Good foods during menstration

Options

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Walking helps me. Unfortunately I usually get cramps late night and early morning so I just grab a cup of tea and my hot water bottle and cuddles from my OH, seems to work. :P lol
  • ShelliePAwesome
    ShelliePAwesome Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    2 beers and red meat
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well I know of an herbal hormone balancer, but it comes in pill form. It's Vitex, or chastetree extract. It DOES work...it will balance your hormones and regulate your period. It's actually one of the ingredients in Airborne....which since I am on birth control pills I can't use. About a year and a half ago I took some Airborne when I was getting sick and started my period a week early because the vitex counter-acted my BC pills.
  • crissygm
    crissygm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Heating pad usually helps me. I have PCOS and sometimes only get my period every other month and it is killer! Some light exercise also helps.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Plenty of exercise and lots of chocolate help me ????
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    WHISKEY
    WINE AND CHEESE
    ICE CREAM
    CHOCOLATE
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    fyi u dont skip periods due to changes in body
    unles s u are pre menopausal
    u should go to th e gyno about that

Actually, you do. I have already asked my doctor about it when I missed last month/

Thank you. You do.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I eat normally, but from other girls, I hear that these are options:

chocolate

pickles

ice cream
  • Lam75
    Lam75 Posts: 72
    Options
    Evening primrose oil and starflower oil have really helped me. Heat is good too. I am fully signed up member of the if it hurts that's what painkilllers were invented for brigade and take meds too.
  • dnmurray24
    dnmurray24 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree that changes in your body most definitely affect your menstrual cycle! If I get below a certain weight, my period will completely stop until I put on more weight. I should add that I was a Medical Assistant for an OBGYN for a few years, so I have seen lots of women deal with loss of periods due to body changes.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    fyi u dont skip periods due to changes in body
    unles s u are pre menopausal
    u should go to th e gyno about that

I did, and I went to the gyno and she said it's normal...her body hasn't regulated with the new healthy lifestyle yet.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I've learned that if I cut out caffiene my breasts don't get tender.

OK, thats not a food. Please don't flame me.
  • Mosley35
    Mosley35 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Drink warm water or hot tea
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This isn't a food but Thermocare makes a cramp patch. Perfect. In-discrete and stays warm over 8 hours
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Chocolate
    Crisps
    Ice cream
    Cake

Add in a hot water bottle and some painkillers and you're good to go:laugh:

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

NO!

Lots of fruits and veggies and stay off of the scale. This period of mine, which just started today, has started much easier than previously. Since I have started working out, my periods are coming like clockwork, in opposition to how they used to be. I am grateful for that, especially at 48.

I want to stave off menopause as long as I can.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a drink called Choffy? It's ground cocoa beans, kind of like coffee but with much less caffeine. But it helps to open up your blood vessels and really helps when you are in that oh so horrid time of the month! I just started drinking it for that and oh my gosh, it helps so much! Also helps if I'm craving something sweet, or I need more water during the day! It's amazing! And for you peppermint peeps out there, I bet that would taste great in the Choffy, I think I'll try that tonight!
    Here is a website you can go to for Choffy!

www.drinkchoffy.com/leebee

Can't have any caffeine. thanks though.

That's good, because caffeine will intensify your cramps. I've never read anything that said caffeine was good for relieving cramps. I don't know how to shorten the link, but this is a paper on menstrual cramps.

www.cumc.columbia.edu%2Fstudent%2Fhealth%2Fpdf%2FD%2FDysmenorrhea.pdf&ei=ALqTUayYA8n54APt4IGwBg&usg=AFQjCNGRw7oquEGT8Owh8fFQa1tm3Gjfqg&sig2=RF7odfvLD0YdxZNq6pu6BA&bvm=bv.46471029,d.dmg
  • Trallaurrum
    Trallaurrum Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A naturopath recommended clary sage oil for my monstrous cramps, massaged directly onto the abdomen and/or lower back. It actually worked really well, and smells good to boot (well, I think so, anyway.)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I read the original post and was like, WTF? I think this is why MFP allows us to have friend lists. The rest of the world does NOT, and I repeat, NOT, want to hear about your "smooth periods" and how much blood you have coming out of you. Really. We don't. If you want to ask which foods are good to consume during menstruation, super, then ask....but we don't need all the other information.

Sorry, not trying to be b!tchy, but, geez! :noway:

Wow. get over yourself. It's a period. All women have them. Life goes on. Lighten up or your face might get stuck like that.

Yes. LIfe DOES go on...we all have them...and we don't need you telling us every little detail about YOURS. I'm not upset, just thought I'd share. :drinker:

I hardly gave you details. You want details? How about when you can't change your pad for a long time and it starts to clot? Ever get that? Or how about when you've been sitting for a long time and you stand up and the blood just gushes out?

Lighten up

:laugh:
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Chocolate
    Crisps
    Ice cream
    Cake

Add in a hot water bottle and some painkillers and you're good to go:laugh:

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

NO!

Lots of fruits and veggies and stay off of the scale. This period of mine, which just started today, has started much easier than previously. Since I have started working out, my periods are coming like clockwork, in opposition to how they used to be. I am grateful for that, especially at 48.

I want to stave off menopause as long as I can.

Good advice.

Hey! We're cycle buddies! :)