after the wedding day? :laugh: she gave me evil looks all throughout the wedding and didn't even give me a thank you gift to take back home (the wedding was in France and I went on behalf of my mum and brother)

My other cousin just got married in Mauritius and the wedding is going to last for 8 DAYS! His mum called us one Saturday morning asking us to pay towards the wedding!! We received no invitation, they've talked a load of BS about us, and they never talk to us, even though we help them out. I kindly told my aunt that she's stupid for having an 8 day wedding...let's see if the marriage will last just as long.

With Mauritian weddings, it's a competition; who can invite the most guests, who's wedding is more elaborate, who can serve the most food, etc., but they never consider the amount of debt they run into afterwards. Some of my family members are still paying off for their weddings seven years ago!

I went to my "friend's" wedding about 3 years ago, and she stopped talking to me the day after. Deleted me off fb and didn't even reply to my message when I thanked her for inviting my mum and myself. Oh, and she placed us right at the back, in the corner, near the dishes.

So that's three people I won't invite to my wedding then lol
  • XoXoLJFitness
    Options
    I ALWAYS recommend having a wedding planner and/or coordinator even if it is just for the Day-Of. You can really focus on yourself and your guests rather than worrying about a endless list of items that the wedding planner/coordinator can take care of.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    lmbo! That's cray!

Well, my cousin's wedding she ran out of food!!!! People were still showing up and she ran out of food!!!! WTF?! Lucky for me I ate before I went to the wedding, but if I didn't, I'd have been pissed. People were still showing up to the wedding and some didn't eat! It wasn't open bar, but they had all you can drink canned beers I think. The topper was that at the end, she was making everyone help her clean the place up!!!! LMAO

Apparently, with every party she throws she volunteers everyone to do ****, from what I hear. She appoints tasks to people. I get it if you're on a budget and all, but some people shouldn't have parties. If you can't be a gracious or generous host, then maybe just tone it down and not have a party.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    So, I am planning my wedding and have been researching proper wedding etiquette like a hawk.

Tell me the worst wedding you've ever attended and why.

I'll start...

I went to my "friend's" wedding last summer, in which she had several etiquette breaches, starting with the invitations. I, fortunately, was invited to the entire wedding- ceremony, reception, and dance....my cousin, a mutual friend, was invited to just the dance part...(rolls eyes)

I also had a long term boyfriend and he was not listed on the invitation, which I thought must have been a mistake, so I called and asked if I could bring him- which she said was fine....but 2 weeks before the wedding, she told me not to.

Well, I showed up at the wedding...the ceremony was nice...but afterwards we had to wait almost THREE HOURS to eat! and it was a CASH BAR! I didn't bring any money to the wedding, so I couldn't drink anything...huge bummer...

And then the food was horrendous...the chicken was so dry that I didn't even finish it- which is a big deal for me because I am a pig and will eat anything set in front of me...

And then the dance started and all they played was theme songs to Star Wars, Ghost Busters, and Star Trek....

I left at that point...I had enough of that. I had such a bad time and it was really boring with having very few people there that I knew.

And then she deleted me on FB a week later, I am assuming due to me not bringing her a big fancy gift. I tried talking to her to see what was up but she ignored phone calls and texts.

What's your worst wedding story?

I would say that she blocked you from facebook and stopped talking to you because you left her wedding mid way.
    I have been to a few crazy weddings but if they are my friends I will put up with it. Sure it's only a day. Lots of drinking helps lol.
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I dislike cash bars even though I am in the UK. We are having an open bar because the guests are people that i love and I would rather treat them nice than wear a designer dress.

Worst wedding things that I have experienced so far (sorry if this offends people):

--- Long speeches or speeches with too many in-jokes and references to the stag party 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink'. It's just immature and boring and the guests really aren't interested in the number of Jagerbombs that the groom managed to sink on his 'last night of freedom'

--- Not enough food (or not enough edible food)

--- Long queue for food or long queue in the receiving line

--- Babies/young children making noise during the ceremony (or even worse, bride and groom giggling when exchanging vows)

--- Too many group photographs. Lock jaw is unpleasant.

--- Balloons. Save them for birthdays. Flowers are for weddings.

--- Bride and groom having religious ceremony when neither believes in God.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I agree IRISH wedding and open bar :laugh:
    Not a good idea at all. We are bad enough without that :wink:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    .... the groom never showed up :grumble:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Friend who invited hubs to be best man, didn't ask me to be bridesmaid "because you're married" (not that I was worried - mid calf peach nylon taffeta with frills? No thanks!)
    Wedding at 12, phototgrapher took 1 hour to take photos - all standing around in the blazing sun. Got to reception to have the selection of dry, medium or sweet sherry (all pre-poured and in the sun) or fresh orange juice (ditto) - nothing lighter, anyhting else you had to pay for (nothing against a cash bar, but it is usual to buy the "welcome" drinks". By now 2pm, bride makes ME tell the caterers she wants food delayed for an hour so she can talk to poeple. 3pm we finally sit down.

Best bit - good disco with bride falling on her a** because she hadn't scraped the bottom of her shoes (as then "maybe she could take them back for a refund")
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The topper was that at the end, she was making everyone help her clean the place up!!!! LMAO

Yep, my brother and I set up a wedding and cleared the place up afterwards. Sad thing was, it was yet another cousin's wedding!! (All these cousins are on my mum's side, I'm sensing a trend here...)

We drove back to the bride's mum's house at 2am, changed into our jim jams, and washed and cleaned 500 dishes and mop the hall :huh: and we had a 600 mile drive back the next morning. Yep, it was in France.

It wasn't the worst wedding, because my brother met the love of his life there, and both families approve. Awww :smile:
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I went to one where as the bride was walking down the aisle the pianist screwed up so badly she started completely over from the beginning (while the bride was still walking). After the song was over, the pianist turned around and she was cross eyed. :noway:
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    The worst weddings are the really expensive ones where the bride has paid through the nose for everything. Usually this leads to boring weddings with no character as everything is off the shelf and has zero personality or reflection of the couple.
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate weddings so very much.

Some people just use it as an opportunity to judge and critique people they're supposed to care about. Never once was it mentioned about how happy the couple looked, or that it was a beautiful thing to see them starting their lives together.

Nope. Just cash bar, value of present, quality of food, even criticizing them for playing the kind of music they wanted at the dance. Oh the nerve of them...

If this is proper etiquette you can keep it. I don't care if my friends have a wedding in their backyard and make it BYOB. I'm there to see them get married and celebrate their love and lives together. Not to be catered to for gracing them with my presence.

You left your "friends" wedding in the middle of it because you didn't approve of her choice of songs. I think she did the right thing ending the relationship.
  • leilaphoenix
    Options
    Ahh all this required ettiquette and rules and being judged if you do something 'wrong' is the exact reason I don't want a wedding - so much pressure over stupid stuff that really doesn't matter.

When I do get married I am just gonna plan it in a few weeks - get a dress, invite a select few family and friends out for a meal at the local pub, when they arrive tell them "Surprise, we're getting married", get married, eat food, get a little drunk, go home :)

I like this idea. It shocks me how many people have such specific expectations of weddings. My wedding was very non-traditional and I like to think that everyone had amazing time. Or at least people tell me it is the best wedding they have ever been to. :)

Also, other awful weddings are where there are load of people invited who clearly don't really know or care about the couple. My advice to anyone organising a wedding is to only invite people who you like and who care about you.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    The topper was that at the end, she was making everyone help her clean the place up!!!! LMAO

Yep, my brother and I set up a wedding and cleared the place up afterwards. Sad thing was, it was yet another cousin's wedding!! (All these cousins are on my mum's side, I'm sensing a trend here...)

We drove back to the bride's mum's house at 2am, changed into our jim jams, and washed and cleaned 500 dishes and mop the hall :huh: and we had a 600 mile drive back the next morning. Yep, it was in France.

It wasn't the worst wedding, because my brother met the love of his life there, and both families approve. Awww :smile:

Yep, mom's side. This is the super frugal cousin. Her and my sister could be best friends. My other cousin and me are the frugal bashers.... lol

I've never been to such a wedding. I could sound harsh, but I guess I could never imagine having a wedding where you run out of food and have to clean afterwards. Sounds terrible. How do you have more Tecate's than FOOD?! So basically there were Tecate cans all over! We were all picking up cans. :noway:
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    I skipped out on an old friend's wedding. I was exciting to be invited, but only to the ceremony and the dance. Not the dinner. First, I would have to drive 1.5 hrs to get to your wedding, only to have to go out and find my own dinner. By the time the dance would start, I'm ready to go home. I get we aren't as close as we used to be, but screw you. I'm not driving 90+ miles to see you get married, give you a gift, and eat McD's. (or wherever we'd end up) I was part of another wedding that was just lame and boring. After spending $400 on a dress and alterations and accessories, I never heard from her again after the wedding. I paid for 1/2 of each of my bridesmaid's dresses. I only had 3 though.
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hilarious about the movie theme tunes on the dancefloor LOL!
  • gallerygirl21
    gallerygirl21 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would focus on the marriage and not the wedding. The wedding is over in a day. The biggest mistake you could make is to think your wedding is as important to your guests (or anyone else for that matter) than you and your future husband.

The worst weddings I've been to are where I KNOW the couple went into a large debt to throw the big bash. What a waste.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    This sounds awful, but my sister's wedding...for these reasons...

1.) There were a lot of teetotalers there who did not drink so...no alcohol was served.
    2.) There were a lot of prudes there...so when the dance music started hardly anyone went to the dance floor.
    3.) My sisters and I all had a pretty strict budget. She had a HUGE HUGE guest list and therefore could not afford to feed a full meal or even appetizers to everyone, so all everyone got was a small dessert...some people didn't get any at all.

The wedding was over and they left by 8:00PM...my (then) fiancee (now husband), my sister and her hubbby and I all went out for dinner and drinks afterward.
  • leilaphoenix
    Options
    It is very common in the UK to have evening only guests. I am going to a friend's reception (party only) in October and I will be traveling 600 miles to go. If you care about the person then attend the wedding, if you don't then they probably shouldn't have invited you.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    The worst wedding...my own.

I turned up...big mistake :/

Ditto (my first wife, not this one)