House Cleaning count as Exercise?

Generally I would say no. Factors to be considered however: How long, how big is the house, are you tidying, DEEP cleaning, or Spring Cleaning? I think if you are deep cleaning (mopping, toilets, windows) that could count as exercise. As well as Spring Cleaning (cleaning out linen closets, washing window sills/trim, wiping down walls). However, if you are just picking up toys, and wiping counters I really don't think that counts.
What do you all think?

Replies

• neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    I think that it depends on what one's activity level is set at. Sedentary? Yes. Active? No.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    I would say yes. Anything that is over your standard range of movement and activity should be considered exercise.
    I you move fast, and scrub hard, etcetc you can even bring yourself short of breath, get your heart beating quickly, and sweat, all signs of physical exertion.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    I normally don't log cleaning UNLESS it is extreame cleaning like moving furniture, moping under it...climbing up and down a ladder to wash windows etc. It has to be for atleast an hour before I would log it either.

Just a personal choice, i think my body is already used to and well adapted to picking up around the house daily no need to log it.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Why bother? Just do some real exercise and log that.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    I agree with you--deep cleaning or spring cleaning, where you (me, anyway) are at it for several hours at a time, constantly moving, does count as exercise, particularly when you have a sedentary desk job like I do. If it's normal everyday pick-up, then no. I'm in the process of moving and I do actually feel a little sore from all the packing and box lifting that I'm doing, and I have been logging it as exercise.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    No. I consider exercise to be exercise.

If you work up a big sweat doing some major house cleaning, just consider it a bonus.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    I do believe you burn calories cleaning house but i never count it....i only log my exercise programs....i dont see the need to add that just to get more exercise calories just to eat more....kind of a waste..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    No, cleaning and any other non exercise activities should already be considered when you enter your activity level as sedentary, active, etc...

I walk up and down stairs at my office about 15 times a day but I do not log that...
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    No, its daily routine
  • kookanddra
    kookanddra Posts: 92
    Depends on if I went over my calories because I drank too much beer. :drinker:
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    I count it when I'm doing heavy cleaning... ex: bathroom, spring cleaning etc.. stuff that I don't do on a regular basis... you're moving & burning calories so why not count it?
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    This is the age old debate on MFP. It gets people all worked up, too.

Personally, I don't log it because it is a part of my normal daily activity. I would consider logging it if it was deep, seasonal clean and I was scaling ladders and such. It also depends on your setting - sedentary, lightly active, etc.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    If you want to eat more just eat more, don't try to justify it by calling cleaning exercise. To get any major calorie burn you need to be maintaining your heart rate at a significantly high level for 20 minutes or more. While you may be bending and sweating your calorie burn won't be much bigger than taking a leisurely walk.
  • Yes. Anything that gets you moving is exercise. Is it intense exercise? No. Are you in your fat burning zone (if you go by hr monitor measurements)? No. But there is a calorie burn every time you get moving. It just may not be substantial. Think about it like this. If you are moving (just a leisurely stroll down the street), you are burning calories. It may not be many, but you are burning them nonetheless.
  • thisdarkpassenger
    thisdarkpassenger Posts: 76 Member
    Yes, it counts. I log cleaning as exercise. I sweat more when cleaning/mopping/sweeping than anything else lol
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    To be on the safe side I wouldn't really count it.. The same way I won't count pushing a stroller for 5 blocks lol.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    I always work up a sweat while cleaning. So, as an experiment, I decided to wear my HRM while cleaning one day. Turns out I actually burned more calories than MFP estimates. So, to me, it is a form of exercise. I may not always log it, but I consider it to be a calorie burning activity.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    I don't necessarily log it, but I do clean houses as a side job and I have 4 hours to turn it over before the new tenants arrive. It's 4 hours of the most intense cleaning I've ever done in my life and my body is usually wicked sore the next day. So, I think I get a great calorie burn, but don't always log it. Guess this probably doesn't answer your question? Sorry!
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    just because your not working to the level of that Insanity workout doesn't mean that it is not excercise. That being said, I don't think that standing at the sink washing dishes counts, but I do count putting laundry away. Let me explain, I put one thing on a hanger and walk from the laundry room all the way to my bedroom closet and then back. I do each garment separately. I consistantly stay in motion. I also count vacuuming, gardening, and occasional cooking experiences. Anything that gets you up and moving should count, IMO. But, I do sit at a desk for 9 hrs and a car for 1 hour on weekdays so I am very sedentary.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I don't necessarily log it, but I do clean houses as a side job and I have 4 hours to turn it over before the new tenants arrive. It's 4 hours of the most intense cleaning I've ever done in my life and my body is usually wicked sore the next day. So, I think I get a great calorie burn, but don't always log it. Guess this probably doesn't answer your question? Sorry!

this just means your activity level should be set to "very active"